Speculation: Lucic interested in Vancouver

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
if ever, i only want him for 1 or 2 yr gap...not long term...nonono

It's a pipe dream to believe that however.

The only way you'll get a guy like Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Backes, whoever, etc., is if you offer a very favorable term and money. Why? Because - the Canucks are a bubble playoff team, if that.

Guys like Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, etc., can get short term heavy cap hit deals on any contending team out there. They aren't going to choose Vancouver over those teams out of the goodness of their hearts.

Consider the bar analogy. There's a beautiful full figured caucasion woman (Lucic), and she has the choice of going home with a 'stud' alpha male who's at 9% body fat and has 6-pack abs (Chicago Blackhawks), or some 'beta' with a beer belly (Vancouver Canucks).

Unless the 'beta' with the beer belly has a deep wallet or something else up his sleeve.....like a 9 wood (i.e. in NHL term, this would be 'term'), then the woman will be going with the alpha male.

At best, the beta will be able to attract a fellow male bear who is looking to play with a young cub (i.e. a Thomas Vanek type, or a Brian Campbell type).

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
A few different sources are saying talks between Lucic and LA management are back on again, with the Kings planning to make their best offer soon. Here's hoping they sign him up long term, to a very big ticket, with a NMC.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
I would love to have Lucic with the Canucks..
but agreed only for 3ish years.. and I agree he'll be looking at much longer deal for big money. I'd rather go all out for Backes.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I really don't know why Milan could even be interested in us (in less we simply offer him a contract he cant refuse). A team near the bottom of the standings, and its city displayed hatred towards him and his family (even though it's his hometown) in the past.

From the Canucks point of view why tie up so much money and term with a guy who would be "playing well" if he gets 60 points in 2/4 years they'll sign him for.

Oh yeah, Milan was on Boston's cup team. Oh yeah Jim is trying to relive his Boston days, you know back when he won a cup.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC

The only way you'll get a guy like Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Backes, whoever, etc., is if you offer a very favorable term and money. Why? Because - the Canucks are a bubble playoff team, if that.

Guys like Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, etc., can get short term heavy cap hit deals on any contending team out there. They aren't going to choose Vancouver over those teams out of the goodness of their hearts.

Consider the bar analogy. There's a beautiful full figured caucasion woman (Lucic), and she has the choice of going home with a 'stud' alpha male who's at 9% body fat and has 6-pack abs (Chicago Blackhawks), or some 'beta' with a beer belly (Vancouver Canucks).

Unless the 'beta' with the beer belly has a deep wallet or something else up his sleeve.....like a 9 wood (i.e. in NHL term, this would be 'term'), then the woman will be going with the alpha male.

At best, the beta will be able to attract a fellow male bear who is looking to play with a young cub (i.e. a Thomas Vanek type, or a Brian Campbell type).

haha. What is this? 9 wood? haha

Somehow I think this analogy could have been a bit more succinct.

Thanks for the laugh.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I hope LA is indeed putting something together. If it's at all close Lucic is likely to take it.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If Jimbo signs him. I am burning all my Canucks jerseys.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

I don't want the Canucks to go anywhere near Lucic, but if we're doing bar analogies, what you speak of is a myth. The alpha male you speak of only exists on shows like the bachelorette and in the real world this beautiful full figured woman posts on craigslist.

Women go home with all kinds of men for many different reasons. Some have preferences for what you speak of, but overall each situation is individual. At the end of the day life is short and there are only so many suitors. If Lucic had his pick the LA Kings would be the perfect match but we all know they can't commit.. The Canucks have all kinds of benefits to offer Lucic besides money and competitiveness that other teams do not have. Having said that, Benning is at the helm so I'll be shocked if Lucic isnt offered a huge contract with term.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I feel that people negative about Lucic because it's a very possible he signs so they're drawing the line in the sand for when the day comes they can crap all over Benning.

Why else would we NOT want a young power forward who's a 20-30 goals scorer in his prime? We haven't had the like since Bertuzzi. Obviously barring a complete ridiculas overpayment I'd love to have Lucic. As long as Benning pays fair market value @ 6m ( +/- .5m) then it's a good signing.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Doesn't lucic pretty much exclusively play LW?

Wouldn't that force Baertschi down the lineup?

It would essentially create this "problem"

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Lucic-Sutter-Hansen
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Etem-Granlund-Rodin

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Hamhuis-Tryamkin

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It would essentially create this "problem"

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Lucic-Sutter-Hansen
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Etem-Granlund-Rodin

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Hamhuis-Tryamkin

That's a horrendous lineup.

Not sure Burrows can cut it on the top line anymore. He would be solid in a 4th line role on a good team, or a 3rd line role here.

That second line is awful. I don't see how it clicks at all. Then again, the same could be said for almost any Sutter line.

Third line is nice, no complaints.

Fourth line is horrendous as well.

Defense is meh. The lack of puck moving defensemen on there is going to hurt. Hutton excels at that, but his puck possession is poor and pairing him with another poor puck possession defenseman is going to ensure that pairing is hemmed in their own zone a lot.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
That's a horrendous lineup.

Not sure Burrows can cut it on the top line anymore. He would be solid in a 4th line role on a good team, or a 3rd line role here.

That second line is awful. I don't see how it clicks at all. Then again, the same could be said for almost any Sutter line.

Third line is nice, no complaints.

Fourth line is horrendous as well.

Defense is meh. The lack of puck moving defensemen on there is going to hurt. Hutton excels at that, but his puck possession is poor and pairing him with another poor puck possession defenseman is going to ensure that pairing is hemmed in their own zone a lot.

I highly doubt Lucic is the only piece. Eriksson signing is more likely:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Lucic - Horvat - Virtanen
Baertschi - Sutter - Hansen
Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Hamhuis - Tryamkin

Miller
Markstrom

It's not cup contender, but a playoff appearance is very likely with this. On paper, we're deeper than 2014, which is a huge plus. We're also not factoring camp surprises like Tkachuk or Dubois, who are very close to the NHL.

Certainly entertaining to watch.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Hamhuis - Tryamkin

Miller
Markstrom

It's not cup contender, but a playoff appearance is very likely with this. On paper, we're deeper than 2014, which is a huge plus. We're also not factoring camp surprises like Tkachuk or Dubois, who are very close to the NHL.

I personally think we have enough "vets" (maybe add just one more). "Let the kids play". Take our lumps this upcoming season.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I personally think we have enough "vets" (maybe add just one more). "Let the kids play". Take our lumps this upcoming season.

Well, which kid can play with the Sedins? I think Eriksson is the best fit.

You can make a case for having Baertschi play LW with Horvat, but having Lucic there just makes us deeper.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel that people negative about Lucic because it's a very possible he signs so they're drawing the line in the sand for when the day comes they can crap all over Benning.

Why else would we NOT want a young power forward who's a 20-30 goals scorer in his prime? We haven't had the like since Bertuzzi. Obviously barring a complete ridiculas overpayment I'd love to have Lucic. As long as Benning pays fair market value @ 6m ( +/- .5m) then it's a good signing.

Why I don't want him :

1) He makes me sick as a person and a player, and I'd have trouble cheering for this team if he was on it. Would rival having Messier as a Canuck.

2) He's a good player, but very over-rated. You're calling him a 20-30 goal scorer, but over his last 4 seasons he's averaged 18 goals/82 GP with consistent front-line icetime with top players. Most of what you're paying for is 'toughness' fluff that doesn't matter in today's NHL.

3) He IS going to get horribly overpaid. We'd get 1-2 seasons where his contract looks OK, and then pay for it through the teeth on the back end of the deal.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Hamhuis - Tryamkin

Miller
Markstrom

That defense is still pretty bad. That fourth line is still awful. That top line is old and slow. Don't expect PPG out of those 3. The 2nd line is OK. I don't see Baertschi meshing well with Sutter, though Hansen is probably the best partner Sutter can have on his line.

Still not a playoff team.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
That defense is still pretty bad. That fourth line is still awful. That top line is old and slow. Don't expect PPG out of those 3. The 2nd line is OK. I don't see Baertschi meshing well with Sutter, though Hansen is probably the best partner Sutter can have on his line.

Define "bad". That defence is pretty respectable.

Edler - Tanev have proved to be very good shutdown defenceman, all thanks to Tanev.

Hutton - Gudbranson has yet to show anything together, but based on what they have accomplished so far, in theory and on paper, this looks like a good fit. A mobile, offensive defenceman paired with a stay-at-home physical defenceman?

And we finally have a bottom pairing, likely 15 minutes a night, from Hammer - Tryamkin. From what I've seen in Tryamkin, he's definitely a solid option at 6th. He can read plays well and having a veteran next to him should ease the transition even better. Wouldn't be surprised if he jumps into the top 4 at seasons end.

I think you need to temper your expectations. Who do you exactly expect to have play D on the 5th and 6th spots? Yandle?

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012

That lineup looks relatively deep.

Sedin, Sedin, Lucic and Eriksson are 100% top 6 forwards. Hansen is top 6 complementary, Horvat put up 40 last year with **** deployment ,and Baertschi definitely was one of our better forwards last season. If that is the lineup, it comes down to Willie's deployment and line matching for success.

I'd prefer Ladd + Eriksson over Lucic + Eriksson but I doubt Ladd will sign here.

On a side note, I really hope Virtanen can be tried on the LW. I like his game there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad