Speculation: Lucic to Boston?

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
Calgary has no reason to make that trade. At the very least Lucic scored 10 goals last year, is a leader in our dressing room, was top 20 in hits among forwards, and is still the toughest SOB in the league. Foligno had two goals on the year for crying out loud.
I never said they did. I was commenting on why I felt there was speculation. I then stated that I would trade Foligno.

Foligno is very much done and should have never been signed in the first place. I'd trade him for just about anyone that is even remotely useful. Seems like a great dude but he's shot.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I don't disagree with the premise, but beyond Lucic having great ties to Boston, I don't get the reasoning for trading Lucic to Boston at all. Why does Boston want him?

On top of that, Calgary is better off paying Boston to offer future considerations in return. Like offloading someone to Detroit or Yotes or whoever so we can chase a top 6C.
Only reason I see the Bruins wanting Looch back is cuz they’re a real soft team right now. Have no one to stick up for the boys

Reactions: BruinsJoe and Fig

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
But Boston has no reason to make a deal like that
The reason is simple, Boston need an enforcer to step up for others, it s a soft team, weak on the physical side of the game, they need a though guy and Looch can bring more than thougness, he have a lot of leadership too, and back to Boston the roof of the TD Garden s gonna explode if he s back...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It does somehow feel wrong to have the Bruins "getting the band back together" for one last ride...and not somehow have Lucic there.

But it'd basically have to be Boston dumping Foligno+ (maybe Nosek or something?) to even make it work. At which point, what's Calgary's incentive here? Hope the change of scenery makes Foligno bounce back and be healthy? Foligno has had some pretty wild swings year-to-year in his career. But yeah...that's not happening at his age.

Really just comes down to...what would Boston be willing to add to the party to bring Lucic back for basically pure nostalgia reasons?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I wonder if it won't be Ruzicka + Lucic for Zacha + Foligno. Zacha will hit UFA next year and IMO, has many similarities to Ruzicka. I wonder if Boston could opt for less developed, more control and less costly given the old boy signings. If Foligno is really done, it could make sense for both clubs. Strange that we haven't resigned Ruzicka because he looked to have a fair bit of promise.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Foligno+Smith for Lucic no retention?
I think Boston saves 900k here? I’d consider it, but probably say no thanks. Smith is a bit more versatile

Lucic for Foligno would be a dream. Foligno is at best a #13 forward at this point.
If Calgary retained a couple mil to make it work of course I’d be in. They just have no reason to wanna do that when Lucic is clearly the better player today

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I wonder if it won't be Ruzicka + Lucic for Zacha + Foligno. Zacha will hit UFA next year and IMO, has many similarities to Ruzicka. I wonder if Boston could opt for less developed, more control and less costly given the old boy signings. If Foligno is really done, it could make sense for both clubs. Strange that we haven't resigned Ruzicka because he looked to have a fair bit of promise.
I'd do that trade. I am not sure that Boston would though.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think Boston saves 900k here? I’d consider it, but probably say no thanks. Smith is a bit more versatile

If Calgary retained a couple mil to make it work of course I’d be in. They just have no reason to wanna do that when Lucic is clearly the better player today
They save 1.7 on that but also lose depth

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd do that trade. I am not sure that Boston would though.
Well if Foligno really is done, it could make sense. Cost control is huge, especially when dealing with wasted money and time. If the Bruins want one more kick let them have it but personally, I'm not sure I'd do it as a Flames fan.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Calgary has no reason to make that trade. At the very least Lucic scored 10 goals last year, is a leader in our dressing room, was top 20 in hits among forwards, and is still the toughest SOB in the league. Foligno had two goals on the year for crying out loud.
Lucic had like 1 goal in his last 50 games after the Flames moved him where he belongs. The fourth line....

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Well if Foligno really is done, it could make sense. Cost control is huge, especially when dealing with wasted money and time. If the Bruins want one more kick let them have it but personally, I'm not sure I'd do it as a Flames fan.
The thing is I'm not sure if Foligno is really done. Sure he doesn't record many points, but his CF% is basically the same as Looch's with less Ozone starts. His takeaway/giveway ratio is better. The number of hits each throws per game is the same 2.5.

I do not know what Foligno's speed is like, but I'm guessing he gets up and down the ice a bit better than Looch.

Which leaves the intimidation factor. Looch wins that hands down.

I'd rather see Looch stay, but in the trade scenario you outlined, I'd go for it. Ruzicka for Zacha.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
I agree wholeheartedly. Nice username btw

Lucic had like 1 goal in his last 50 games after the Flames moved him where he belongs. The fourth line....
You seem to pop up in a lot of Flames threads. For some reason, I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Keep telling yourself that you won the trade though.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The thing is I'm not sure if Foligno is really done. Sure he doesn't record many points, but his CF% is basically the same as Looch's with less Ozone starts. His takeaway/giveway ratio is better. The number of hits each throws per game is the same 2.5.

I do not know what Foligno's speed is like, but I'm guessing he gets up and down the ice a bit better than Looch.

Which leaves the intimidation factor. Looch wins that hands down.

I'd rather see Looch stay, but in the trade scenario you outlined, I'd go for it. Ruzicka for Zacha.

Lucic is likely the largest physical presence in the league. When he's on the ice, no one is getting out of line. He plays a pretty valuable role for the Flames, but obviously he's way overpaid. The Flames would move him, but only if meant opening up lots of cap to allow them to sign a legit top 6 forward.

A move for Foligno makes zero sense, as it doesn't save much cap and brings in an even more useless player. Something for Smith maybe, as Smith is a legit bottom six forward. The Flames may want to keep bottom 6 forward positions open for prospects though. Really would depend on the make up of the team.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Lucic is likely the largest physical presence in the league. When he's on the ice, no one is getting out of line. He plays a pretty valuable role for the Flames, but obviously he's way overpaid. The Flames would move him, but only if meant opening up lots of cap to allow them to sign a legit top 6 forward.

A move for Foligno makes zero sense, as it doesn't save much cap and brings in an even more useless player. Something for Smith maybe, as Smith is a legit bottom six forward. The Flames may want to keep bottom 6 forward positions open for prospects though. Really would depend on the make up of the team.
The prize in the scenario that Sparky93 came up with is Zacha. If Looch is part of the discussion it doesn't really matter who comes back.

And to reiterate, I am not one of those trying to dump Looch anywhere. The only dumps I want to see is when he runs someone over.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00