Value of: Lucic (retained) & Bennett to Boston

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If you wanted the dynamic tandem of Lucic and Bennett, I am sure you could just reach into your pocket and give whatever coins/lint/kleenex you have in exchange

Reactions: TimThomas24

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
What a bizarre take. Lucic has played an effective role as a middle six left winger in typically a shutdown role. His poise with the puck has helped his line break out of the defensive zone more often than not, and he's one of his team's leaders in both goals scored and possession metrics.

I'm not sure which Milan Lucic you've been watching, but from the sounds of it you haven't watched him at all and probably just dug up some plus-minus stat that means SFA.
That's odd. I took a peek at the Flames board a few days ago to see if you guys were itching to get rid of Giordano and wound up reading scads of irritable posts about how dreadful Lucic's defense was.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Salty Oiler fans just mad that Lucic has more goals than 80% of their roster. How's Neal looking at 6.5 million? Cheers for the 3rd rounder btw

The sad thing is that Lucic probably does have more value Bennett

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Salty Oiler fans just mad that Lucic has more goals than 80% of their roster. How's Neal looking at 6.5 million? Cheers for the 3rd rounder btw
Neal isnt costing us massively at 5on5.

So its looking pretty good.

Wasn't that the argument last year? using Neal's plus minus against him?

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
Neal isnt costing us massively at 5on5.

So its looking pretty good.

Thats because he doesn't get any ice time. Cause he sucks. If Lucic was such a detriment 5v5 he wouldnt be playing on our shutdown defensive line. He's made a couple bad giveaways, sure, but he's a physical force and probably the toughest guy in the league right now. Neal is barely trusted to play 4th line minutes, 6.5 million for that guy is a joke when he brings nothing to the table other than McDavid PP tap ins.

Reactions: Traptor

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Thats because he doesn't get any ice time. Cause he sucks. If Lucic was such a detriment 5v5 he wouldnt be playing on our shutdown defensive line. He's made a couple bad giveaways, sure, but he's a physical force and probably the toughest guy in the league right now. Neal is barely trusted to play 4th line minutes, 6.5 million for that guy is a joke when he brings nothing to the table other than McDavid PP tap ins.
Lucic gets 1 more minute per game, hes giving up goals at a 4 goals/60 rate, what is he shutting down exactly?

Lucic is producing points at a 1.6/60 rate, Neal is 1.51/60.

Not far off, and one isnt bleeding goals against.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

They are both terrible players. The major key is that Lucic automatically occupies an protection spot for the expansion draft and Neal doesnt. The Flames basically have to beg Lucic to waive his NMC, and from last expansion draft, virtually no player agreed to waive their NMC. Lucic also has buy out proof contract

I can live with a player being a bum on the ice, I can not live with a contract that causes so many issues. So for that reason, Lucic has next to no value and no sane GM would trade for him

Reactions: ivanlwan

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
They are both terrible players. The major key is that Lucic automatically occupies an protection spot for the expansion draft and Neal doesnt. The Flames basically have to beg Lucic to waive his NMC, and from last expansion draft, virtually no player agreed to waive their NMC. Lucic also has buy out proof contract

I can live with a player being a bum on the ice, I can not live with a contract that causes so many issues. So for that reason, Lucic has next to no value and no sane GM would trade for him

I agree, Lucic has no value. Neal at 5.75 is the worse contract though IMO. At least Lucic fills a role with leadership and physical play which is expected from a guy at the bottom of the lineup. Lucic @5.25 vs Neal @6.5 (750k retained) is a no brainer. + a 3rd for Calgary.

Also it's been reported that Treliving asked whether he would his NMC for the expansion draft and Lucic agreed to do it prior or shortly after the trade. Zero Flames fans are worried about protecting Lucic.

Reactions: Traptor

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Unless Lucic has changed his mind, he's staying out West. It was a mutual decision between he and Sweeney after a personal tragedy made Lucic want to be closer to home.

It is Boston and Lucic still has a lot of fond memories and emotional pull when it comes to being a Bruin so anything can happen. But personally, I don't think he's coming back East.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
No reason for the Flames to rush to trade Lucic OR Bennett now that they are succeeding under Sutter (Lucic has been succeeding for over a calendar year at this point). If the value of trading them with retention is a 2nd I'd rather just spend the money on two guys who are showing up as timely depth scoring options with solid off-puck play. People who claim Lucic is terrible aren't watching him since Peters left. He's a valuable roster player for the Flames despite the price tag and paying to get rid of him is counter-intuitive to a team trying to be competitive.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Looks great. We look forward to buying him out this summer.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
With Lucic, depends how much is being retained. Lucic leads the team in hits, might be the best fighter in the league, and puts up fine numbers for a bottom six. The Flames have a lot of soft players, so they need Lucic.

His current hit for the Flames is 5.25. If the Flames are retaining more than 1.5-2 million it doesn't make sense. Unless the Flames have a specific ufa target, what's the point? They'd have to overpay to get toughness on the ufa/trade market.

The Flames aren't rebuilding. They have no need to unload guys with intangibles.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I thought he was pretty solid for the flames no?
If he was making 1M he would be considered the heart and soul of the team by fans awing over him.

If he was making 3M he would be considered an adequate, if not unfortunately not quite as hyped up to be, player

But he's making 6M (0.75 from the Oilers lol).

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
All of HF values these two with no value.

No at paying assets to get rid of them.

Lucic and Bennett are doing just fine for us.

i think they provide a winning element to a team. But that element boston has plenty of. They dont have the “put pucks in the net element” currently which is what they need and what these 2 dont really provide. So no value? No. But to boston their value isnt worth spending for.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
If he was making 1M he would be considered the heart and soul of the team by fans awing over him.

If he was making 3M he would be considered an adequate, if not unfortunately not quite as hyped up to be, player

But he's making 6M (0.75 from the Oilers lol).

But he's effectively making 5.25 million as far as the Flames or any team acquiring him from the Flames cares

Every single team except the Caps and Leafs has one if not multiple players overpaid by 2.25M or more, at least Lucic is a physical vet.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Lucic is honestly one of my favourite players. Bennett looks like a perfect fit for Sutter. Meat and potatoes hockey is better for those two for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad