Proposal: Lucic to Arizona

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Calgary doesn't really need to move Lucic. They're paying 5.25 for him for 2 more years. A replacement for him would cost about 2.5-3 million. So they only save about 5 million by moving him. They aren't making a cup run in that time, they're better off to ride it out.

Not only that his actual salary in the last year owing, after signing bonuses, is only $1 million. At that point Lucic becomes a positive asset to any cap floor teams. $875k (after Edms retention) in salary owed for $5.25 in cap acquired.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Why do people always say players will never waive to go somewhere? I heard the same thing about Kessel to Arizona a few years ago.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Why do people always say players will never waive to go somewhere? I heard the same thing about Kessel to Arizona a few years ago.

Players nix trades all the time. The few examples of them agreeing to trades don't mean that every trade is automatic.

I see Lucic to Seattle in the last year as a much more likely scenario.

Reactions: go4hockey

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Players nix trades all the time. The few examples of them agreeing to trades don't mean that every trade is automatic.

I see Lucic to Seattle in the last year as a much more likely scenario.
I know players do nix them. It just seems strange that people always think they know where players will and will not waive to go to. Especially when it's a guy who has already won the big trophy and could potentially play out the rest of a contract in a nice warm place with zero media pressure or coverage.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What sense do these Lucic plus future asset trades make? If Calgary is not competing, they need the futures. If Calgary is competing, then Lucic plays a valuable role on the team. The Flames need a physical presence more than they need yet another 2nd line centre in Dvorak. Dvorak had 3 points in 9 games in his last playoffs and has a career high of 38 points. He's far from the guaranteed offensive spark the Flames need. Meanwhile, Lucic had 6 points in his last 10 playoff games.

This is a big no from Calgary.

Reactions: Nanuuk

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I know players do nix them. It just seems strange that people always think they know where players will and will not waive to go to. Especially when it's a guy who has already won the big trophy and could potentially play out the rest of a contract in a nice warm place with zero media pressure or coverage.

Lucic has specifically requested to be close to family. It's considerably more travel time./hassle from Arizona to Vancouver than Calgary to Vancouver.

Ledge And Dairy

Unfortunately for the Flames, no one is gonna take Lucic off your hands for anything less than your 1st or one of your blue chip prospects. You can't buy him out, because that dead cap is garbage and you can't replace him with the savings. As an example Lucic would cost close to 4m in buyout and with the savings of about 1.5m you couldn't even afford a Tucker Poolman type contract . This is why the oilers traded him. The buy out for Neal, essentially let us afford Foegle with the savings. I believe the Flames are best off just riding it out.
It's not unfortunate at all, Calgary isn't even trying to move him. If a team really wants "to take him off our hands" they can have a 2022 3rd, no more. Calgary just lost their captain and Lucic is a great team leader to help fill that void. He also becomes way more movable next year after his final signing bonus is paid and is only owed 875k in actual money

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Coyotes players don't live in Glendale. They live in Scottsdale. Half of the people that live in Scottsdale are from Canada.
I was referring more to the arena location... unless that has changed.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
So they get to say they know better than everyone here without contributing anything. What, are we supposed to ask a player to waive before posting a thread here ffs?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I don't believe Lucic would waive, and Calgary isn't giving a 1st or Zary or whatever to move him anyway.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Is Craig Cunningham still doing player development / scouting for the Coyotes? If so, maybe Lucic would consider waiving?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What sense do these Lucic plus future asset trades make? If Calgary is not competing, they need the futures. If Calgary is competing, then Lucic plays a valuable role on the team. The Flames need a physical presence more than they need yet another 2nd line centre in Dvorak. Dvorak had 3 points in 9 games in his last playoffs and has a career high of 38 points. He's far from the guaranteed offensive spark the Flames need. Meanwhile, Lucic had 6 points in his last 10 playoff games.

This is a big no from Calgary.

Lol as a Flames fan, I’d take Dvorak over Lucic any day. It’s not even close.

I like Lucic but he is expendable.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Lucic has a NMC. He's not going to agree to move to Glendale.
This thread is a fantasy.
Luic does have a NMC, but a M-NTC kicked in this summer so he can be traded to teams he has identified as acceptable.

Having said that, this is one Flames fan who is in no rush to trade Lucic. Especially as a cap dump where we'd have to add assets.

Looch is an integral part of this team and provides value even if he is overpaid.

Should the Flames try and acquire Dvorak it will be a hockey trade.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Unfortunately for the Flames, no one is gonna take Lucic off your hands for anything less than your 1st or one of your blue chip prospects. You can't buy him out, because that dead cap is garbage and you can't replace him with the savings. As an example Lucic would cost close to 4m in buyout and with the savings of about 1.5m you couldn't even afford a Tucker Poolman type contract . This is why the oilers traded him. The buy out for Neal, essentially let us afford Foegle with the savings. I believe the Flames are best off just riding it out.
The Flames got the best of that deal which is why they aren't in a hurry to dump Lucic. Only certain Flames fans want to run him out of town, because they imagine they can use the cap space better.

Looch isn't going anywhere soon. He plays that Sutter style game and is responsible defensively. Hoo-yah.

Reactions: HugginThePost

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
If the flames want to dump lucic the price would likely be a first. The leafs paid a 1st to Dump the Marleau contract. At very least it would cost similar to Ladd which was 2 2nds and a 3rd.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, just riding out the Lucic contract is fine. Not like Calgary is contending. Keep the picks and hope for the best.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hmm, we're actually both wrong here. Edmonton is retaining 12.5% of the contract. So that would make the remaining actual cash $5.6875m (87.5% of $6.5m)
Of the cap hit. My understanding is they have to pay the retained cap hit amount. At least that was what they were saying a couple of months or so ago. It was why they thought there was a slim chance Seattle would claim him as he'd help them get to that cap floor. Of course Giordano serves the same function while being a top pairing defenseman so they went that route.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He'd be pretty easy to trade for an asset next year to a budget team if he'd waive. I doubt he would though. After his bonus next year he's a really cheap real cash player relative to his contract. Several teams might want that cap hit.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Lol as a Flames fan, I’d take Dvorak over Lucic any day. It’s not even close.

I like Lucic but he is expendable.
That's not really the choice though, if it was 1 for 1 most people would happily take Dvorak.
The trade would be Dvorak for Lucic + multiple top picks/prospects, that's where I'd rather keep Lucic.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't know why we keep making proposals with Lucic in them. He has a full NMC and doesn't want to move. Maybe he waives for Boston or a legit contender. No way he waives for AZ. That said, I think Dvorak is worth a late 1st alone. It probably costs a 2nd or more to move Lucic.

When you draft late in the first, a Dvorak is who you hope to get as a player, but it's a gamble. He's a sure thing and worth more than a gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad