News Article: Luigi Aquilini sued following deaths of 2 children in Washington State

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think you're missing the "legal picture." First of all, this was a summary trial and a simple case. Pursuing "every avenue" is either not necessary or doesn't take much time. Second of all, it's not like Six Factors is a mom and pop store where they lucked out on a big contract and was risking everything to do this deal and biting more than they can chew. They market themselves as Google's Leading Cloud Partner in Western Canada. That deal was worth $600K US and it doesn't look like they were paid up front.
Whatever....but you'll never convince me that the spate of lawsuits involving suppliers and contractors, large and small; wrongful dismissals; wage disputes for foreign workers; etc. etc. are just the 'normal cost of doing business'.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Whether we like it or not, the owners know how to play the game and make sure there are loop holes in their contracts.

I miss the Griffiths.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Whatever....but you'll never convince me that the spate of lawsuits involving suppliers and contractors, large and small; wrongful dismissals; wage disputes for foreign workers; etc. etc. are just the 'normal cost of doing business'.
Nobody died where I worked while I’ve been working for the same company the last 20 years.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Damn...that is very tragic what that family went through. Saving both your children and then losing them a few days later. They definitely need the compensation.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
...and people were taking ethical stances on not hiring Dean Lombardi. That scumbag is a saint in comparison.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Whatever what? You don't seem to disagree with anything I have said and I'm not interested in convincing you of anything.

I said before that the Aquilinis have a reputation for being cheap (as in they will leave others with the bill). $$$ corporations gets sued all the time. You just don't hear it because some companies prefer to settle and avoid what they think is bad press and some prefer to fight so others think twice before suing. In this case, the Aquilinis are just fighting about the damages. That's the legal picture you're missing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wish Tom Gaglardi had bought the team instead. The Aquilinis are a bunch of greasy crooks, whereas the Gaglardis seem to be respected and aren't constantly getting sued because they screwed vulnerable people over.

I'm not a fan of calling out the players though. That's not the type of ownership and management I want.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whatever what? You don't seem to disagree with anything I have said and I'm not interested in convincing you of anything.

I said before that the Aquilinis have a reputation for being cheap (as in they will leave others with the bill). $$$ corporations gets sued all the time. You just don't hear it because some companies prefer to settle and avoid what they think is bad press and some prefer to fight so others think twice before suing. In this case, the Aquilinis are just fighting about the damages. That's the legal picture you're missing.
So I guess the message is, if you're going to do business with the Aquilini's you'd better hire yourself a good lawyer. This is just tremendous advice for temporary foreign workers or hourly working stiffs who barely make enough to put food on the table; or small businesses, who even if they have legal counsel, aren't likely to do much about going up against the corporate downtown lawyers hired by the Aquilini's.

To quote Ebenezer Scrooge talking to a dying Jacob Marley: "You mustn't reproach yourself Jacob, we were always good men of business." To which Marley replied: "Men of business!?...mankind was our business....his common welfare was 'our business'.

Maybe the Canuck owners will be visited by the three ghosts of Christmas and become 'changed men'. But I'm not holding my breath.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Actually rabbits do eat their own **** sometimes. They sometimes can’t process all the nutrients in the food they eat, so they sometimes have to eat it twice (if you know what I mean).

Only thing I remember from first year Biology at Langara.

:laugh:

Useless parasitic rabbits. Eats their own shit. Causes protein poisoning.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So I guess the message is, if you're going to do business with the Aquilini's you'd better hire yourself a good lawyer. This is just tremendous advice for temporary foreign workers or hourly working stiffs who barely make enough to put food on the table; or small businesses, who even if they have legal counsel, aren't likely to do much about going up against the corporate downtown lawyers hired by the Aquilini's.

No the message is do some due diligence. It's a free market. Whether you're a small business or a fortune 500 company if you're doing a sizable deal and it involves purchasing materials that can only be used for that project then make sure you can handle the risk and have a damages clause in your contract. In any business you will have clients who change their mind and want to cancel their order or fail to pay the bill. Bill Gates is one of the most giving philanthropist in the world yet Microsoft hardly played nice and was sued for violating anti-trust laws.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
No the message is do some due diligence. It's a free market. Whether you're a small business or a fortune 500 company if you're doing a sizable deal and it involves purchasing materials that can only be used for that project then make sure you can handle the risk and have a damages clause in your contract. In any business you will have clients who change their mind and want to cancel their order or fail to pay the bill. Bill Gates is one of the most giving philanthropist in the world yet Microsoft hardly played nice and was sued for violating anti-trust laws.
It's a free market until it's isn't when someone artificially suppresses/corrupts that market via politics.

There's only so many suppliers in any given geographical area.

This is how you get rich.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's a free market until it's isn't when someone artificially suppresses/corrupts that market via politics.

There's only so many suppliers in any given geographical area.

This is how you get rich.

Sure. The rich are often rich for a reason and the rich getting richer while the middle class has been shrinking for two decades (although the shrinkage might have halted).

Businesses are there to make money and if they control the supply you can bet they will keep prices high. Eliminate patents and our prescription drugs will become cheaper but it discourages innovation. Sometimes there are no choices. Sometimes the free market allows for choice. It's like how developers are controlling the supply to keep prices high. As a consumer you don't have to buy from one of those developers. Same goes for companies doing business with Aquilini. They don't have to do business with them. Those temp foreign workers probably don't have much choice but to work for Aquilini. But they aren't forced into working for Aquilinis.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Useless parasitic rabbits. Eats their own ****. Causes protein poisoning.
oh another thing I remember from 1st year Biology; Sharks don't actually urinate. The secrete their "stuff" via their skin after accumulating it in sort of storage tanks in their body. Not sure why those two things stuck in my memory banks. :confused:

It's too bad Fredo Aquaman wasn't given a 'no show' job at the Canucks. Guess the boss didn't feel he earned his bones yet. Sure had tried to kill the Canucks though.:sarcasm:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sure. The rich are often rich for a reason and the rich getting richer while the middle class has been shrinking for two decades (although the shrinkage might have halted).

Businesses are there to make money and if they control the supply you can bet they will keep prices high. Eliminate patents and our prescription drugs will become cheaper but it discourages innovation. Sometimes there are no choices. Sometimes the free market allows for choice. It's like how developers are controlling the supply to keep prices high. As a consumer you don't have to buy from one of those developers. Same goes for companies doing business with Aquilini. They don't have to do business with them. Those temp foreign workers probably don't have much choice but to work for Aquilini. But they aren't forced into working for Aquilinis.

It's a bigger issue than having or not having options.

It's about having moral business ethics.

Money over morality is why our southern neighbors are so effed up.

Not to mention the BCLC BS.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...eep-money-laundering-records-secret-1.5456012

Speaking of options, it's not like BC sports fans have any options for sports entertainment.

And you can bet your ass that the Aquilinis are going to do everything in their power to keep it that way.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's a bigger issue than having or not having options.

It's about having moral business ethics.

Money over morality is why our southern neighbors are so effed up.

Not to mention the BCLC BS.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...eep-money-laundering-records-secret-1.5456012

Speaking of options, it's not like BC sports fans have any options for sports entertainment.

And you can bet your ass that the Aquilinis are going to do everything in their power to keep it that way.

Not disagreeing here. I'm just not expecting moral business ethics or the greater populace to be principled and vote with their wallets. I mean if you think Aquilinis lack moral business ethics then voting with your wallet is to never watch a game whether live or video and don't spend a dime in support. If every one does that sooner or later they will have to sell.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I wish Tom Gaglardi had bought the team instead. The Aquilinis are a bunch of greasy crooks, whereas the Gaglardis seem to be respected and aren't constantly getting sued because they screwed vulnerable people over.

I dont know
They are both the same
Northland Properties (Gaglardi Family) was sued for $15 million for foreign workers unpaid wages at their Denny's joints. The exact same lawsuit the aqualinis faced at their farms.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Quick take.

Did the tank thread get Aquilini'ed?

Think about that question very hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad