Speculation: Lucic to Boston?

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Lucic has 1 goal in 50 games. Foligno is rougly the same. I think that Smith > Lucic.

Bruins have logjam at defense. Thats the first priority. Forbort or Reilly would need to go

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Lucic has 1 goal in 50 games. Foligno is rougly the same. I think that Smith > Lucic.

Bruins have logjam at defense. Thats the first priority. Forbort or Reilly would need to go
I think most B’s fans would prefer Reilly be traded before Forbort. Forbort was a bright spot in our loss to Carolina IMO. How about Lucic for Foligno, Reilly, and Nosek?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I think most B’s fans would prefer Reilly be traded before Forbort. Forbort was a bright spot in our loss to Carolina IMO. How about Lucic for Foligno, Reilly, and Nosek?

Too much cap coming to Calgary (and it's two years left for Reilly), and Calgary has no room for D either.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Flames give up a useful but overpaid player and take on a bunch of extra cap and contracts?

That deal has the Flames taking on two extra contracts and $2.35 million of extra cap this year and $3 million next year.... Not to mention about $10 million extra in actual dollars paid.

What's the possible motivation for the Flames? They keep Lucic who is a great locker room guy and the best enforcer in the league. They then use the cap space next summer. If the Bruins have a log jam at defence, how do you describe the Flames?

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
The Flames give up a useful but overpaid player and take on a bunch of extra cap and contracts?

That deal has the Flames taking on two extra contracts and $2.35 million of extra cap this year and $3 million next year.... Not to mention about $10 million extra in actual dollars paid.

What's the possible motivation for the Flames? They keep Lucic who is a great locker room guy and the best enforcer in the league. They then use the cap space next summer. If the Bruins have a log jam at defence, how do you describe the Flames?
People like to trade bad contracts for bad contracts without even considering own teams. See below

Boston has to start the season with some key injuries . This is going to give some of the younger players a chance to steal a spot. Boston seems to be strapped for cash but waiving foligno+wagner (he played great in his callup so unfair) takes care of it. They should give prospects like Lysell

Two scenarios different scenarios:
1.Reilly + Smith for Lucic + small sweetner
With the injuries out there to key players, lines will be scrambled allowing prospects to be injected. Smith could be expendable after the whatever game tryout to prospects. If Mark McLaughlin or Fabian Lysell can make a serious push for the third RW spot Smiths days could be numbered.

2.Foligno + Reilly + Nosek for Lucic + Valimaki (if I understand hes fallen out of favor?)
Id like it just to get rid of contracts/ fresh starts. Just speeds up the dumping process. Issue is Foligno has to waive which I dont see.

3. They wait until next year to sign Lucic.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
People like to trade bad contracts for bad contracts without even considering own teams. See below

Boston has to start the season with some key injuries . This is going to give some of the younger players a chance to steal a spot. Boston seems to be strapped for cash but waiving foligno+wagner (he played great in his callup so unfair) takes care of it. They should give prospects like Lysell

Two scenarios different scenarios:
1.Reilly + Smith for Lucic + small sweetner
With the injuries out there to key players, lines will be scrambled allowing prospects to be injected. Smith could be expendable after the whatever game tryout to prospects. If Mark McLaughlin or Fabian Lysell can make a serious push for the third RW spot Smiths days could be numbered.

2.Foligno + Reilly + Nosek for Lucic + Valimaki (if I understand hes fallen out of favor?)
Id like it just to get rid of contracts/ fresh starts. Just speeds up the dumping process. Issue is Foligno has to waive which I dont see.

3. They wait until next year to sign Lucic.
1. Flames have no room for Reilly
2. This was already bad but now you want Flames to add Välimäki, who probably has some value. Not much, but some.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
1. Flames have no room for Reilly
2. This was already bad but now you want Flames to add Välimäki, who probably has some value. Not much, but some.
I dont feel as if Boston and Calgary are good trading partners. Both are up against the cap with similar players making similar money.

As for Valimaki, the thing about 7th defensemen is that every team has 3 of them.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I dont feel as if Boston and Calgary are good trading partners. Both are up against the cap with similar players making similar money.

As for Valimaki, the thing about 7th defensemen is that every team has 3 of them.

Agree, there's really no fit for the Lucic trade, unless Boston manages to get some cap space.

I wouldn't even call Välimäki 7th D as of now, more like AHL top pair, based on usage. He needs to play, so using him as a 7th D doesn't make any sense. But he was a 1st round pick, has had some injuries that have affected his career but is still young, so there's some potential left and thus some value. But I also think he might be waived just because Calgary has logjam at D. Maybe traded for similar F prospect or young player.
Most likely won't be claimed if waived, too many veteran players looking for minimum contracts because KHL isn't an option for them anymore.

Reactions: Bruin4Life

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Valimaki has had really bad luck with injuries, bit he's also had some pretty amazing play in international leagues and still has potential to be a top 4 dman. His value isn't sky high, but there's some there.

Two years ago valimaki looked like the future and Kylington was the odd man out, but now Kylington looks legit, the Flames have even more d prospects coming up, and valimaki might be moved for little value or even waived for free.

Rielly, however, has negative value to the Flames and is signed for an extra year.

There could be something to the Smith and Foligno deal, as Smith could play a huge role in Calgary and Sutter could see something in him, but adding rielly and his contract instantly destroys any benefit to Calgary.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Has Looch even stated that he wants to come back to Boston? Or is even open to it? A picture of him at a former teammates wedding doesn't mean much, and last I knew he wanted to play out west to be closer to his family. By all measure Looch and the Flames are happy with one another from what I've seen.

And as others have said, the pieces talked about (especially with Calgary retaining) doesn't make a lot of sense for Calgary without Boston throwing in a significant pick or two (which doesn't make sense for Boston since they're need them next year).

I'd love Looch back but I think the price is prolly too high.

The one thing we can all agree on though, is that the Flames won "the trade"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad