Proposal: Lucic for Tatar

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really don't see any incentive for Vegas to do this. They're taking an older player with more term at a higher AAV for seemingly no good reason. Tatar has struggled with the Knights, but they're going to need him as a Perron replacement for next season.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Tatar is much more likely to bounce back than Lucic. Tatar has the better contract too. No way Vegas does this without a big add from Oilers.

Reactions: go4hockey

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The idea that Lucic may rebound in the future is a hilarious fantasy.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018

Just like Klefbom, Sekera, Talbot, JP isn't going to rebound/progress either right, because they are wearing an Oilers jersey?

Lucic had 24 points in 34 games up until christmas break, and then 10 points in 48 games. For whatever reason he slumped it's hardly because of ability, atleast the first 3 months of the season suggests that. Whatever is Lucic problem, it's primarily mental.

It's not an inconceivable nor hilarious notion. The real problem lies within expectations. People expect him to do more then 45-50 points because he's getting paid 6M. The notion that he'll ever do that is indeed hilarious.

Reactions: TFHockey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I really don't see any incentive for Vegas to do this. They're taking an older player with more term at a higher AAV for seemingly no good reason. Tatar has struggled with the Knights, but they're going to need him as a Perron replacement for next season.

Leadership, Cup ring, gritensity.

Cmon, things have gone too well for Vegas so far.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

You seem to take the idea that Oiler fans think their players could possibly rebound after the worst season of their career quite personally.

Lucic won’t rebound. Talbot won’t rebound. Klefbom won’t rebound. Sekera won’t rebound.

But even mention that the Leafs are losing 50 goals from their lineup and got zero assets to
show for it and might slide a bit and you lose your mind.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Just like Klefbom, Sekera, Talbot, JP isn't going to rebound/progress either right, because they are wearing an Oilers jersey?

Lucic had 24 points in 34 games up until christmas break, and then 10 points in 48 games. For whatever reason he slumped it's hardly because of ability, atleast the first 3 months of the season suggests that. Whatever is Lucic problem, it's primarily mental.

It's not an inconceivable nor hilarious notion. The real problem lies within expectations. People expect him to do more then 45-50 points because he's getting paid 6M. The notion that he'll ever do that is indeed hilarious.

You'll notice I never mentioned those other players. Lucic's age and playstyle and lack of speed and agility make him a candidate that will very likely turn into a replacement level player as soon as next season.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
You seem to take the idea that Oiler fans don’t think their players could possibly rebound after the worst season of their career quite personally.

Lucic won’t rebound. Talbot won’t rebound. Klefbom won’t rebound. Sekera won’t rebound.

But even mention that the Leafs are losing 50 goals from their lineup and might slide a bit and you lose your mind.

Just Lucic.

On the leafs, don't want to divert, but it is absolutely a worry. Thing is that they have lots of cap space and prospects so they have flexibility to make moves.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You seem to take the idea that Oiler fans don’t think their players could possibly rebound after the worst season of their career quite personally.

But even mention that the Leafs are losing 50 goals from their lineup and might slide a bit and you lose your mind.

Talbot & Klefbom very much rebound.

Sekera likely rebounds.

Lucic I would be very concerned about. I stated many time who ever signs him will regret it, players like him often don’t have long careers and skating was never his strength. Now with the nhl going faster and faster this hurts him double so. I heard about him trying to trim down, but that won’t solve his skating problem. Try to dumb him any way you can ASAP.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Sekera likely rebounds.

Lucic I would be very concerned about. I stated many time who ever signs him will regret it, players like him often don’t have long careers and skating was never his strength. Now with the nhl going faster and faster this hurts him double so. I heard about him trying to trim down, but that won’t solve his skating problem. Try to dumb him any way you can ASAP.

Thing is, I think Lucic’s 50 point days are over, but I also find it strongly unlikely that he’s the 1 goal since Christmas monstrosity that we saw last year.

More and more it’s looking like he was dealing with some fairly heavy duty off ice issues, at least that’s the buzz in Edmonton.

Reactions: TFHockey

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Thing is, I think Lucic’s 50 point days are over, but I also find it strongly unlikely that he’s the 1 goal since Christmas monstrosity that we saw last year.

More and more it’s looking like he was dealing with some fairly heavy duty off ice issues, at least that’s the buzz in Edmonton.

I don’t disagree with you in the least. But at his cap hit having a 30 point? 35 point? 40 point? He certainly is a cap dump at those low numbers

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
So a disciplined, fast, young team would want Lucic???

Lucic

The guy from the Oilers......THAT Lucic??

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Zero chance at this sort of deal. Plus GMGM isn't going to change his mind on Tatar because of a 3 month stretch that didn't work. You don't make that kind of a deal if you don't believe Tatar is a fit for the long term. Both Neal and Perron should be gone and he'll have a full offseason and training camp to prepare.

The only way I could see GMGM moving him is if he's getting a good return.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Tatar was getting healthy scratched because he literally got traded to a team that had crazy magical chemistry when he was on a team scuffling all year. It's kind of like the 13-14, where the Wings played their way into the playoffs without their top 3 Cs (Datsyuk, Z, and Helm all down with injuries). The first couple games where Datsyuk, the best player on that roster, came back the Wings looked awful. Give Tatar an offseason to work with guys and he will drastically improve. The Knights were working with a unique brew and they didn't want to upset the apple cart this year.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Sekera likely rebounds.

The Oilers could try scoring on the PP next year, which might give Lucic a bump in terms of stat line... though one might argue that he's a big part of the PP's problem to begin with.

Not expecting much of a rebound in terms of general on-ice play, though. Guy sucks. Killed every play he was a part of for like 4 months.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
On one hand, you could trade Lucic now and maybe get minor value for him given that it could be seen as just a down year. On the other hand you could hold on to him to see if he rebounds and if he doesn't then he instantly becomes an anchor contract that will be very very tough to move without giving up a valuable piece.

Its a very odd situation. Up until Christmas (36 games played) he looked honestly the best he ever had as an Oiler and was on pace for a 59 point season nearly half way through the year. I don't know what on earth happened to him, but he was a completely different player after the Christmas break. Constantly forcing plays and mishandling pucks (even for Lucic) and just straight up missing wide open nets or ringing them off the post. To me that timing seems incredibly odd to attribute to him aging or passing his prime, especially after having such a good start to the season where he looked quite good.

I'd personally like to see him have the opportunity to rebound because the way his season played out is just not overly consistent with physical decline. I also wouldn't be mad if they ended up being able to trade him, but I just really doubt he's actually as bad as last season would suggest.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Tatar was getting healthy scratched because he literally got traded to a team that had crazy magical chemistry when he was on a team scuffling all year. It's kind of like the 13-14, where the Wings played their way into the playoffs without their top 3 Cs (Datsyuk, Z, and Helm all down with injuries). The first couple games where Datsyuk, the best player on that roster, came back the Wings looked awful. Give Tatar an offseason to work with guys and he will drastically improve. The Knights were working with a unique brew and they didn't want to upset the apple cart this year.
Tatar is a decent player, but I think its far more likely that his 56 point career year was an outlier and he's actually more of a 20 goal 40-45 point player. (And no I'm not saying Vegas should trade him for Lucic).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad