Value of: Lucic (retained) & Bennett to Boston

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Not sure Calgary has any motivation to trade Lucic at this point. In the unlikely event his NMC proves to be a hurdle for expansion, they'll buy him out. And he's been above water as a player this year.

radioactivenuts

Jan 9, 2020
There is absolutely no sense in trading lucic until we get something, but that is not going to happen with his contract.
Pay him the next 2 years and then sign him for a mill if he keeps playing that way- he will gladly take it. But there is no point in moving him with assets.
Nor does it make sense to trade Bennett now, as he seems to play a better role under Sutter and hasn´t any value to his head. Furthermore if we loose both we have no grit left in our rooster

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
I will take those tow guys anytime with this team, put them on the 4th line with Kuraly can be great...

Marchy Bergy Pasta
Ritchie Krejci xxxx
Frederick Coyle Smith
Looch Kuraly Bennett

Have to do something with Debrusk, Bjork, Wagner, go hard on a real RW

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I would do naked handstands to see Lucic in a Bruins jersey again. I know I'm thinking of the young player but damn.. Was there ever a player who was born to play in the B's it was him..
Taxisquad or the smallest role on the team I don't care, I would love to see him retire in black and gold.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I would do naked handstands to see Lucic in a Bruins jersey again. I know I'm thinking of the young player but damn.. Was there ever a player who was born to play in the B's it was him..
Taxisquad or the smallest role on the team I don't care, I would love to see him retire in black and gold.
Have him sign a short term, low cap hit deal on a farewell deal then. Otherwise, I just see Lucic coming here and ruining the good memories you have of him.

His last season here was unspectacular, yet he was able to still leave here on a high note. I think if he came back, he'd have quick warm embrace followed by getting criticized out of town for not being the young 20 something most of the fanbase remembers.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Have him sign a short term, low cap hit deal on a farewell deal then. Otherwise, I just see Lucic coming here and ruining the good memories you have of him.

His last season here was unspectacular, yet he was able to still leave here on a high note. I think if he came back, he'd have quick warm embrace followed by getting criticized out of town for not being the young 20 something most of the fanbase remembers.
Yeah you are probably right. Perhaps it's better to keep the good memories.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I will take those tow guys anytime with this team, put them on the 4th line with Kuraly can be great...

Marchy Bergy Pasta
Ritchie Krejci xxxx
Frederick Coyle Smith
Looch Kuraly Bennett

Have to do something with Debrusk, Bjork, Wagner, go hard on a real RW
great make a deal for fourth line that will increase your goal scoring........

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
HFBoards are great.

Oil Fans: Lucic is a waste of space, complete bum, anchor contract.
Flames Fans: He's been really good for us this year. He's had some big goals, he's been used as a shutdown forward with Backlund, his analytics are great, he generates more than he concedes... He started slow, but that was to be expected from an older big guy with no preseason. We have no reason to give him away at this time.

HFBoards: Well, haven't watched the guy, but apparently he's a waste of space, a complete bum and anchor of a contract. Could we have Calgary pay us for him and Bennett?

Reactions: Nanuuk

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
HFBoards are great.

Flames Fans: He's been really good for us this year. He's had some big goals, he's been used as a shutdown forward with Backlund, his analytics are great, he generates more than he concedes... He started slow, but that was to be expected from an older big guy with no preseason. We have no reason to give him away at this time.

HFBoards: Well, haven't watched the guy, but apparently he's a waste of space, a complete bum and anchor of a contract. Could we have Calgary pay us for him and Bennett?
So Looch is like... our second, third and fourth line??

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So Looch is like... our second, third and fourth line??

He's playing on Calgary's third line, if that helps.
The way he's playing this year, if this was a normal year, he'd be a 35-40 point forward, easily the toughest dude in the league (this year his fights have all been one sided) and a guy who is going to help more than hurt. It's funny for some people to think of him as like the worst contract in the league... but in reality he's been absolutely solid.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not sure Calgary has any motivation to trade Lucic at this point. In the unlikely event his NMC proves to be a hurdle for expansion, they'll buy him out. And he's been above water as a player this year.

Lucic can't really be bought out with any substantial savings.

He could make sense for a non-cap issue team to pick him up post signing bonus. He has a $5.25 million cap hit for two years, but actual salary owed would be:

2021/22: $5.6875 over 2 years or average of $2.84375/year.
2022/23: $0.875 on remaining year.

There's also a chance he just retires before the 2022/23 season. If his play gets worse after next year, is he really going to hang around in some demeaning role for $1 million? The NMC prevents him from being sent down, but doesn't stop them from benching him or making him a healthy scratch. His front loaded contract makes a buyout pointless, but his last year is a $3 million signing bonus and $1million in salary.

If Lucic keeps up his play, the Flames keep him. If he craps the bed over 2021/22, then he gets potentially traded or retires. If a bottom team won't take him for $0.875/year, that signals it's time to hang them up.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The way he's playing this year, if this was a normal year, he'd be a 35-40 point forward, easily the toughest dude in the league (this year his fights have all been one sided) and a guy who is going to help more than hurt. It's funny for some people to think of him as like the worst contract in the league... but in reality he's been absolutely solid.

Very true. He's still overpaid, but so are a lot of players. Lucic with his current play is probably worth 2.5million or even 3 million/year or so, which makes him 2.25-2.75 million overpaid. There are many players with that level of bad contract, yet Lucic gets mentioned non-stop.

Lucic actually looks pretty great in Sutter's system. I hope he keeps it up.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
i'va watched some Calgary games this year and he s playing well...

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
1. Looch has been playing fine. Has a Corsi of 52.7% with oZone/dZone starts evenly split. He is second on the team in hits (86) in 29 games. He is 8th on the club in Takeaways (10, tied with 3 others). He is 13th on the club in Giveways (10). He leads the club in fighting majors (3), good for 3rd most in the league (along with 12 other players). He creates room out there (a lot of it). He's well liked by his team mates.

2. He has a No Move Clause (NMC) meaning he can't be traded or waived without his consent. This clause means he can't be exposed in the draft without his consent. Speculation is he indicated he would before the move to acquire him was made.

3. A Modified No Trade Clause (M-NTC) kicks in after this season (in addition to his NMC) where he can be traded to a predetermined list of teams of his choosing.

4. The Flames never, ever, retain salary on a transaction.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

People are in denial around.

Fact of the matter is if they aren’t brought up enough for their good things then they’ll never be recognized.

Lucic, Mangiapane, and Hanifin are the top 3 players on Calgary that come to mind that fall I to this. I feel HF doesn’t recognize that they are much more valued than people perceive them to be.

1021huss

Jan 26, 2010
I think looch is what the b’s need someone to give an ass whooping. I’d also sign mcquaid if he would take a league minimum

member 96824

I think looch is what the b’s need someone to give an ass whooping. I’d also sign mcquaid if he would take a league minimum

Yeah totally, and I've never ever moved on from one cup 10 years ago either..what's Mark Recchi up to these days?

member 96824

Half of our fan base: "HAHA HABS 1993 FOREVER"

That same half: "What the Bruouinz need is LOOCH back. Let's trade for Looch and Horton."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad