News Article: Lucic's Classy Goodbye to Boston

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'll miss him. It was time for him to go, but I'll still miss him like hell. It's going to be so weird not seeing him out there opening night. It's gonna be even weirder to see him in a different jersey. I saw a picture of a #17 Lucic Kings jersey the other day... Just looked plain wrong. He was no stranger to criticism around here, but he was also a fan favorite, and for a good reason. He was our identity. He was a big reason why there's a new banner in the Garden... and why there was almost two. He did everything he could in 2013 to win, shame we couldn't pull it out.

As long as he's not a Hab I'll always root for him! He's going to kick ass with LA and I wish him happy hunting! :)

It's so easy to say "Trade X" or "Let X walk". Same things I said about Ference/Thornton/Peverley/etc recently. It's a lot tougher when it actually happens. Good move or not, the Bruins are a big part of my life and he was a big part of the Bruins.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
imagine if Sweeney trades Loui for a good return and then signs Lucic as a UFA.

He would be the smartest man in hockey :laugh:

but for real though, this hurts to see. I am really happy with the return Sweeney got, but I still wish we could have kept Looch.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
:(:(:(:(

As someone who has been an advocate of trading Looch for over a year and was and am happy about the trade return, this hurt. I think it was time but I will miss the guy. He was a huge part of this team and its identity for so long.

So long #17, thank you for absolutely everything.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
He's probably going to sign in Vancouver as a UFA. In a perfect world he'd re-sign with the Bruins at 6m per for 5 years after this season. Hope he has a great season with the Kings.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
Very heartfelt. I think Looch will really enjoy his time out in LA, and maybe he'll end up back in Vancouver when all's said and done, but no matter where he goes, I hope he knows he'll always have a home here, that he's one of our own.

man that team was fun to watch. every time we lose one of them it hurts.

lake placid
best 3rd period team in hockey, best 3rd period team in hockey

so many great memories.
The 2011 team was just full of great characters. There's a Bruce Arthur article from the Penguins series two years ago that opened like this:

"The Boston Bruins dressing room is a carnival of types. Zdeno Chara is the giant, looming, with big eyes and skinny calves. Milan Lucic is a boulder with perhaps the most hockey-appropriate face in the NHL, rough-hewn, and seems to be carrying muscles on his back. Brad Marchand has previously embraced the nickname Nose Face Killah, while Jaromir Jagr is sporting mutton chops. Shawn Thornton looks like he should be in movies, maybe guarding the doorway to a bar. Patrice Bergeron’s face should be a bust in a museum."

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Love that guy. I'll miss him on the B's, but luckily I can walk down the street and still see him play here in LA. Only owned a Lucic Bruins jersey, and I don't have a King's one yet...

Edit: Hope he walks at the end of the year, and comes home having bought us some great picks and prospects with his year abroad.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Strangely,I think one of my favourite Lucic moments was when he scored to make it 2-1 against Chicago in game 6 in 2013. I was ecstatic ,thought for sure we were going to game 7 and onto another Cup. :sarcasm:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Best of luck in LA.

The old lady next to the bench will be .missing you.

You are a classy guy Looch.

Would love you to return to the B's.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
I wonder how much he paid someone to write that up

Fans and public are so easily duped by faint gestures of sincerity. The drama of it all.

Any and every big name player in pro sports does this whenever they leave a town.

Classy. Nah! I would just call him a few days late and a few hard shifts short.

Last edited:

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
I will always remember the mod's night out game where me TP and doubleminor met up for a game. We got to see Lucic kick the crap out of Komisarek as a leaf. Great memory I will always remember.

man we are losing our cup winning team one at a time. Going to be a long time before we get a team like that again.

Milan "try and bite my finger" Lucic
David "lead the post season is scoring" Krejci
Nathan "Mr. Clutch" Horton.

Brad "because I felt like it" Marchand
Patrice "Mr. effort" Bergeron
Mark "the jacket" Recchi

Rich "Raptor Jesus" Peverley
Chris "The Cage" Kelly
Michael "The Goalie" Ryder

Merlot - Best 4th line in Hockey
"Sugar" Shawn Thornton
Gregory "Soup" Campbell
Daniel "Yippee" Paille

Zdeno "That 2 liter coke looks small in your hand" Chara
Johnny "Rocket" Boychuk
Andy "The Finger" Ference
Dennis "The German Hammer" Sidenberg
Adam "Darth Quaider" McQuaid
Tomas "I helped just enough" Kaberle

Tim "Bunker" Thomas

fill in
Tyler "one great game" Seguin

lake placid

so many great memories.

Good nicknames, but Seguin had 2 great games.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I wonder how much he paid someone to write that up

Lucic, if you've ever heard him interviewed, is intelligent and articulate on many subjects. He has an impressive passion for the history of the NHL - Caryn Switaj would joke that he was he go-to guy if any member of the Bruins was approaching a career landmark.

That thank-you letter is well-written but certainly not a master's thesis. Why shouldn't Lucic have written it himself?

I'll miss the guy terribly. Loved him with Krejci - the ultimate wingman, in more ways than one. He'll always be a Bruin.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
Best of luck in LA.

The old lady next to the bench will be .missing you.

You are a classy guy Looch.

Would love you to return to the B's.

Will miss you too Ladyfan....It is a business and perhaps one day I shall return to play for Boston....love Milan Lucic....
I hope this cheers you up little.....:)

All the best to you Milan Lucic in LA.

Last edited:

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
I will always remember the mod's night out game where me TP and doubleminor met up for a game. We got to see Lucic kick the crap out of Komisarek as a leaf. Great memory I will always remember.

man we are losing our cup winning team one at a time. Going to be a long time before we get a team like that again.

Mark "the jacket" Recchi

Chris "The Cage" Kelly

"Sugar" Shawn Thornton
Gregory "Soup" Campbell
Daniel "Yippee" Paille

Johnny "Rocket" Boychuk

Tim "Bunker" Thomas

fill in

lake placid

so many great memories.

I'll NEVER forget that team, as long as I live. I still regularly watch the extended highlights of every one of the 16 wins and every June 15th, until I'm 6' under I will watch the full Game 7. I loved that team, everything about them.

The best thing, the beauty of that team and that playoffs was that EVERY single guy contributed in some key way at some point along the way.

We don't get out of round 1 without the 3rd line and Timmy's toe nail. Round 2 was Timmy and Krejci (Krech totally dominated round 2). Round 3 was everyone and Timmy's air tight Game 7 and round 4 was Bergy's line, Boychuk finishing Kesler, Seid's and The Captain making the Sedin's non factors and Timmy.

I adore that club.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Boston fans will always love you, Milan. Thank you for your hard work and keeping the spirit of what it means to be a Bruin always in mind.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
A great bruin, really the prototype. Shame he is gone. Fleecing sharks gives chance to salvage the trade but Lucic was the teams vocal leader and a central part of the core.

when he got here the team stunk and hadn't been tough in years. And a lot of fans dressed as yellow seats in the lower bowl. He as much as anyone changed that. Should have retired a bruin.

In 2 years we've traded Lucic Hamilton seguin and boychuk. For those 4 foundational players next years bruins roster will have loui erikkson, jimmy Hayes, Brett Connolly and maybe morrow/miller to show for it. Bleeping pathetic.

Sure we got some futures, some who will b nothing and others that might help in 2019.

Some of this mess happened on chias watch some on Sweeneys watch.....ALL on neelys watch.

I have faith in the shrinking core, z, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, rask, I suspect they will find a way to get in playoffs. I sure hope they do. But the bruins have been one of the leagues most feared teams and a legit cup contender for years now. That era is clearly over. Best of luck to Lucic, he was a pleasure to watch.

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011

Mark "the jacket" Recchi

Chris "The Cage" Kelly

"Sugar" Shawn Thornton
Gregory "Soup" Campbell
Daniel "Yippee" Paille

Johnny "Rocket" Boychuk

Tim "Bunker" Thomas

fill in

lake placid

so many great memories.

Great Post. Was such a fun team to watch. Best Bruins team in my 33 years as a fan.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Mark "the jacket" Recchi

Chris "The Cage" Kelly

"Sugar" Shawn Thornton
Gregory "Soup" Campbell
Daniel "Yippee" Paille

Johnny "Rocket" Boychuk

Tim "Bunker" Thomas

fill in

lake placid

so many great memories.

Amen.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

but for real though, this hurts to see. I am really happy with the return Sweeney got, but I still wish we could have kept Looch.

That would be nominated for the best series of moves ever.

When can we have a SJ Tanking thread?

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

I'd would offer him 6y/$6.5M, but almost safe to say he will get a lot more than that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Classy stuff

Did Dougie take out a good bye ad?? No? We shall toss marshmallows at him upon his return

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I can't think of a player,in Boston's history that I'm having a harder time letting go of than Looch. Seeing Looch go is comparable to when Bourque was traded, or when Orr went to Chicago. I get why it all had to happen but I'm gonna miss Lucic. I'll always cheer for him. Good luck Milan Lucic, always in our hearts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad