Proposal: lucic to detroit with futures

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
So nice seeing Calgary trying to move Lucic. At least Neal will get some goals on the power play
I'm still waiting to see the Flames fans who are advocating for him to be moved, this is other fans trying to get a premium on him being moved. Are you missing the Flames fans saying that he has a role and we'd rather he stay than pay a high price to move him? Lmao

Reactions: Nanuuk

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I’m from southern Alberta. I truly believe it’s beautiful there in all seasons. But I do accept my opinion about the Alberta winter weather is the exception. The vast majority of people would prefer Florida’s winters. I think that belief extends to most UFA hockey players too, and especially their wives.

Born in Calgary, I love Florida's winters. It's the summer that I hate.

January and February suck here but I'm fine with the rest of the year.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Born in Calgary, I love Florida's winters. It's the summer that I hate.

January and February suck here but I'm fine with the rest of the year.
It’s weird, I know, but I kind of like the cold, and dry winters. Grew up with horses, and the cold, clear weather Alberta gets in winter is perfect to get them fluffed up. I’m on this wet coast now (have been for 50 years) and miss home for sure. One would think the Canadian, Swedish, Finnish, Russian, and all hockey players excepting the Americans, would prefer the colder Canadian prairie winters. That’s hockey weather, right? Big Buff was one of my favourites. Yes, he was great to watch, but I appreciated his love for the cold Winnipeg winter. I kind of get pissed a bit when the southern US teams win Cups.
Do palm trees and hockey really go together? I’m thinking Milan is happy playing in Canada, and in a proper winter (for hockey) climate.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
lucic skates like frankenstein and brings 2o points a season ands locked up for 3 more years of this . i can see the reasoning for calgary wanting to replace him when they score fewer than they give up . about anybody can score more than 20 and be more valuable defensively . its the cost im not sure about as i dont know the state of flames depth chart and future draft picks , and if theyre gunning to make some noise now or just staying on simmer while prospects develop . and im seeing it as detroit could move luke to a contender at deadline on a 50% retained deal for a pick . but i realize he has to waive so its all doubtful either way , threads just a way to get my hockey buzz for now

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
It’s weird, I know, but I kind of like the cold, and dry winters. Grew up with horses, and the cold, clear weather Alberta gets in winter is perfect to get them fluffed up. I’m on this wet coast now (have been for 50 years) and miss home for sure. One would think the Canadian, Swedish, Finnish, Russian, and all hockey players excepting the Americans, would prefer the colder Canadian prairie winters. That’s hockey weather, right? Big Buff was one of my favourites. Yes, he was great to watch, but I appreciated his love for the cold Winnipeg winter. I kind of get pissed a bit when the southern US teams win Cups.
Do palm trees and hockey really go together? I’m thinking Milan is happy playing in Canada, and in a proper winter (for hockey) climate.

its 2020. you don't need to freeze your nuts off ti play hockey

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
Detroit just bought out Abdelkader, why would they want to bring in Lucic?

Sure Lucic is a little bit better than Abby was but whats the point of getting rid of one trash contract just to replace it with another?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
As has been pointed out countless times in this and other threads the Flames really aren't in dire need of cap space at this time. Lucic isn't worth what he's being paid but that doesn't make him worthless either. He still provides value in a bottom 6 role.

If they're going to pay anybody to take on Milan's contract I suspect it will be Seattle in the ED.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
The sweetener necessary to get it done likely becomes detrimental. Calgary has a decent shot at the playoffs (be a dog fight w rivals Edmonton, Calgary and possibly Habs fighting for 2 spots) as things currently sit; with no immediate need to move significant cap. I believe they just kick the problem down the line.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
lucic skates like frankenstein and brings 2o points a season ands locked up for 3 more years of this . i can see the reasoning for calgary wanting to replace him when they score fewer than they give up . about anybody can score more than 20 and be more valuable defensively . its the cost im not sure about as i dont know the state of flames depth chart and future draft picks , and if theyre gunning to make some noise now or just staying on simmer while prospects develop . and im seeing it as detroit could move luke to a contender at deadline on a 50% retained deal for a pick . but i realize he has to waive so its all doubtful either way , threads just a way to get my hockey buzz for now
Lucic led the team in hits, payed the enforcer, and put up six points in 10 playoff games. Also he got better through the season. He had 20 points in a shortened season, and was more of a 30 point player.

He's actually the ideal bottom six player for the Flames. The issue is the cap hit. All of these retention deals don't help with the cap hit.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Looch also has a menacing presence and sometimes just a glare is needed for other players to give up some space. I believe he was instumental in allowing Dube to break out in the play-offs. Dube could skate with reckless abandon knowing he wasn't going to be targeted for those heavy slashes.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Looch also has a menacing presence and sometimes just a glare is needed for other players to give up some space. I believe he was instumental in allowing Dube to break out in the play-offs. Dube could skate with reckless abandon knowing he wasn't going to be targeted for those heavy slashes.
Looch is going to be key in this all Canadian season. He seems to be hung up on playing hard against his former team the oilers, but hopefully that hang up clears after a couple of battle of alberta brawls.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
While I think becoming a cap graveyard even during a rebuild isn’t ideal. This is one I’d have interest in if I were Detroit. He can protect the rookies coming up and he’s not totally useless. Just overpaid. Maybe on his next deal they can even bring him back to the 4th line, only this time making 4tj line money.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
While I think becoming a cap graveyard even during a rebuild isn’t ideal. This is one I’d have interest in if I were Detroit. He can protect the rookies coming up and he’s not totally useless. Just overpaid. Maybe on his next deal they can even bring him back to the 4th line, only this time making 4tj line money.
I actually don't see Lucic waiving to Detroit. He's been pretty clear he wants to be close to family in Vancouver. The West coast and western Canada are probably his preferred options.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I'm still waiting to see the Flames fans who are advocating for him to be moved, this is other fans trying to get a premium on him being moved. Are you missing the Flames fans saying that he has a role and we'd rather he stay than pay a high price to move him? Lmao
I agree. It’s silly how fans of other teams are always trying to push the “you have to attach pieces to move him” narrative. That may be true but I think Calgary is set for the season and their is no reason to give up assets to move him at this point. Maybe at the end of the season.
However, I also find it silly how some Calgary fans keep claiming “he has a role.” Lucic is a terrible hockey player at this point in his career. His “role” could easily be filled by a guy making the league minimum.... and probably more effectively.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
No interest from DET, we are overflowing with F's, especially bottom 6'ers & a few more AHL tweeners. Givani Smith can/will fill that role if/when needed. Nemeth on D, Mantha can fight (but shouldn't, he's too important) etc.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I agree. It’s silly how fans of other teams are always trying to push the “you have to attach pieces to move him” narrative. That may be true but I think Calgary is set for the season and their is no reason to give up assets to move him at this point. Maybe at the end of the season.
However, I also find it silly how some Calgary fans keep claiming “he has a role.” Lucic is a terrible hockey player at this point in his career. His “role” could easily be filled by a guy making the league minimum.... and probably more effectively.
Players who play a similar role like Hathaway, don't even get league minimum, and Lucic is better then Hathaway.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
No interest from DET, we are overflowing with F's, especially bottom 6'ers & a few more AHL tweeners. Givani Smith can/will fill that role if/when needed. Nemeth on D, Mantha can fight (but shouldn't, he's too important) etc.

Different level of intimidation than Lucic. People think twice about throwing a hit with him on the team.

Also Martha def should not fight. I remember when he semi half fought Muzzin and injured himself for a gold portion of the season. You don’t ideally want your stars fighting often

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Different level of intimidation than Lucic. People think twice about throwing a hit with him on the team.

Also Martha def should not fight. I remember when he semi half fought Muzzin and injured himself for a gold portion of the season. You don’t ideally want your stars fighting often
Thus the "Mantha can fight (but shouldn't, he's too important)" portion of my earlier post.

Enforcers aren't anywhere near as much a deterrent as they were 20-30+ yrs ago...the league is soft now. Old time hockey is rare.

Muzzin pulled a WWE move to injure Mantha, though I don't think he had the intent to injure him to that degree.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I can't see Looch leaving the west coast. He wanted to be there for family reasons in the first place and was one of the driving factors in Boston trading him. I guess anything is possible, but i think it would take a lot for Looch to agree to being further away from home so he can continue to play 10 minutes a night for a basement team.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Thus the "Mantha can fight (but shouldn't, he's too important)" portion of my earlier post.

Enforcers aren't anywhere near as much a deterrent as they were 20-30+ yrs ago...the league is soft now. Old time hockey is rare.

Muzzin pulled a WWE move to injure Mantha, though I don't think he had the intent to injure him to that degree.
Enforcers are important for the Flames. They have a lot of small players that teams take liberties with. Guys like Monahan and Lindholm won't deter players from going after Mangiapane, Dube, and Gaudreau. They need an enforcer or three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad