Proposal: Lucic to NYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’m sorry, are you suggesting Lucic, 10, and Puljujarvi to get nothing more significant than Smith and 3 third round picks?

I would rather keep Lucic for no other reason than to slash key Rangers in the knee as hard as he can when we play than do that deal. Hell I’d rather Lucic slash ME in the knee 82 times a year than do that deal. You have to know it’s absolutely disgusting for us.

Fine.
I am ahead of the curve here.
Cap space is becoming more expensive, not cheaper.

You keep Lucic, good luck, no snide/hard feelings.

W/out worthwhile overpay, we won't keep his contract [and declining production]

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's way too slow to play in this league, overpaid by about 2M per for what little he does offer and the full NMC he has puts him in the drivers' seat.

Why would anyone want to help Chia get out of this mess he created...?
He's been one of the best power forwards in this league for over a decade. People make blind statements like this as if he's turned to stone. His 'speed' wasn't even much of a concern last season as his inability to settle passes and ability to finish. In 'this NHL' he's still a regular 20 goal scorer and quality PP net front presence.

His NMC isn't going to play any part in finding him a new home because he's the one precipitating the move. But his contract will certainly be a hurdle.

Looking at what other teams are targeting, I wonder if Dallas might be interested if they fail to land Kovalchuk. They're in the market for a top six LW this summer and with options pretty sparse in FA, Lucic may not be the worst add to replace part of what Roussel brought. Something like Hanzal and Ritchie balances the salary for the first couple seasons, so they're technically on the hook for three more seasons at full clip. Obviously there's the debate about 'the sweetener', but that might be a better option than big fish hunting considering what those big fish generally turn into.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
He's been one of the best power forwards in this league for over a decade. People make blind statements like this as if he's turned to stone. His 'speed' wasn't even much of a concern last season as his inability to settle passes and ability to finish. In 'this NHL' he's still a regular 20 goal scorer and quality PP net front presence.

His NMC isn't going to play any part in finding him a new home because he's the one precipitating the move. But his contract will certainly be a hurdle.

Looking at what other teams are targeting, I wonder if Dallas might be interested if they fail to land Kovalchuk. They're in the market for a top six LW this summer and with options pretty sparse in FA, Lucic may not be the worst add to replace part of what Roussel brought. Something like Hanzal and Ritchie balances the salary for the first couple seasons, so they're technically on the hook for three more seasons at full clip. Obviously there's the debate about 'the sweetener', but that might be a better option than big fish hunting considering what those big fish generally turn into.

He isn't one of the best power forwards at this point in his career and his contract is terrible in term and salary.
Remember Rick Nash.....he of terrible value? Lucic really has terrible value.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Fine.
I am ahead of the curve here.
Cap space is becoming more expensive, not cheaper.

You keep Lucic, good luck, no snide/hard feelings.

W/out worthwhile overpay, we won't keep his contract [and declining production]

That trade is patently awful for Edmonton.

I was going to light you up but what's the point.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He isn't one of the best power forwards at this point in his career and his contract is terrible in term and salary.
Remember Rick Nash.....he of terrible value? Lucic really has terrible value.
Rick Nash...the guy who returned a quality young forward and a first at the deadline? No he's not of terrible value. If there was more term left on his deal, it certainly would've been more difficult to deal him but he--like Milan Lucic--is a player GMs and coaches still covet for the game they bring.

I'm not going to dispute what taking that salary and term means in terms of reimbursement. Its all dependent on the market from other NHL GMs, which none of us are privy to. But if you lined him up next to the other options on this year's UFA list, odds are his deal at $6m for the next five years is in line with what some of the other guys there are likely to get. This is why I don't see us finding a market for him overly difficult.

The idea that only 'quick' forwards apply in this league is a simple-minded POV and couldn't be farther from reality.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Rick Nash...the guy who returned a quality young forward and a first at the deadline? No he's not of terrible value. If there was more term left on his deal, it certainly would've been more difficult to deal him but he--like Milan Lucic--is a player GMs and coaches still covet for the game they bring.

I'm not going to dispute what taking that salary and term means in terms of reimbursement. Its all dependent on the market from other NHL GMs, which none of us are privy to. But if you lined him up next to the other options on this year's UFA list, odds are his deal at $6m for the next five years is in line with what some of the other guys there are likely to get. This is why I don't see us finding a market for him overly difficult.

The idea that only 'quick' forwards apply in this league is a simple-minded POV and couldn't be farther from reality.

Some other UFA's might have similar salary and term expectations......but they also might be better players who are younger and more productive. 30 million over 5 yrs for Lucic is dreadful. I'm not sure what you are debating here. The point about Nash was sarcasm in that despite what HF predicted he would return and how bad he was.......he really was/is still a decent player and the return he got in trade far exceeded what the "experts" here thought he'd fetch. His salary was what put his value into question. If he was not a UFA and his salary was 7.8m or whatever it was, chances are he would still be a Ranger.

Maybe you can move him, I just don't think the return will be anything that is overly valuable.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad