FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Again

Here's something to swallow.
Last 3 season

Lucic--156 GP---26 Goals--30 Assist ---56 TP;s
Toffoli-146GP---57 Goals---48 Assist---105 TP's
Lets not forget age-29-33.

Oh sweet! Didn't know Calgary was getting Toffoli's last 3 seasons in this trade. Definitely worth 2 1sts then

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Oh sweet! Didn't know Calgary was getting Toffoli's last 3 seasons in this trade. Definitely worth 2 1sts then
That's not the problem The Habs would be getting Lucic's last 3 seasons and what little he has left which isn't much.

No Toffoli isn't worth 2 1st That you are correct But don't try to make out like Lucic is better than Toffoli.
He isn't remotely close.

Reactions: Qwijibo

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
That's not the problem The Habs would be getting Lucic's last 3 seasons and what little he has left which isn't much.

No Toffoli isn't worth 2 1st That you are correct But don't try to make out like Lucic is better than Toffoli.
He isn't remotely close.

Okay then we're in more agreement then I thought.

Straight up, you take Toffoli over Lucic every day. It's also more than fair to get a good sweetener for the upgrade.

The equivalent of two 1sts was where this proposal completely through me off with how good of a season Lucic is having

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hello everyone,

Looking at other threads, the premise of is based on the following assumptions:
- Toffoli's stand-alone value is around a 1st + a 2nd/decent prospect.
- Lucic's value is largely negative.
- Also, the Flames likely need something close to 5M extra for Tkachuk+Gaudreau's next contracts.
Brouwer is 1.5M; Pitlick gone is 1M (replaced by ELC); Cap increase 1M; and Offer below 1M.

Flames:
Tyler Toffoli @ 4.25M 3YL

Habs:
Lucic @ 5.25M 2YL
Flames 2022 1st round pick
Conor Zary

Needless to say, Lucic would not play in Mtl due to his history with the team. So he'd either be flipped or bought out.
Not-a-chance.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Toffoli for Lucic and a 1st at the draft is probably more of a realistic trade. But as mentioned Calgary can probably move Lucic easily after his bonus and the habs can probably get good value for Toffoli without taking a contract back.

Reactions: Barnaby

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
Lucic has a nmc. He waived that clause for the expansion draft. Very little chance he would be selected. Did the team a favour. As expected when traded.

He wont be waiving it again.

Guy came to Calgary as a broken hockey player. Lost his passion for the game after being asked to do too much in Edmonton. He admits he was almost ready to retire when he came to Calgary.

Today he is a fan favourite and makes a difference on and off the ice for the Flames. We all know he is overpaid, yet accepted a role with the team and he makes a difference for the team. He is loving life again.

He wont be traded. He will not be asked to waive his nmc. He will not be bought out either. Most Flames fans know this.
No point talking about a trade for Toffoli with Lucic involved.

Waste of time.

Yet absolutely talk about a trade for Toffoli. I see his value as a late first and a third round pick. Maybe a second if there is some bidding.

As for Calgary being involved we would probably have to send Backlund or Monahan in trade for cap purposes. Montreal would probably ask for our first round pick too. I wouldn’t make that trade but that is me. It would help Calgary with the cap a little but I hate giving up first round picks. You should be building your team with first round picks. To be cap compliant.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ledge And Dairy

Lucic has a nmc. He waived that clause for the expansion draft. Very little chance he would be selected. Did the team a favour. As expected when traded.

He wont be waiving it again.

Guy came to Calgary as a broken hockey player. Lost his passion for the game after being asked to do too much in Edmonton. He admits he was almost ready to retire when he came to Calgary.

Today he is a fan favourite and makes a difference on and off the ice for the Flames. We all know he is overpaid, yet accepted a role with the team and he makes a difference for the team. He is loving life again.

He wont be traded. He will not be asked to waive his nmc. He will not be bought out either. Most Flames fans know this.
No point talking about a trade for Toffoli with Lucic involved.

Waste of time.

Yet absolutely talk about a trade for Toffoli. I see his value as a late first and a third round pick. Maybe a second if there is some bidding.

As for Calgary being involved we would probably have to send Backlund or Monahan in trade for cap purposes. Montreal would probably ask for our first round pick too. I wouldn’t make that trade but that is me. It would help Calgary with the cap a little but I hate giving up first round picks. You should be building your team with first round picks. To be cap compliant.
Calgary has over 3M TDL cap space, They only need to move like Pitlick right now to fit Toffoli

Reactions: Nanuuk

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’d consider it a fair trade at best.

Zary/1st to offset the burden of taking on Lucic.

Zary/1st for Toffoli.

Pretty meh. I’m not a fan of Zary. I’d rather not take on Lucic obviously at his cap hit.

Toffoli could easily fetch a 1st+2nd. His contract is a steal. 4.25M for a right shot top 6 winger who scored 28 goals in 56 games last year. He’s on pace for 53 points on this flaming garbage edition of the Habs. He’s not damaged goods like Monahan.

The Habs are also in a position to retain to ease things for the acquiring team. They’ll get a monster return for Toff when the time is right.

Pass.

So you’re saying he’s worth considerably more than Reinhardt and Buchnevich? I think you might get the 1st but that secondary piece will be meh.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I'm aware of Lucic's trends. The reality is he is not worth his AAV and you would tell me the same if I was trying to pump up Drouin

Would the Flames do this? Probably not but my point is the value is not horrible. Lucic being involved in this package is the negative anchor contract. If his cap hit was $2M - $3M, that's a different story yes

Outside neutral fan... the value is horrible.

That’s a kings ransom to save 1 million a year - while hurting you’re long term cap as you lose Zary’s ELC years. All for the upgrade of Lucic who is overpaid but fills a hole to Toffoli. An upgrade to be sure, but not a season altering one.

Meanwhile Lucic real money will be low so he can be dealt for a reasonable cost in the offseason to a team like AZ.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Lucic as a UFA this summer would have a hard time getting $2-$3M AAV. He's a good physical winger but his cap hit is a problem. There is no way to spin this in either direction... he is a negative contract with that cap hit.

I repeat. Flames probably decline but the value in this trade is not horrible if Lucic is involved.

It is horrible. They don’t need to deal him this season. They could move him to a team in the offseason if they’re so inclined to a team where real money matters more than a cap hit. Rangers dealt a year of Marc Staal to the DRW for a 2nd rounder and he was a shell making comparable money.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Lucic has a role on this team and is playing well, so he doesn't cost à first to move rn. 2 first for Toffoli is a joke, 1 season where he start off hot then cooled off significantly doesnt mean hes a 55-65 pt guy
He has been playing at a 59 point pace over his last two full seasons (105 points in 146 games)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It is horrible. They don’t need to deal him this season. They could move him to a team in the offseason if they’re so inclined to a team where real money matters more than a cap hit. Rangers dealt a year of Marc Staal to the DRW for a 2nd rounder and he was a shell making comparable money.

It's not horrible. And I would not even make that trade as a Habs fan. We don't want Lucic but if someone called about Toffoli and wanted to send a contract the other way, I'm open to it but we get our futures.

Flames decline as well. Value is not far off IMO but deal won't work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad