Speculation: Lucic interested in Vancouver

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think you missed the tweet where he basically stated he wants to go to a team that can win the Cup. That's not us.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
lets lock him up long term with lots of $$

get to witness him decline from day 1 to when he gets bought out

BCNeil

Apr 21, 2016
It's fluff. Of course he is going to say he is interested in ALL options.
At the very least, saying he would be interested in talking to the Canucks gives him some leverage in negotiating with the Kings.

I guess the opposite is Hamhuis, who basically says Canucks or retirement.
Everyone wants to lowball cause of it.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
I added the other cup contending team quote, but to say we aren't in the mix given it is his hometown is slighty shortsighted.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sounds like he said "I want to go to a contending team. But sure, I'll listen to the canucks."

He also makes the team harder to cheer for. I understand his talents. I just don't like him.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
if he doesn't sign with the Kings, I don't feel like he'll give any special consideration to the Canucks other than it's a western team. I think if he gets to free agency, he'll be a complete mercenary

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like he said "I want to go to a contending team. But sure, I'll listen to the canucks."

He also makes the team harder to cheer for. I understand his talents. I just don't like him.

I haven't disliked an NHL player as much as Lucic since Mark Messier.

Just a sickening, gutless, cheapshot, crybaby rat.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
if he doesn't sign with the Kings, I don't feel like he'll give any special consideration to the Canucks other than it's a western team. I think if he gets to free agency, he'll be a complete mercenary

I agree. There is no reason to doubt that he wants to stay in LA so if he can't get a deal done and the Kings did offer 4 x 5.5 a couple months ago (I know less term but similar yearly) then he's going for the money. I think the team being contender comes into play when he has several similar offers from some good teams. And he'll get those offers.

The only ways I see a Edmonton or Vancouver signing him is if they really blow him away on total money or somehow he generates little interest among the teams in the top half of the league.

To me if he hits the UFA market the MINIMUM he settles for is the 6 x 6 mil that is thought to be where he is at with the Kings. There will be 6 x 7 mil deals offered by multiple GMs. I hope Benning isn't one of those GMs but know such hope is foolish. If he becomes a canuck, I don't want to see anything more than a $5 mil cap hit.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Maybe the overlooked benefit of signing Lucic would be that Miller (and his 6 million) goes away.

4 years/22 million to Lucic.
But then you factor in a $6million savings (let's say $5 million after signing a backup). So, net, we are paying Lucic $4.25 million/yr.

This post is kind of tongue in cheek. Please remain calm.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Cup winning team, not us. We can neither spelll "cup" nor "winning" correctly.

Next please.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think he has any interest in coming here. He'll re-sign in LA.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I wouldn't bother offering him more than 3 years, $5M per year. He would have to really want to play here to take that because he would easily get more money and twice the contract length from much better teams.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
The Province newspaper should be pumping acquiring Lucic hard.

Imagine all of the newspapers they could sell with the dressing room crap that would be going on all season with a last place (or close to it) Canucks squad with Lucic in the dressing room.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

For me, he makes the team impossible to cheer for. 1 of a grand total of 2 players in the league that would make me tune out until he's gone. (you can easily guess the other one).

I haven't disliked an NHL player as much as Lucic since Mark Messier.

Just a sickening, gutless, cheapshot, crybaby rat.

Pretty much this, although I can't even put that arrogant ***** Messier in the same category, because while he was dirty and entitled, at least he didn't spear guys in the nads. Lucic also seems like one of dumbest guys in all of pro sports. I don't think I could even handle reading or watching coverage of the Canucks with him here. Never mind actually watching, and rooting for, the team. On top of that he's going to get stupid money, won't even be worth the contract without taking into account everything else that's wrong with him.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Will be interesting to see how much he wants to go to a Cup contender. Benning will be driving dump trucks full of cash to his agent day 1 of free agency.

I feel this move is very important to Benning. If Dorsett and Sutter are foundational imagine what he thinks of Lucic.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Will be interesting to see how much he wants to go to a Cup contender. Benning will be driving dump trucks full of cash to his agent day 1 of free agency.

I feel this move is very important to Benning. If Dorsett and Sutter are foundational imagine what he thinks of Lucic.

Wouldn't be shocked if Benning has a museum in his basement dedicated to Lucic.

He was so obsessed with Lucic that he tried to trade for him at the draft last summer. Thankfully LA trumped whatever Benning offered or we might not have Brock Boeser right now.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I've hated to guy since he came into the league but I hate losing even more.

I would do five years- 30 million.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'd sign him to 5 years 30 million...

Glad you're on record as being willing to sign him to a bad contract.

I wouldn't go near those numbers. I'd consider him at $10M/2 years, but that's the max I would go for Lucic, and even that I think might be too much for what he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad