Value of: Lucic plus 2019 1st at the draft

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
12 points from the playoffs and 15 points from last place. Not a whole lot closer to the playoffs hahaha. Its almost like my Canucks, we are just middling in that no mans land also right now, especially since they decided to start winning lately.

It’s called progressing. You don’t go from bottom feeder to contenders like that. I think people forgot what “no mans land” really means, which is an aging, middle-of-the-pack team.

For example, Minnesota (although they finally started to move out big contracts) is in no mans land, Vancouver is progressing. There’s a huge difference between the two.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Hate to break it to you that the "hybrid system" doesn't work and you miss the playoffs when you don't have dedicated centers....

Hate to break it to you but wingers don't lead their team in faceoffs taken by 400+ draws. McDavid/Draisaitl play a hybrid system

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Depends on what Edmonton is adding to the 2019 1st to get rid of Lucic. Nobody is taking on that contract for a single pick unless it’s 1OA or 2OA.

Yah right. Lucic doesn’t fetch you a bonafide Jack Hughes or Kakko. Ottawa needs to hit the cap floor anyway. I can easily see them take on Lucic for a top 5-10 pick. Anything top 5 is overkill.

If Edmonton was silly enough to do that? For a first over all or second overall? There entire Front Office needs to be fired.

Edit: I still wouldn’t move a Edmonton first for Lucic to Be off the books. But if they did? that would be the max I would offer. Is a first 5-10 range nothing more

Last edited:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yah right. Lucic doesn’t fetch you a bonafide Jack Hughes or Kakko. Ottawa needs to hit the cap floor anyway. I can easily see them take on Lucic for a top 5-10 pick. Anything top 5 is overkill.

If Edmonton was silly enough to do that? For a first over all or second overall? There entire Front Office needs to be fired.

Edit: I still wouldn’t move a Edmonton first for Lucic to Be off the books. But if they did? that would be the max I would offer. Is a first 5-10 range nothing more

I’m not saying it makes sense for Edmonton to trade a top pick to get rid of Lucic; I’m just saying it makes zero sense for another team to take him on for less.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I’m not saying it makes sense for Edmonton to trade a top pick to get rid of Lucic; I’m just saying it makes zero sense for another team to take him on for less.

Not when there’s teams like Ottawa who needs to make the mandatory cap floor this off season. And Ottawa would Be interested in Lucic for the right price. But that price isn’t a top 5 pick from Edmonton. Ottawa wouldn’t even ask for that being so silly.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Not worth trying to attach Lucic to it. If you're going to trade it then trade it for straight up value. Wait out another year with Lucic and hope for another compliance buyout after the lockout or force him into LTIR then trade him to a cap floor team.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Not when there’s teams like Ottawa who needs to make the mandatory cap floor this off season. And Ottawa would Be interested in Lucic for the right price. But that price isn’t a top 5 pick from Edmonton. Ottawa wouldn’t even ask for that being so silly.

If we’re talking a single pick, that’s what it’s going to take; otherwise you’re talking about multiple quality pieces to move that albatross of a contract. We’re talking about a six goal, 20-point forward making $6M a year for the next four years. On top of that he can’t be moved or buried without his permission AND will require protection in the expansion draft. And you think a single pick that won’t return a potential franchise player will be sufficient incentive for a team to take that on?

Here’s a couple comparisons for you to see how ludicrous that idea is. People here have said repeatedly that it would take a first and one of Tampa’s top prospects to move a single year of Callahan, who is paid less than Lucic while being a better player. And yet you think you can get rid of four times as many years of a worse player making more money for less than that?

Second, consider the sort of player a team can have for $6M in cap space, whether signed as a UFA or acquired via trade. We’re talking a top six forward/top four defenseman, possibly a top line forward/top pairing defenseman (though not an elite one). So why would a team give up the opportunity to potentially acquire such an impact player if the return is not commensurate with that? Not to mention then having to lose a player to expansion that they otherwise could have protected.

The only thing silly here is the notion that a team is going to do you a favor by taking one of the worst contracts in the league for a single magic bean. Moving Lucic, if it can even be done, is going to seriously hurt.

Reactions: h2owned

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Why the hell would we do that? We need another overpaid 4th liner on this team? In 2 more years we would have Petey, Guadette and Hughes all looking for raises, you think adding Lucic contract with Eriksson and Beagle would be a good idea? Thats cap hell then. Plus 2nds don't do squat, wouldn't even entertain it if their 1st wasn't involved.

No doubt I see your concern, But at 4 million he is a lot more moveable, and if we retain additional cap, there may be a few teams interested in him for even more...….Lucic has value, just not at 6Million

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
If we’re talking a single pick, that’s what it’s going to take; otherwise you’re talking about multiple quality pieces to move that albatross of a contract. We’re talking about a six goal, 20-point forward making $6M a year for the next four years. On top of that he can’t be moved or buried without his permission AND will require protection in the expansion draft. And you think a single pick that won’t return a potential franchise player will be sufficient incentive for a team to take that on?

Here’s a couple comparisons for you to see how ludicrous that idea is. People here have said repeatedly that it would take a first and one of Tampa’s top prospects to move a single year of Callahan, who is paid less than Lucic while being a better player. And yet you think you can get rid of four times as many years of a worse player making more money for less than that?

Second, consider the sort of player a team can have for $6M in cap space, whether signed as a UFA or acquired via trade. We’re talking a top six forward/top four defenseman, possibly a top line forward/top pairing defenseman (though not an elite one). So why would a team give up the opportunity to potentially acquire such an impact player if the return is not commensurate with that? Not to mention then having to lose a player to expansion that they otherwise could have protected.

The only thing silly here is the notion that a team is going to do you a favor by taking one of the worst contracts in the league for a single magic bean. Moving Lucic, if it can even be done, is going to seriously hurt.

A Middle/late first to extremely late first which is usually where Tampa drafts at isn’t the same as a top 5 pick. That top 5 pick can possibly play that very next season for the NHL team that drafted them.

The scenario of you explaining 1 year of Callahan isn’t the same as a bonafide all star blue chip pedigree top 5 draftee for a Lucic contract.

Jack Hughes is being compared to the next Auston Mathews. Do you really think a team taking on Lucic would ask for a younger Auston Matthews while knowing the phone is going to hang up on the other end? That’s ridiculous man.

If the contract is that big of a problem. They should just keep em. That asking price is absurd, and extremely far fetched of what it would take to dump Lucic.

Last edited:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
No doubt I see your concern, But at 4 million he is a lot more moveable, and if we retain additional cap, there may be a few teams interested in him for even more...….Lucic has value, just not at 6Million

Even at 6 million. That doesn’t cost Edmonton the next Auston Matthews with Jack Hughes.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
What makes me laugh is EDM fans still thinking they can get out of that contract w/out giving up that 1st pick.

NOTHING outside of McJesus or Draisaitl is going to entice a GM enough to take on that contract, EVEN when you're a bottom feeder.

NO Bustjarvi isn't gonna cut it
NO Bear isn't gonna cut it
NO Jones isn't gonna cut it

ANy team acquring him HAS to think abotu the player they'll lose to Seattle doing so. Therefore, ANY player that COULD get picked by Seattle (tehrefore requires protection) is going to be a non starter for ANY team. Cause it takes TWO protection spot, therefore increasing the chances of losing one of your own players.

Evan Bouchard might do it, but then again, losing Bouchard or that 1st round pick, what's he difference?

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
What makes me laugh is EDM fans still thinking they can get out of that contract w/out giving up that 1st pick.

NOTHING outside of McJesus or Draisaitl is going to entice a GM enough to take on that contract, EVEN when you're a bottom feeder.

NO Bustjarvi isn't gonna cut it
NO Bear isn't gonna cut it
NO Jones isn't gonna cut it

ANy team acquring him HAS to think abotu the player they'll lose to Seattle doing so. Therefore, ANY player that COULD get picked by Seattle (tehrefore requires protection) is going to be a non starter for ANY team. Cause it takes TWO protection spot, therefore increasing the chances of losing one of your own players.

Evan Bouchard might do it, but then again, losing Bouchard or that 1st round pick, what's he difference?

Because Bouchard isn’t on the same level of Elite talent like Jack Hughes is? That’s why if they get first overall.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Because Bouchard isn’t on the same level of Elite talent like Jack Hughes is? That’s why if they get first overall.

That's a risk to take. If they aren't willing to take it, they can live w/ Lucic than I guess

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
A Middle/late first to extremely late first which is usually where Tampa drafts at isn’t the same as a top 5 pick. That top 5 pick can possibly play that very next season for the NHL team that drafted them.

The scenario of you explaining 1 year of Callahan isn’t the same as a bonafide all star blue chip pedigree top 5 draftee for a Lucic contract.

Jack Hughes is being compared to the next Auston Mathews. Do you really think a team taking on Lucic would ask for a younger Auston Matthews while knowing the phone is going to hang up on the other end? That’s ridiculous man.

If the contract is that big of a problem. They should just keep em. That asking price is absurd, and extremely far fetched of what it would take to dump Lucic.

Again, you’re still misrepresenting my argument. I said that’s the caliber of pick it would require if you’re only offering a single pick. If all you’re going to offer is a single pick then it needs to be at a position where a team can draft a can’t-miss top line/pairing player. If you don’t want to give that up then you’re realistically talking about multiple firsts, quality young players, and/or top prospects. But a single lesser first round pick as you keep proposing is NOT going to cut it for four years of a $6M bum who will also require protection in the expansion draft.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Again, you’re still misrepresenting my argument. I said that’s the caliber of pick it would require if you’re only offering a single pick. If all you’re going to offer is a single pick then it needs to be at a position where a team can draft a can’t-miss top line/pairing player. If you don’t want to give that up then you’re realistically talking about multiple firsts, quality young players, and/or top prospects. But a single lesser first round pick as you keep proposing is NOT going to cut it for four years of a $6M bum who will also require protection in the expansion draft.

Lots of teams have worst players than Lucic. Ducks got Corey Perry for 8.6 million for the next 2 full seasons. Whom barely played 29 games this season as well being utterly horrid.

That doesn’t mean I’m shipping off Corey Perry with our first just to get that Contract off our books.

Lucic is a steal compared to Corey Perry’s contract in the foreseeable future.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
6 goals and 20 points isn't much for 4 mill especially when his skating has gone to craps and can't keep up and has a NMC/heavy NTC the entire contract. In 2-3 years his skating will be so slow he won't even see the ice because a coach won't trust him to get up or back at all.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
6 goals and 20 points isn't much for 4 mill especially when his skating has gone to craps and can't keep up and has a NMC/heavy NTC the entire contract. In 2-3 years his skating will be so slow he won't even see the ice because a coach won't trust him to get up or back at all.

Hey
I am not saying "this is a great idea", but rather,"can we get it to work?"

I am looking at it this way...……..

Edmonton gives
Lucic @ 2 million retained per year
2019 2nd
2019 3rd
2020 2nd

Can Vancouver trade
Lucic @ 2 million retained per year
for
2019 2nd?

Benefit to Trading team...…….4 years of cap = 24 Million for 8 million (2 Million per year)
Benefit to Vancouver...………...lots of picks for 8 million (buying picks) for being the middleman
Benefit to Edmonton...………...Clears 16 million cap without loosing a 1st or prospect

Problem is Lucic has to agree to it all, before first trade...…….and he will, because he wants out and to start anew

Everybody wins...……...

I am a Van fan so I want it to be Vancouver that does it, but really it could be any team...………....

Problem ….finding the 3rd team.....

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
1st 2019 is going nowhere.

Lucic's salary isn't a big impediment in the long run to anything. Next season the Oilers might be a bit tight against the cap but after that they have over $22 million in cap room.

That 1st is probably a top 8 pick the way it looks now, no way in hell you move that for a stupid cap dump.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Lucic's salary isn't a big impediment in the long run to anything. Next season the Oilers might be a bit tight against the cap but after that they have over $22 million in cap room.

That 1st is probably a top 8 pick the way it looks now, no way in hell you move that for a stupid cap dump.

And no way in hell you move Looch. End thread!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm not desperate to work a trade to get Lucic to the Habs but I do think he waives his NMC to come to the Habs to play with Weber and Gallagher. The only thing that works is Alzner+ for Lucic+ but the Habs are not the ones who need to make a deal to get rid of Alzner. Alzner's contract is way more buy out friendly after next season.

With Alzner, Oilers would save $1.4M for next season and then buy out Alzner after the season. Cap hits with Lucic vs Alzner would be as follows...

19/20: $6M vs $4.6
20/21: (Alzner bought out): $6M vs $3.96M
21/22: $6M vs $1.96M
22/23: $6M vs $833k
23/24: $0M vs $833k

$11.8M in cap space savings over the next 5 seasons. If you want to compare another situation with buying out Lucic at the same time as Alzner, the cap savings drops to $10.3M in total but spread out over 2 more years

19/20: $6M vs $4.6
20/21: (Lucic vs Alzner buy out differences): $5.5M vs $3.96M
21/22: $4M vs $1.96M
22/23: $5.5M vs $833k
23/24: $500kM vs $833k
24/25: $500kM vs $0k
25/26: $500kM vs $0k

Comes down to how much does it cost the Oilers for the Habs to help them save $12M in cap space over the next 5 seasons while the Habs also take on the NMC where they have to protect him in the next expansion draft
Montreal is about the only team who can take on Lucic. Has to be a team with tremendous caproom and Lucic may waive to get back with his former coach. I can't see Oilers touching Alzner.

If the right player is there with Oilers pick I would consider "buying" their pick by taking on Lucic. We could play him on the 4th line, he would chip in 10 goals and give us toughness. After the Byron beatdown and Gallagher getting run against Tom Wilson last game.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

These people don’t understand that Lucic at 6.0 and top 7 draft pick at .975 gives us 2-top 9 winger making 3.5 each which is not bad. You keep the pick but draft the BPA and ride this out.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I would take Lucic for Edmontons 1st in a heart beat.

We have a bunch of player who does not need protections...

Petry, Gallagher, Danault

We can easily protect everyone we want.

when you're in trouble you buy out Alzner.

Last edited:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
You people are missing the part where Edm gets something of value because that pick is 7th. This feeding frenzy about Lucic lack of value is sickening. Lucic is a bad contract but after July 1st’s signing bonus is paid he is only 4 million in actual cash with a 6 million dollar hit. He was 7th leaguewide in hits and still fights,. He is expensive but somebody will trade for him with sweetener, but it won’t be that first without some value coming back.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?season=2018&category=DEFENSE&group=1&time=0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad