News Article: Luigi Aquilini sued following deaths of 2 children in Washington State

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That's awful. Hope the family gets every penny the legal system can grant.

There is very little incentive to give the Canucks organization a single dollar.

As an outside fan, I was planning on going to Vancouver for a game around New Year’s. Is the family/organization really so bad that I should reconsider that?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Surprised people are already so supportive of this with so little details. It's possible this was caused by a car hitting an electrical box and I'm not sure it's a landlord's responsibility to set up smoke detectors where this happened.

We get it, the Aquilinis aren't the best people and this is pretty sad, but that doesn't mean they're actually at fault here. Without more information this reeks of the overly litigious nature of the US legal system.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is a civil suit. Typically they occur after a criminal case. Like OJ and Kobe for example.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
This is tragic. Unthinkable grief! Crushing loss like this leads to brutal self recrimination. A person in that kind of hell would seek any solace. A lawsuit assigning blame might help them believe they were victims of someone else's actions?

Landlords typically meet the letter of the law as a practice. It would be surprising if this was not the case here. A big money guy wouldn't risk indemnity!

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
The family seems to be a magnet for lawsuits... From former business partners, to ex-wives, to immigrant workers, etc. Are they all out to squeeze money out of a billionaire family? I'd imagine they'd argue they are... but being a magnet for lawsuits, to me, it seems like they are probably not above board in their personal and business dealings. If what they do is criminal is up to the courts to decide... but trying to be seen as good corporate citizens requires a level of ethics that extends beyond being deemed criminals by the courts, IMO. To me, the impression I get is greedy, greasy and shady. I love the Canucks, so I'm happy they spend too the cap... but everything else about them I can do without.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That’s not the point. The point is 1040 and 650 didn’t make it into a story. Simply mentioning it isn’t enough.

Because it has nothing to do with sports other than the fact it involves the owners who owns the Canucks. It's not like the Robert Kraft "story" where he we left a massage parlour happy just before the AFC Championship game.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
As an outside fan, I was planning on going to Vancouver for a game around New Year’s. Is the family/organization really so bad that I should reconsider that?

IMO, no; they aren't egregiously worse than a handful of other team owners. My comment was that this layers on top of my personal disappointment with the on-ice product over the last 5 years.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Because it has nothing to do with sports other than the fact it involves the owners who owns the Canucks. It's not like the Robert Kraft "story" where he we left a massage parlour happy just before the AFC Championship game.
Hot take by me but nobody actually cares about that Kraft guy busting his nut at a massage parlour.

Reactions: Hit the post

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
That’s not the point. The point is 1040 and 650 didn’t make it into a story. Simply mentioning it isn’t enough.
1040 made it a story for days, Matt Sekeres and Blake Price ran a poll for a show and they tweeted about it several times and argued with people that said it wasn't a relevant topic. They also contacted the NHL for comment.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I honestly do not understand you quoting me
I read your response as an implication that the story has gotten exposure and responded by saying it's almost common knowledge at this point, implying that I'm not sure what 1040/650 can do to apply pressure which isn't already there. Now that i think more about it, though, I think the media should be more interested in this.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I read your response as an implication that the story has gotten exposure and responded by saying it's almost common knowledge at this point, implying that I'm not sure what 1040/650 can do to apply pressure which isn't already there. Now that i think more about it, though, I think the media should be more interested in this.
Oh is see, my response was about the media coverage for the not paying the workers and withholding water stuff, I don't know what play this story has got.

Personally, I haven't read the articles about this topic so I don't have an opinion outside of how bad it is for the kids.

1040 and 650 have such a small reach as far as how many demographics they reach that I doubt what they say about anything would have much impact

If a person really has a problem with the likes of corporate corruption they have options that I hope they take... The best option for me is to PAY for news content, That way good journalists can actually do some investigating instead of click bate and opinion pieces, And try really hard to avoid clicking on news that is not good reporting about things you think are important.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hot take by me but nobody actually cares about that Kraft guy busting his nut at a massage parlour.

Well in Kraft's case he's being charged with soliciting prostitution at a massage parlour who is allegedly involved with sex trafficking. That's quite a bit different from trying to screw migrant workers to save a buck. I suppose it's because people expect corporations to screw you over and for billionaires to become richer and richer while the middle class disappears. That's hard to change. But if there is a chance to put a rich billionaire in jail for a sex offence?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It would actually be better if the Aquilini's had been caught with their pants down in a massage parlour.

This situation smacks of old Kentucky coal miners lament. Guy works long hours in the coal pit for pittance; lives in a substandard company house and as Tennessee Ernie Ford once sang: "St. Peter don't call me because I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store'. In this case, the house burned down and a family lost their kids. Another sad story in the capitalist credo of some billionaires, 'the exploitation of man by man"

My God I wish these sleazeballs would just sell the team. Then they could just go on screwing people over in relative anonymity. The only people who'd care would be the high-priced lawyers and the luckless people who want their day in court.

Reactions: sexydonut

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Surprised people are already so supportive of this with so little details. It's possible this was caused by a car hitting an electrical box and I'm not sure it's a landlord's responsibility to set up smoke detectors where this happened.

We get it, the Aquilinis aren't the best people and this is pretty sad, but that doesn't mean they're actually at fault here. Without more information this reeks of the overly litigious nature of the US legal system.
I agree with this. There’s plenty to hate these guys for but this seems like stupidity by the parents

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I agree with this. There’s plenty to hate these guys for but this seems like stupidity by the parents

There's a difference between desperation and stupidity. Imagine a world where parents didn't have to choose between impoverishment and childcare.

The Acquilinis are billionaires in no small part because they push down their costs onto those that are least able to afford them. The contrast between their wealth and the death of children ought to make any decent human seriously reconsider how "fair" our systems are.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Well in Kraft's case he's being charged with soliciting prostitution at a massage parlour who is allegedly involved with sex trafficking. That's quite a bit different from trying to screw migrant workers to save a buck. I suppose it's because people expect corporations to screw you over and for billionaires to become richer and richer while the middle class disappears. That's hard to change. But if there is a chance to put a rich billionaire in jail for a sex offence?

Two children are dead. Please elaborate on these essential differences you are talking about.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Two children are dead. Please elaborate on these essential differences you are talking about.

What it says about society is another matter entirely but in the current Aquilini case there's multiple degrees of separation between the migrant family & the accident and the actual Aquilini family. This is the first I've heard of Kraft but if he was engaging in what is considered illegal prostitution then you have him linked directly to a crime.

It's kind of why the last Aquilini family news was so noteworthy, not just that migrant workers were being mistreated but that the family patriarch was literally right there himself denying the poor workers water until they finished an hours work.

Reactions: F A N

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
What it says about society is another matter entirely but in the current Aquilini case there's multiple degrees of separation between the migrant family & the accident and the actual Aquilini family. This is the first I've heard of Kraft but if he was engaging in what is considered illegal prostitution then you have him linked directly to a crime.

It's kind of why the last Aquilini family news was so noteworthy, not just that migrant workers were being mistreated but that the family patriarch was literally right there himself denying the poor workers water until they finished an hours work.

That's the at the crux of the problem IMO -- the system permits these multiple degrees of separation in the first place. I am quite confident that if you start to hold the top end executives directly responsible for the bad acts committed while their business profits, the number of such bad acts committed under their watch would diminish exponentially.

The punishment doesn't even have to be jail time.... maybe make them forfeit all profits/income/revenue for a set period of time.

Reactions: sexydonut

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
That's the at the crux of the problem IMO -- the system permits these multiple degrees of separation in the first place. I am quite confident that if you start to hold the top end executives directly responsible for the bad acts committed while their business profits, the number of such bad acts committed under their watch would diminish exponentially.

The punishment doesn't even have to be jail time.... maybe make them forfeit all profits/income/revenue for a set period of time.

The problem with that idea is that business people will do their best to separate themselves from the business entities, to avoid themselves or the business taking that punishment. And if a business has to give up all its revenue then all that would happen is revenue would somehow be diverted or something. also, you cannot or rather should not take away a businesses incentive to make a profit. Because if they have to give up revenue then they simply would not bother making any. Basically, a fine is much simpler and that already exists. and in this case, the American legal system might not be the worst thing since the family can sue to get what they can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad