Friedman: Lucic on the move?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I'd propose Looch for Bobby Ryan (10% retention). Ryan has one less year on his contract and - while equally inconsistent - provides a considerably higher level of skill than Looch. For the Sens, even with the retention they end up paying less actual money vs keeping Ryan (over the course of the 4 years of Ryan's contract). The trade would take place after July 1st (where both players are paid out their bonus, Lucic being the larger bonus.

Looch remaining contract (after bonus paid this year): 3.5, 6, 4, 5, 4 totalling 22.5 mil + 2.8 mil total retention on Ryan for 25.3 mil but have Looch for an extra year (essentially like paying Looch 100k for the last year).

Oilers end up paying 25.2 mil for Ryan.
Ye Sens would never do that

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm somewhat confident that Lucic can bounce back next season so I'd be upset if the Oilers took back a really bad contract in return or give up the #10 pick. Lucic had a good 1st half of the season.. just the 2nd half was awful

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Only if the Oilers are willing to retain big on Lucic.

Again, you’re not understanding how it works.

In a potential Lucic deal, the team getting him will get a sweetener (not multiple and not anything idiotic like Nurse, JP or 10th) , or you get big retention, or you get to dump a bad contract back our way.

There is no scenario at all where you will get all three and we end up taking on way more cap than we are giving up. That has no basis in reality and utterly defeats the purpose. I’d rather dress Lucic on the fourth line every game for the next five years than do that.

Reactions: ivanlwan

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Bet hes regretting not signing in his hometown :laugh:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Lucic @ 50% retained for Matt Martin and a conditional 1st rounder 2019. If the LEafs make the East conf finals AND lucic gets 40 points, they get the first. If not, Oilers get a 2nd 2019.

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
Lucic @ 50% retained for Matt Martin and a conditional 1st rounder 2019. If the LEafs make the East conf finals AND lucic gets 40 points, they get the first. If not, Oilers get a 2nd 2019.

Haha what? So the Oilers pay half of Lucics salary, then add 2.5 for Martin for a 2nd rounder? Get real.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Again, you’re not understanding how it works.

In a potential Lucic deal, the team getting him will get a sweetener (not multiple and not anything idiotic like Nurse, JP or 10th) , or you get big retention, or you get to dump a bad contract back our way.

There is no scenario at all where you will get all three and we end up taking on way more cap than we are giving up. That has no basis in reality and utterly defeats the purpose. I’d rather dress Lucic on the fourth line every game for the next five years than do that.
Not sure what world you live in where a team is taking that Lucic contract for the next five years without giving up atleast 10. JP and Nurse is too much in my opinion, but 10 is very feasible. He had a pretty unlucky year last year considering he still generated some shots but shot like 7 percent. I think he's an OK player. The guy still makes 6 mil for the next 5 years and just turned 30.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Alzner and a 2nd rounder from this year for Lucic and a 3rd rounder?

I'm sure Montreal will try something on this , Bergevin really liked him back when he signed with Edmonton and he even offered him more money.

There's plenty of defenseman that could be moved from Montreal to clear a spot on D, we have the cap room right now and I think it would fit a need on both ends.

Lucic could perhaps replace Shaw if his career is in jeopardy because of the concussions and the Oilers could certainly use a decent defenseman.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Alzner and a 2nd rounder from this year for Lucic and a 3rd rounder?

I'm sure Montreal will try something on this , Bergevin really liked him back when he signed with Edmonton and he even offered him more money.

There's plenty of defenseman that could be moved from Montreal to clear a spot on D, we have the cap room right now and I think it would fit a need on both ends.

Lucic could perhaps replace Shaw if his career is in jeopardy because of the concussions and the Oilers could certainly use a decent defenseman.

If Lucic leaves Edmonton. He is done in the Canadian market

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
If Lucic leaves Edmonton. He is done in the Canadian market

Does he have a no move clause? I doubt he's in a position where he's able to pick where he's going unless he does have one. Besides, why do you think he's done in a Canadian market? Him and Gallagher are pretty good friends and they train together during summer generally.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Does he have a no move clause? I doubt he's in a position where he's able to pick where he's going unless he does have one. Besides, why do you think he's done in a Canadian market? Him and Gallagher are pretty good friends and they train together during summer generally.
He currently does have a NMC. I have a feeling that the Habs might actually try to make an offer to acquire him. Screams character and grit. I think they will try to send cap back and no rentention on either side. Edmonton with a sweetener.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
hlDRd4i.gif

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
He currently does have a NMC. I have a feeling that the Habs might actually try to make an offer to acquire him. Screams character and grit. I think they will try to send cap back and no rentention on either side. Edmonton with a sweetener.
Alzner for him makes sense to me, less money for less time in a position that would satisfy both teams I just don't think it would happen one on one straight up.

Edit: Thanks for the mention of the NMC, I wasn't sure.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
They don't swing back and forth. The game itself has changed and has changed fast in the last 2-3 years.

This isn't a phase where speed and skill is popular now and soon big and strong will be popular again. We aren't talking about fashion. It's an evolving game.

You could not be more wrong. Just watch when big players get overlooked there will be a team who takes advantage and creates a big skilled but slower team and destroys everyone. Don’t know if you followed the playoffs but size was a huge factor for most teams and that will truly never change imo. Things do swing back and forth all the time and I garuntee we will see the return of big players ruling some day. Look at the Bruins they braught it back in 2010. Every team was looking for the next Lucic at one point and it will happen again. The player he once was was the most unique player in the league. There was once a time where people said he was untouchable. Problem with big players is they decline much faster after years of playing a huge heavy game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad