Proposal: Lucic for Phaneuf

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Totally neutral fan here. But I think the trade might be a little more even if Lucic agreed (handshake, wink wink) to waive his NMC for expansion. The new Seattle team could use his experience and higher salary to reach the cap floor, and Milan would almost be playing at home (BC boy, after all). I think the Oil would still have to throw something relatively significant to LA to make it happen (maybe a protected 2020 1st and some cap retention). This might alleviate the 2 year contract difference issue.

It really nonsense that Seattle would take on a bad contract to reach the cap floor. They could just sign a UFA and get a really hockey player. Teams taking on LTIRs...which don't cost any money to maybe reach the floor.
Teams won't need his experience, they will have plenty of players with good NHL experience.

Reactions: go4hockey

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
why would lucic not waive his nmc with whatever team he is with at at the time of expansion? he will need an agreement with his team team that they will not incentivize seattle to take him, but other than that there is no chance he gets taken so he does not need it and he can do his team a solid at no risk.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It's not that hard to jettison Lucic, just retain half of his salary and deep six a bottom six player to cover it. Lucic has value at 3m and a team will pick him up for that, that's not a bad basis for a trade.

Lucia has one goal in 41 games. His contract would still be awful at 3M.

Reactions: Menzinger

not Bonsignore

Apr 4, 2015
Ok... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure you will emphatically do so. If a player has a no trade clause or no movement clause and voluntarily waives it and accepts a trade. I believe the clause then to the new team is voided. Often the receiving team chooses to honor it. That's my understanding but I've been wrong before. So if Lucic waives to LA, then if I am correct he is not protected by clause for expansion draft.

Edit...found this on cap friendly.
The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waiversThis requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified

Last edited:

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
why would lucic not waive his nmc with whatever team he is with at at the time of expansion? he will need an agreement with his team team that they will not incentivize seattle to take him, but other than that there is no chance he gets taken so he does not need it and he can do his team a solid at no risk.

Great Edmonton can hope he will do that and not LA.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad