Value of: Lucic

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Actually it seems more like you don't. The Oilers are in Cap hell and will be hard pressed to improve without moving either Lucic or Russell. If you fail to make some space you have to sign about 11 players for 19 mil 7 of which are RFA's.

Min offers for RFA's

Strome 2,750,000
Slepy 1,017,500
Caggi 1,017,500
Pakarinin 797,500
Davidson 1,567,500
Benning 1,017,500

Total: 8,167,500

You may have noticed Nurse is missing. What does he cost? You've got 11 mil to sign Nurse and 4 more players assuming everyone of your RFA's accepts just a 10% raise. Let's be nice and call Nurse 4mil? so 7 mil for 4 guys in a dream world. Something has to give. How do the Oilers upgrade anywhere?

I'll just say that perhaps you should look up the rules for qualifying offers. After you do that we can go over the other problems with your post.

Reactions: TrentonF

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Many teams would love to have overpaid by 1-1.5m for the output Lucic gives (Look at Price and Montreal and other contracts in comparison). The only anchors are in the minds of overreacting Oilers fans.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
your'e right, he doesnt have negative value but if a team is trading for him either Edmonton will need to retain or another cap dump contract is coming back. and as you said he has a full NMC (Chiarelli has a fetish for those). Tough contract to move
Good thing we don't need to or want to move him. If we dump Lucic then our most experienced NHL LW is Iiro Pakarinen, and the most skilled is Drake Cagguila. Does nothing to help our depth issues at all.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'll just say that perhaps you should look up the rules for qualifying offers. After you do that we can go over the other problems with your post.
My bad, 5% on everyone but Strome who you can offer the same, so what's that 2 or 300k? You really think they will all be signed without raises?

what else you got?

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
My bad, 5% on everyone but Strome who you can offer thee same, so what's that 2 or 300k? You really think they will all be signed without raises?

what else you got?
The only RFA we have who has earned a substantial raise is Darnell Nurse. Strome, Slepyshev, Pakarinen, Davidson and Benning are all likely candidates for the minimum raise. Only Davidson has had a good year for us. Benning may get a bit more based off of last season, but he has been rough this year. Cagguila probably gets a bit more of a raise, but still not much. Cap Friendly has us with 14 million in cap space next year, not counting any cap increases. Factor in 4 million for Nurse and a combined 2 million raise for the rest of our RFA's (which is a generous estimate), we still have 10 million to find a replacement top six left winger for Maroon's spot, a 2nd line right winger, and a 4th line centre. And that doesn't cover the cap increase or possible trades that we could do with swapping a defenseman (Sekera or Klefbom) for a scoring winger.

The Oilers are find cap wise. We can't sign any more stupid contracts, but we have room to improve the team.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
are you under the impression that the Oilers aren't a tough team? Cause if that's what you think you haven't watched a hell of a lot of them recently. Used to be that the way to beat the Oilers was to lean on them a little bit and they couldn't do anything. Teams tried that last year and lost a lot of games cause the Oilers are now capable of pushing back with anyone. So teams changed, now they beat the Oilers with speed. Lucic was a big part of taking a team of cream puffs and making them much much harder to play against and anyone that can't see that isn't really looking.

Lucic is fine for the Oilers, he brings something they still need, the problem is a lot of the other wingers are a bad mix to go with that.
This.

Multiple Oilers players have been on record to say they feel 2 inches taller with Lucic on the team...and are not afraid to push back.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The only RFA we have who has earned a substantial raise is Darnell Nurse. Strome, Slepyshev, Pakarinen, Davidson and Benning are all likely candidates for the minimum raise. Only Davidson has had a good year for us. Benning may get a bit more based off of last season, but he has been rough this year. Cagguila probably gets a bit more of a raise, but still not much. Cap Friendly has us with 14 million in cap space next year, not counting any cap increases. Factor in 4 million for Nurse and a combined 2 million raise for the rest of our RFA's (which is a generous estimate), we still have 10 million to find a replacement top six left winger for Maroon's spot, a 2nd line right winger, and a 4th line centre. And that doesn't cover the cap increase or possible trades that we could do with swapping a defenseman (Sekera or Klefbom) for a scoring winger.

The Oilers are find cap wise. We can't sign any more stupid contracts, but we have room to improve the team.
You overlooked something.

Cap friendly has you with 14 mil, needing 11 guys. They have already blanked all your UFA's and RFA's. I raised the Cap to 80 mil for you guys.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Lucic in his prime yes.

On an Oilers team with McDavid and some really sweet top line talent, Lucic makes you tougher and it's an aspect that they Oil -was- missing before they got him. Normally you build around talent in their prime and you're absolutely right about that, but building around Lucic makes your team tough to play against and that's something, with solid coaching, that can turn a team into a contender with the right moves.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You overlooked something.

Cap friendly has you with 14 mil, needing 11 guys. They have already blanked all your UFA's and RFA's. I raised the Cap to 80 mil for you guys.
9 or 10 of those guys will cost 1 million each or less. As I mentioned, the only FA we have that has earned a raise is Nurse, so pencil in 4 or 5 million for him. That means we would still have the 6 million in cap increase to add a key player. And that's if Chiarelli doesn't trade a defenseman for a forward (I expect a Klefbom for 1st line LW deal personally).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I might be in the minority, but I still have no problem with Lucic or his contract on the Oilers.

I love Luch, I don't mind his contract. But on a team that gave out +20 million on their two top players, and 11.5 million on middle of the road players... you can't have those types of contracts.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Actually it seems more like you don't. The Oilers are in Cap hell and will be hard pressed to improve without moving either Lucic or Russell. If you fail to make some space you have to sign about 11 players for 19 mil 7 of which are RFA's.

Min offers for RFA's

Strome 2,750,000
Slepy 1,017,500
Caggi 1,017,500
Pakarinin 797,500
Davidson 1,567,500
Benning 1,017,500

Total: 8,167,500

You may have noticed Nurse is missing. What does he cost? You've got 11 mil to sign Nurse and 4 more players assuming everyone of your RFA's accepts just a 10% raise. Let's be nice and call Nurse 4mil? so 7 mil for 4 guys in a dream world. Something has to give. How do the Oilers upgrade anywhere?
Oilers can easily walk away from Strome especially if he wants 2.5M+

As for Lucic... he has a negative value and a NMC.. He isnt going anywhere.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
9 or 10 of those guys will cost 1 million each or less. As I mentioned, the only FA we have that has earned a raise is Nurse, so pencil in 4 or 5 million for him. That means we would still have the 6 million in cap increase to add a key player. And that's if Chiarelli doesn't trade a defenseman for a forward (I expect a Klefbom for 1st line LW deal personally).
I guess if you aren't giving them raises and Strome takes a pay cut to half. I think you guys are being extremely optimistic. You say you are going to improve but then you tell me you are replacing your UFA's with million dollar guys. So what you really mean is you are going to get worse in all your FA spots but one and get one good one? Basically you are going to upgrade Maroon and downgrade the others?

Sorry, you guys have cap issues and need to dump Russell or Lucic or one of your C's. It's that or get used to million dollar wingers and elc guys playing with your big 3 C.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Lucic and his NMC, make a limited among of teams he would agree to be traded. And no team is going to take his full 6m cap hit....so what's the point really.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I guess if you aren't giving them raises and Strome takes a pay cut to half. I think you guys are being extremely optimistic. You say you are going to improve but then you tell me you are replacing your UFA's with million dollar guys. So what you really mean is you are going to get worse in all your FA spots but one and get one good one? Basically you are going to upgrade Maroon and downgrade the others?

Sorry, you guys have cap issues and need to dump Russell or Lucic or one of your C's. It's that or get used to million dollar wingers and elc guys playing with your big 3 C.
Why would the rest of our guys get raises again? Have the earned a raise this year? Strome might be gone, wouldn't surprise anyone if he is traded. The thing is, that you seem to think that we have to completely re-tool things. We don't. We have to re-sign our cheap players, and add a scorer with speed. That we can do thanks to the cap going up. Plus it wouldn't shock me if we move a d-man on top of that, we've got 4 guys being paid top 4 role salaries assuming Nurse gets the raise he earned.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
My bad, 5% on everyone but Strome who you can offer the same, so what's that 2 or 300k? You really think they will all be signed without raises?

what else you got?

Even today I sometimes do other peoples homework for them.

Oilers can have their four RFA forwards and their two RFA d-men not named Nurse for a cap hit of 69 mil (small raises for some)(rounded up). Projected cap is around 81 mil (low end). That leaves 12 million for Nurse and two fourth liners (Letestu/Cammaleri) and a good forward. Nurse is rumored to be wanting a two year bridge +/- 3 mil. That's five mil very high end.

That leaves seven+ mil for rookie bonuses and a speedy winger that can score or a dman or....

That's without trading or letting anyone go. The cap rising really helped the Oilers.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
From the habs, I would give you some value for Lucic... not sure exactly what tho. No future. I could live with a Pac Vs Lucic + depending on the plus (needs to be significative). Pac is better than Lucic and Lucic is overpaid but it's not like we can't afford him for the next 4-5 years. I doubt Montreal brings in any good UFA with the team they have anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad