Proposal: Lucic to NYR

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
I saw an article this morning about Vesey + 28 for Lucic + 10 and i think that is too much from the Rangers perspective. If the Rangers are going to take on Lucic something bad has to go the other way and it has to start with Brendan Smith.

I want to ship off Smith and smaller assets and get Lucic ++. What kind of deal would Ranger fans want or edm fans?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You'd get Lucic + late pick for Smith.

Vesey + 28 is ****ing terrible for Lucic + 10.

Lucic ++ for Smith ++ is getting too complex. KIS,S.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I can see where this is going to go. You guys think Lucic + 10 OA is going to the Rangers for a lower pick AND a cap dump? If you were the Oilers would you do that? Not likely.

I guess we can wait and see what happens on July 1st. Lucic's final bonus will be paid and his real dollars salary drops to $4.5 Million.

Reactions: 780il

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Lucic + 40th overall for Smith?

I would hope not. Smith costs over 3 million in cap space when he's buried in the AHL.

Oilers give up an overpaid NHL player for an incredibly overpaid AHL player and the Oilers add?

People really have a skewed perception of Lucic if they think he carries that much negative value.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
You'd get Lucic + late pick for Smith.

Vesey + 28 is ****ing terrible for Lucic + 10.

Lucic ++ for Smith ++ is getting too complex. KIS,S.

Terrible for the Oilers right? because I agree.

Fun fact in a season where Milan Lucic was horrible this calendar year he still outscored Jimmy Vesey.

I know contract is a factor but let's have a little perspective here.

Reactions: 780il

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Terrible for the Oilers right? because I agree.

Fun fact in a season where Milan Lucic was horrible this calendar year he still outscored Jimmy Vesey.

I know contract is a factor but let's have a little perspective here.

Yes, lets.

Lucic still has like 4 years left at 6M. He scored 34 points in 82 games playing over half of the time with either Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, or both. His game is of the variety that it's just going to keep getting worse (as he ages and gets dinged up more).

Vesey's contract is up and he's an RFA that's scored ~25 points the last couple years. He'll get about 4M less per year than Lucic and he actually still has the potential to improve as he gets out of the NYR's doghouse fourth line.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes, lets.

Lucic still has like 4 years left at 6M. He scored 34 points in 82 games playing over half of the time with either Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, or both. His game is of the variety that it's just going to keep getting worse (as he ages and gets dinged up more).

Vesey's contract is up and he's an RFA that's scored ~25 points the last couple years. He'll get about 4M less per year than Lucic and he actually still has the potential to improve as he gets out of the NYR's doghouse fourth line.

The real perspective here, is that if something of quality is added to Lucic, it will raise his value significantly enough that the Oilers can get an NHL level talent for him in return. Not a bum RFA. You want Lucic and the 10th, you're looking at giving us a decent, not overpaid roster player back, not dumps. It's either a dump swap, we add something to get something good, or we retain salary, not multiples.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I saw an article this morning about Vesey + 28 for Lucic + 10 and i think that is too much from the Rangers perspective. If the Rangers are going to take on Lucic something bad has to go the other way and it has to start with Brendan Smith.

I want to ship off Smith and smaller assets and get Lucic ++. What kind of deal would Ranger fans want or edm fans?

If you’re starting with Smith and you want ++ coming back with Lucic, you’d better be prepared to add more than ‘smaller assets’. No matter what the rest of HF thinks Edmonton is not going to add high value assets to get a 4 million dollar AHLer and some crumbs. There’s no point at all.

If you want it structured:

Lucic + 10

For

Smith + ???

??? Needs to have value. Lucic is a much better player than Smith in that no matter what you think of Milan, he’s no worse than a 3LW. Smith would be a Condor, taking ice time away from the young LHD we’re trying to develop. I’d even go so far as to say he’d have more negative value to us than Lucic would.

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
I dont remember which article it was just by a Rangers fan. But the trade frees up space for the Oilers as well. If they wanted to go after a guy like Grabner. That is the other part of this trade. Smith can be buried and Lucic can play a bottom six role who is overpaid. Rangers get another asset in exchange for that.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
He's way too slow to play in this league, overpaid by about 2M per for what little he does offer and the full NMC he has puts him in the drivers' seat.

Why would anyone want to help Chia get out of this mess he created...?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Lucic + 40th overall for Smith?

No. Lucic's contract sucks far worse than Smith's. Smith will either rebound or be in the AHL. Doesn't matter much either way while we are rebuilding. I want no part of Lucic for the next 5 years. If it were 2-3 years, fine, but I want to be able to compete again before too long.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I dont remember which article it was just by a Rangers fan. But the trade frees up space for the Oilers as well. If they wanted to go after a guy like Grabner. That is the other part of this trade. Smith can be buried and Lucic can play a bottom six role who is overpaid. Rangers get another asset in exchange for that.

We have the space to go for Grabner anyway. Smith is terrible and burying him buys us, what, another 800k?

It doesn’t free up much space at all. If we’re taking garbage back the sweetnener will be more like a B prospect or a 3rd rounder, nothing stupid like 10 or one of our better prospects.

Reactions: OnlyRevolutions
Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Where did you see this article?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Haven’t the Oilers came out and said they won’t package 10th overall to move a bad contract? I feel like I saw it somewhere
And also, f*** no to Vesey+28 for Lucic+10.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

An article or a Blog post?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
We have the space to go for Grabner anyway. Smith is terrible and burying him buys us, what, another 800k?

It doesn’t free up much space at all. If we’re taking garbage back the sweetnener will be more like a B prospect or a 3rd rounder, nothing stupid like 10 or one of our better prospects.

Burying Smith brings his contract from 4.3 to 3.3. Saves you a million.

I don't blame you for not wanting to take on Smith's deal, but, at the same time, Smith's deal is both shorter and cheaper. Don't get me wrong--the 10th would be overpayment.

Lucic has 5 more years. Smith has 3 at a lower hit. If Lucic is managing 30 points today playing with top-tier players, I don't see that improving over the next 5 with a $6 million hit. To be fair, unless Smith gets his head out of his ass, I don't see him improving either.

As a fan of a rebuilding Rangers team, I would want nothing to do with Lucic, but if we're taking him, I'd want more than a b prospect because that contract will affect us in future signings (indepenednt of his value).

Reactions: x BEUKEBOOM x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad