Prospect Info: Lukas Jasek - No. 174 pick 2015 Entry Draft

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
For me personally, past the top 6 OHL players, it was slim pickings from the OHL this year. Some very small D men, some big but slow D men and not much talent from the FWDs. So that may be something they found as well.

Good observation.I read through Brock Otten's OHL list and nothing much really jumped out as being a good value pick in the mid-late rounds even for bottom 6 type players.

This is where your scouts have to earn their paycheque and go find the best talent where ever it's hiding.Gonna be real interesting to see how these Euros and the USHL guys pan out.

I like this pick a lot,very nice upside for a late round pick.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Has anyone heard anything about how he went pointless in the U18s this year after lighting up the Hlinka? Was he hurt maybe?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Seems like the type of late round pick many HF'ers have been clamouring for. Polar opposite to Mackenze Stewart?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Date of Birth August 28, 1997
Height 5' 11.75
Weight 172
Country Czech Republic
Position Right Wing
Shoots Right

"A high energy player who can really shoot the puck. Has very good acceleration and fluid stride. Gets to the loose pucks and has good instincts where to go with it. Long term project who needs to build strength. His puck smarts alone will garnish him consideration."

—Bill Placzek

That article on page 3 listed him at 6'1. Would be curious to see which number is more accurate, as 6'1 is a nice frame for a fast goalscorer to grow into.

We sure seem to be stocking up on shooters though, that's for sure.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
That article on page 3 listed him at 6'1. Would be curious to see which number is more accurate, as 6'1 is a nice frame for a fast goalscorer to grow into.

We sure seem to be stocking up on shooters though, that's for sure.

There sure seems to be an emphasis from the organization on trying to shoot a high percentage. Sounds good to me.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Seems like the type of late round pick many HF'ers have been clamouring for. Polar opposite to Mackenze Stewart?

Yeah, also well stated in that "inlouwetrust" link: " I'd certainly prefer to take him in the later rounds over a CHL banger whose best hope is being a 4th line energy guy. "

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
After missing out on Watson last year (in the 7th round too, sigh)
I wholeheartedly condone these types of picks
Definitely hope these types of selections become more of the norm in the years to come

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So undersized, skill picks from Europe now fall under a potential Delorme umbrella, to go along with the big, talentless guys? Seems like all the basis are covered on that front.

Could you continue to say with a straight face Ron Delorme has been promoted under Jim Benning after seeing this draft play out?

Hard not to like the new directive here. Benning seems to have brought a ton of change to the scouting department and based on the past results with this group in place, that can only be a good thing.

Delorme was a bad WHL scout who did a bad job putting together our draft list.

The narrative that he took nothing but WHL coke machines is totally false. He took bad players from everywhere of all types.

Between 2000 and 2007, Delorme drafted :

Pavel Duma
Fedor Fedorov
Evgeny Gladskikh
Konstantin Mikhailov
Kirill Koltsov
Ilya Krikunov
Sergei Shirokov
Juraj Simek
Ilya Kablukov

... all skill forwards from Eastern Europe. After Gillis came in, he didn't want Russians so that dropped off. But taking this sort of player doesn't go against anything we know about Delorme.

This draft looks like classic Delorme, to be honest. Lots of 'toolsy' players who under-achieved and under-produced last year. Although, to be fair, 'classic Delorme' and 'classic Benning' would seem to have a lot of overlap and value very similar things, so it's hard to tell what's happening.

It's reached the point where some of the exaggerated criticisms of Delorme actually work in his favour. No, he isn't a complete braindead corpse who took Nathan Smiths and Taylor Ellingtons and Mackenze Stewarts with every pick every year. But that doesn't mean he has been even remotely decent.

GarryValkyrie

Mar 14, 2008
Vancouver
Delorme was a bad WHL scout who did a bad job putting together our draft list.

The narrative that he took nothing but WHL coke machines is totally false. He took bad players from everywhere of all types.

Between 2000 and 2007, Delorme drafted :

Pavel Duma
Fedor Fedorov
Evgeny Gladskikh
Konstantin Mikhailov
Kirill Koltsov
Ilya Krikunov
Sergei Shirokov
Juraj Simek
Ilya Kablukov

... all skill forwards from Eastern Europe. After Gillis came in, he didn't want Russians so that dropped off. But taking this sort of player doesn't go against anything we know about Delorme.

This draft looks like classic Delorme, to be honest. Lots of 'toolsy' players who under-achieved and under-produced last year. Although, to be fair, 'classic Delorme' and 'classic Benning' would seem to have a lot of overlap and value very similar things, so it's hard to tell what's happening.

It's reached the point where some of the exaggerated criticisms of Delorme actually work in his favour. No, he isn't a complete braindead corpse who took Nathan Smiths and Taylor Ellingtons and Mackenze Stewarts with every pick every year. But that doesn't mean he has been even remotely decent.
Half that list is UGHH, however Koltsov, Shirokov were ok and Simek & Fedorov were decent rolls of the dice.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm so confused. Now Delorme is responsible for every Euro pick that didn't work out, not just WHL picks? Or is it just simply every pick that didnt workk out over the last 4 GMs goes to Delorme, while the picks that did are credited to Gradin (or Detroit) and Crawford? Gets really hard to keep up with who we are supposed to hate and why, cuz the criteria seems to keep changing depending on the circumstances.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm so confused. Now Delorme is responsible for every Euro pick that didn't work out, not just WHL picks? Or is it just simply every pick that didnt workk out over the last 4 GMs goes to Delorme, while the picks that did are credited to Gradin (or Detroit) and Crawford? Gets really hard to keep up with who we are supposed to hate and why, cuz the criteria seems to keep changing depending on the circumstances.

Huh?

The narrative being spun was that Delorme couldn't have been involved in the draft because we took a couple European forwards.

Except Delorme took tons of small European forwards during the 2000s. It seems our Eastern European scouting wasn't very good, true enough.

Delorme was the head scout. As head scout, he supervised the compiling of our draft list and, yeah, we took European guys.

Again, it's like people make this assumption that Delorme took nothing but Taylor Ellingtons. And then use that baseline as evidence of Benning's 'improvement'.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Jasek was not selected in the CHL Import Draft. Disappointing, mostly because I wanted to be able to watch him more next season.

Edit: Didn't realize there was a second round.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Doesn't look like Lukas Jasek will be playing in the CHL, as he wasn't drafted in the Import Draft.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Welp, this is probably for the best for us getting to see him in the WJCs at least. Czech hockey is getting very upitty about improving their development program, and likes to keep their guys at home, so at least he'll be on their good list.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
horrible news that he wasn't selected. Czech mens league is the worst place for him to develop. My hopes for him have taken a nose dive now that he's not coming over. Have higher hopes for Zhukenov.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
horrible news that he wasn't selected. Czech mens league is the worst place for him to develop. My hopes for him have taken a nose dive now that he's not coming over. Have higher hopes for Zhukenov.

As I understand he's under contract to his Czech team for one more year meaning he was never really a candidate to be selected this year. Possible next year however. Don't think the Czech Extraliga is necessarily that bad for him, depends on his role and ice time.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
As I understand he's under contract to his Czech team for one more year meaning he was never really a candidate to be selected this year. Possible next year however. Don't think the Czech Extraliga is necessarily that bad for him, depends on his role and ice time.

Training, coaching, ice time, development. There is a whole factor of reasons why he needs to come over to play junior. If he doesn't come over next year I wouldn't hold out hopes of him developing into an NHL player at all.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm not that bummed about him not being selected. Czech's don't have the KHL factor you have to worry about. I'm sure he'll be happy to sign his ELC once the Canucks feel he's ready for the AHL.

Plus some Euro's really struggle in the CHL due to the language barrier, and other factors that may or may not be true(more focus on team system than player development, not enough practice time, etc.). Not saying I believe that, but it's been thrown out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad