Proposal: Lucic for Tatar

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's not like that at all. I don't see the correlation.

They literally JUST burned a bunch of picks to get this guy so why would they now deal him for possibly the worst value contract in the league? Because he was healthy scratched in a few games? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

What they gave up for him is in the past. MacPhee won't necessarily ask the moon for him just because he got swindled by the Red Wings.

As for worst value contract...you do realize Lucic has tied or outscored Tatar in each of the last 3 years, including his horrid 2017 season?

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
i don't think value is that far off. Lucic is going to be interesting next year. He was beyond bad last year but i still get the feeling he'll bounce back hopefully. VGK would definitely have to take a chance and i'm not sure they would given Lucic's contract.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What they gave up for him is in the past. MacPhee won't necessarily ask the moon for him just because he got swindled by the Red Wings.

As for worst value contract...you do realize Lucic has tied or outscored Tatar in each of the last 3 years, including his horrid 2017 season?

Ok, but Tatar isn't a 30 year old power forward who was a big zero the last 3 months of the season and is signed for 5 more years.

If Chia could pull off a deal like this, that would right a lot of wrongs but I don't think any team is going to let him off the hook that easily.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ok, but Tatar isn't a 30 year old power forward who was a big zero the last 3 months of the season and is signed for 5 more years.

If Chia could pull off a deal like this, that would right a lot of wrongs but I don't think any team is going to let him off the hook that easily.

But what is Tatar then? A soft, offensive winger who can complement a line, but has seen declining production and failed to produce playing on one of the most offensively dynamic teams this past year? People say he can skate - fine. He put up 6 points in 20 games on a team whose system should have been ideally suited for him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Ther term is pretty significant.... your asking vegas to take on 12 mil(potentially 10 if you retain 1 mil a year) for a player that scored 10 goals last year.

Is 10-12 mil worth getting bensen?(and caguila) doubtful.... would take a 1st likely.

Reactions: go4hockey

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
But what is Tatar then? A soft, offensive winger who can complement a line, but has seen declining production and failed to produce playing on one of the most offensively dynamic teams this past year? People say he can skate - fine. He put up 6 points in 20 games on a team whose system should have been ideally suited for him.
only a couple more years of tatar… and I think most people would take his chance of bouncing back better than lucics. You can try but your not going to bring tatar down to lucics level of bad/bad contract.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
that's why i feel like he can maybe bounce back. It was like he just lost all confidence midway through the season and couldn't regain it.

I’ve seen it whispered that maybe he was struggling mentally. His father passed away due to suicide about three years ago and there have been the odd rumble around Edmonton that he might be battling depression. I hope that’s not the case - sucking on the ice would be preferable.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Tatar is going to have a big year next year with more opportunity, Vegas would be really dumb to trade him because of a small stretch.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ther term is pretty significant.... your asking vegas to take on 12 mil(potentially 10 if you retain 1 mil a year) for a player that scored 10 goals last year.

Is 10-12 mil worth getting bensen?(and caguila) doubtful.... would take a 1st likely.

It's 10M in cap hit over 2 years, which is only 5M/year. Vegas has over 26M in cap space. Which will probably be over 30M once the cap goes up.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
only a couple more years of tatar… and I think most people would take his chance of bouncing back better than lucics. You can try but your not going to bring tatar down to lucics level of bad/bad contract.

I don't have to try. The numbers are right there. Lucic has tied or outperformed Tatar in each of the last 3 years, including the 2017 season which tanked both their values.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I’ve seen it whispered that maybe he was struggling mentally. His father passed away due to suicide about three years ago and there have been the odd rumble around Edmonton that he might be battling depression. I hope that’s not the case - sucking on the ice would be preferable.
yea hopefully he gets the help he needs if that is the case. I'm not sure if McLellan really handled him all too well either last year. He was obviously a train wreck on the ice and he just kept throwing him out there in crucial situations on the PP / Extra man etc. I understand he was probably trying to show him he still has faith in him but he'd never really deliver and it might have just been compounding whatever it was he was going through with the fans.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't have to try. The numbers are right there. Lucic has tied or outperformed Tatar in each of the last 3 years, including the 2017 season which tanked both their values.

But again, Tatar is 3 years younger so it's more likely that he bounces back and has 2 years less term on his contract. I just don't know what Vegas gets out of this deal except an older, more expensive player who doesn't fit their system at all.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's 10M in cap hit over 2 years, which is only 5M/year. Vegas has over 26M in cap space. Which will probably be over 30M once the cap goes up.
Yes and that cap space is not free... why is vegas going to do Edmonton a division rival a favor and free them of 5 mil a year?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
But again, Tatar is 3 years younger so it's more likely that he bounces back and has 2 years less term on his contract. I just don't know what Vegas gets out of this deal except an older, more expensive player who doesn't fit their system at all.

Like I said though, Tatar put up 6 points and a -11 in 20 games in a system that was supposed to fit him like a glove (sorry Marcia Clark). So it's not like Tatar set the world on fire either.

I'm not sure why it's more likely that Tatar bounces back when both players have obviously been declining. Lucic brings more leadership and physicality than Tatar. Vegas could also get more young prospects out of this - which they do need IMO, assuming this year isn't the norm as far as their performance goes.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes and that cap space is not free... why is vegas going to do Edmonton a division rival a favor and free them of 5 mil a year?

Contrary to popular belief, Vegas isn't a perennial veteran-laden contender just yet. They still need picks and prospects. And Edmonton would be more than willing to part with some of those picks/prospects in a deal like this.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Lucic brings more intangibles to the table and they score at a very similar rate and they make a fairly comparable amount of salary, the only real stumbling block here is that Lucic's contract is 2 years longer.

I do think there is a general level of stubbornness with NHL GM's to want to stick with the deals they've made and players they've traded for to prove they made the right call, but Tatar has been bad in Vegas. From what I can see he was healthy scratched 12 times since joining Vegas and has played in 27 games (didn't count the first game after the trade as a healthy scratch) and his usage in the playoffs has been that of a 3rd/4th line forward as far as ice-time goes.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Guessing they would rather spend that money on players that will help their team instead of helping the Oilers out from under a god awful contract. o_O

It's not really a huge exchange. Tatar and Lucic are roughly the same contract EXCEPT for term, which Vegas could help the Oilers out with in exchange for futures - which, contrary to popular belief, is still an important type of asset for Vegas.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
A team about skating and effort would not want Lucic. You keep trying to defend it, but it os a horrible offer that only helps the Oiler. And term very much matters.

Reactions: Alex Martinez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A team about skating and effort would not want Lucic. You keep trying to defend it, but it os a horrible offer that only helps the Oiler. And term very much matters.

I'm not sure they would want Tatar, either, though.

This gives both players a fresh start of sorts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad