Proposal: Lucic to NYR

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Dead wrong about that. His worst season was this past one. 34 points.

Yeah, well he also gets massive money and played with McDavid for stretches, so that ain't saying much. He is in his 30's, plays very physically (many stupid plays,) and is slow, these kind of players very often age quickly and become even less productive.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yeah, well he also gets massive money and played with McDavid for stretches, so that ain't saying much. He is in his 30's, plays very physically (many stupid plays,) and is slow, these kind of players very often age quickly and become even less productive.

Being overpaid and having a brutal year doesn't mean Milan Lucic isn't an NHLer anymore. Give your head a shake.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Burying Smith brings his contract from 4.3 to 3.3. Saves you a million.

I don't blame you for not wanting to take on Smith's deal, but, at the same time, Smith's deal is both shorter and cheaper. Don't get me wrong--the 10th would be overpayment.

Lucic has 5 more years. Smith has 3 at a lower hit. If Lucic is managing 30 points today playing with top-tier players, I don't see that improving over the next 5 with a $6 million hit. To be fair, unless Smith gets his head out of his ass, I don't see him improving either.

As a fan of a rebuilding Rangers team, I would want nothing to do with Lucic, but if we're taking him, I'd want more than a b prospect because that contract will affect us in future signings (indepenednt of his value).

Lucic is a better player than Smith, even with his terrible play after Christmas. To me the cap hit disparity is offset by the fact that Lucic is still an NHLer and can contribute and Smith played so badly he lost his job on a blue line that is middling at best.

As for cap hit, I’m pretty sure you’re fine there. You have 30 mil in space going into next season, 40 the season after that and outside of Skjei/Hayes I don’t think any of your RFA’s are commanding big raises.

Reactions: TFHockey

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Being overpaid and having a brutal year doesn't mean Milan Lucic isn't an NHLer anymore. Give your head a shake.

Clearly it was more tongue in cheek than factual, so I will keep my head still, for now!

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Lucic is a better player than Smith, even with his terrible play after Christmas. To me the cap hit disparity is offset by the fact that Lucic is still an NHLer and can contribute and Smith played so badly he lost his job on a blue line that is middling at best.

As for cap hit, I’m pretty sure you’re fine there. You have 30 mil in space going into next season, 40 the season after that and outside of Skjei/Hayes I don’t think any of your RFA’s are commanding big raises.

I agree with you regarding Lucic's play compared to Smith's (who just disappeared and didn't even come prepared), don't get me wrong. But I don't see the reason for the Rangers to take on that cap hit for the next 5 years when we have our own middle-6 options in spades. I won't bother listing all those guys out. Just not enough benefit to take on Lucic, in my opinion.

Even if we're fine for the cap hit, there's no real reason for us to take it on. I'd rather look to make a deal with a team who is willing to make it worth our while.

As for raises, Namestnikov, Spooner, Hayes, and Skjei will all have decent cap hits. Then there's question marks in Buchnevich and Pionk who, depending upon play, could get a decent contract. Who knows what happens in free agency.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Correct me if I am wrong but did I hear with Lucic that because of the structure of his contract if there is a work stoppage for a year he still gets paid no matter what because his money is front loaded at the beginning of the season. That is another factor people have to consider with how bad of a contract Lucic is. Not the same as Smith’s.

As a Ranger fan I would consider something along the OP lines as long as the 10oa is involved. If Edmonton thinks that is too much then fine, no problem walking away. Remember in most cap dump situations, the team with the dump makes the initial phone call. Rangers aren’t looking to take on a bad contract unless it is a grand return.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No. Lucic's contract sucks far worse than Smith's. Smith will either rebound or be in the AHL. Doesn't matter much either way while we are rebuilding. I want no part of Lucic for the next 5 years. If it were 2-3 years, fine, but I want to be able to compete again before too long.

This^.
There is a bribe big enough that you can overpay to change our minds, but it must be substantial.
This is the new NHL.
Cap is a premium.
It is expensive.
You want it, you pay, and it's not cheap.

As that relates here:
Smith has 3 years at 4.35
Lucic has 5 at 6.0
that much is clear and the numbers don't lie
So it is 1.65 x 3 + 6.0 x 2.

I see that as 10OA this year for one 6.0 year
and Poolparty for another

I'm not throwing in the other 3 years at 1.65, but that could be 3 3rds unless other compensation is agreed upon. Since you would be giving up 10OA this year, I would relent for those 3 3rds to start next year, 2019, 20 and '21.

Smith MUST be included in this deal.
Staal is based here, and going to OTT which is close to his roots is a thought. But he is not a fit to EDM. Also, after this season Staal becomes much better buyout option if we go there.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This^.
There is a bribe big enough that you can overpay to change our minds, but it must be substantial.
This is the new NHL.
Cap is a premium.
It is expensive.

As that relates here:
Lucic has 5 at 6.0

I'm not throwing in the other 3 years at 1.65, but that could be 3 3rds unless other compensation is agreed upon. Since you would be giving up 10OA this year, I would relent for those 3 3rds to start next year, 2019, 20 and '21.

Staal is based here, and going to OTT which is close to his roots is a thought. But he is not a fit to EDM. Also, after this season Staal becomes much better buyout option if we go there.

Senior Joe, the numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice!

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yes, lets.

Lucic still has like 4 years left at 6M. He scored 34 points in 82 games playing over half of the time with either Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, or both. His game is of the variety that it's just going to keep getting worse (as he ages and gets dinged up more).

Vesey's contract is up and he's an RFA that's scored ~25 points the last couple years. He'll get about 4M less per year than Lucic and he actually still has the potential to improve as he gets out of the NYR's doghouse fourth line.

Wrong He played with RNH for the first 1/2 of the year and then with Strome . He also has 5 years left at 4.5 as of July 1st . Nice try but you failed just like this guy failed

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This^.
This is the new NHL.
Cap is a premium.
It is expensive.

As that relates here:
Lucic has 5 at 6.0

I’m sorry, are you suggesting Lucic, 10, and Puljujarvi to get nothing more significant than Smith and 3 third round picks?

I would rather keep Lucic for no other reason than to slash key Rangers in the knee as hard as he can when we play than do that deal. Hell I’d rather Lucic slash ME in the knee 82 times a year than do that deal. You have to know it’s absolutely disgusting for us.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Wrong He played with RNH for the first 1/2 of the year and then with Strome . He also has 5 years left at 4.5 as of July 1st . Nice try but you failed just like this guy failed

No, he has 5 years left at 6. Cash doesn't ****ing matter when it's really Lucic's cap hit that makes the deal so terrible.

And is this wrong then?

Milan Lucic - Full Stats, Line Combos and Game Logs

53.9% of the time at ES was with McDavid.
56.4% of PP time was with McDavid.

He did play with Strome and RNH at about 15% of the time each. But he played with McDavid for more time than with those two guys combined.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This^.
This is the new NHL.
Cap is a premium.
It is expensive.

As that relates here:
Lucic has 5 at 6.0

You want us to give you Lucic + Puljujarvi + 10 OA for Smith?

Most of your proposals are garbage, but this might be the worst one so far.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I think Edmonton would need to attach the 10th overall or Puljujarvi to even move Lucic at all, let alone for anything of value, which isn't likely. They're probably better off keeping him and letting him gain some value, bounce back, and then move him. Bickell got traded to Carolina and it cost them Teravainen. They got a 2nd and 3rd.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No, he has 5 years left at 6. Cash doesn't ****ing matter when it's really Lucic's cap hit that makes the deal so terrible.

And is this wrong then?

Milan Lucic - Full Stats, Line Combos and Game Logs

53.9% of the time at ES was with McDavid.
56.4% of PP time was with McDavid.

He did play with Strome and RNH at about 15% of the time each. But he played with McDavid for more time than with those two guys combined.

Cash matter to owners . Let me know when you have 1.5 million times 5 to thru away

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yeah. Wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the league in a couple years or less.

Yikes is a huge overreaction to saying Vesey sucks which most people would probably agree with

I don't see how a 2nd year player that scored 17 goals sucks. Even if he doesn't turn out to be some 25-30 goal scorer, he's still a useful bottom-6 player.

If you think me saying something like yikes to calling a player like Vesey a hack is a "huge overreaction" then you might want to re-evaluate things.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't see how a 2nd year player that scored 17 goals sucks. Even if he doesn't turn out to be some 25-30 goal scorer, he's still a useful bottom-6 player.

If you think me saying something like yikes to calling a player like Vesey a hack is a "huge overreaction" then you might want to re-evaluate things.

"2nd year player". Lol. The dude is 25 years old...not 19 or 20.

He's really not a good bottom 6 player. Idk what you're watching. Most posters on HFNYR don't think he's s great all around player. It's why he's sheltered, has nothing to do with the coach.

Plenty of players have scored 17+ goals at his age and disappeared from the league shortly after. Means jack.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
"2nd year player". Lol. The dude is 25 years old...not 19 or 20.

Did I say that? I said he's a second year player, which is what he was, this past season.

He's really not a good bottom 6 player. Idk what you're watching. Most posters on HFNYR don't think he's s great all around player. It's why he's sheltered, has nothing to do with the coach.

How many players in this league score more than 17 goals playing primarily bottom-6 minutes? He's not a great all-around player but he's getting better and I said useful bottom-6 player, which is far from the term "hack."

I get it, you don't like the guy, you don't have to and I'm not trying to change your mind on that. Quite frankly I don't care one way or the other. However, the term that was used is "hack."

He's not a hack. A hack wouldn't even be playing in the NHL.

Plenty of players have scored 17+ goals at his age and disappeared from the league shortly after. Means jack.

I'm glad those 17 goals meant nothing to you. They meant something to the Rangers though. If you're expecting him to disappear, you might be holding your breath for a while.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How many players in this league score more than 17 goals playing primarily bottom-6 minutes? He's not a great all-around player but he's getting better and I said useful bottom-6 player, which is far from the term "hack."

I get it, you don't like the guy, you don't have to and I'm not trying to change your mind on that. Quite frankly I don't care one way or the other. However, the term that was used is "hack."

He's not a hack. A hack wouldn't even be playing in the NHL.

I'm glad those 17 goals meant nothing to you. They meant something to the Rangers though. If you're expecting him to disappear, you might be holding your breath for a while.

Well, describing a 25 year old as a 2nd year player seems disinegenious. Implies he has a lot of room to grow when he really doesn't. He's probably close to or at his peak as a player based on what we know about age and performance curves. Could he be a rare late bloomer, maybe but highly unlikely.

2nd, when you dig deeper and see that he hardly averages 1.5 shots per game so far in his career it makes you wonder how sustainable 17 goals a year is for the guy. He's going to have to consistently shoot several ticks above league average.

3rd, when you look at what happens when he's on the ice when he isn't scoring. Shots and scoring chances against vs for, who's driving the play, you see why he get's sheltered. He can hurt your team if you don't shelter him because he really isn't a great player.

I won't get into the semantics of 'being a hack' with you but I don't really see him as a part of the core going forward or as an impact player in this league unless he gets a lot better basically.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Well, describing a 25 year old as a 2nd year player seems disinegenious. Implies he has a lot of room to grow when he really doesn't. He's probably close to or at his peak as a player based on what we know about age and performance curves. Could he be a rare late bloomer, maybe but highly unlikely.

You can call it disingenuous all you want, it's a fact. He came out of college and has played 2 years in the NHL. I don't care that he's 25. You don't know how much room he has to grow and neither do I. That's why we're sitting on here talking about it.

2nd, when you dig deeper and see that he hardly averages 1.5 shots per game so far in his career it makes you wonder how sustainable 17 goals a year is for the guy. He's going to have to consistently shoot several ticks above league average.

16 last year, 17 this year. If it was a one season thing, then maybe I'd be inclined to agree. However, he's not playing on lines where offense is driven and he's usually the one to try to drive it on the 4th line.

3rd, when you look at what happens when he's on the ice when he isn't scoring. Shots and scoring chances against vs for, who's driving the play, you see why he get's sheltered. He can hurt your team if you don't shelter him because he really isn't a great player.

What 3rd and 4th line players are driving play, outside of Pittsburgh when they had Kessel playing with Bonino and Hagelin, or another team with enough depth to have a star caliber player playing bottom-6 minutes? The vast majority of teams aren't deep enough to have hose types of players in their bottom-6. Those players are rarities. Also, no one is saying he's a selke caliber player or that anyone expects him to be. You keep putting words in my mouth.

Again, you keep implying that I've said he's a "great player" and using other words of the ilk when I've never said such things. If you can't distinguish the difference between the words "useful" and "great" then you have a deeper seeded problem than your apparent hatred for him.

I won't get into the semantics of 'being a hack' with you but I don't really see him as a part of the core going forward or as an impact player in this league unless he gets a lot better basically.

Semantics? There's no contortion of words or meaning. A hack is someone who wouldn't even belong at the NHL level. Obviously, this guy belongs. You don't have to like him, but he's been useful. I've never said he's a core player or anything of the like, I don't know where the hell you get that idea from. All I've ever said is that he was a useful bottom-6 player.

Did he piss in your wheaties? Snub you when you asked for a picture or an autograph? I don't get the smear campaign.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->