Proposal: Lucic for Phaneuf

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I may be in the minority here, but I would be open to a deal around Lucic and Phaneuf. Lucic played really well for the Kings. I don't seem him being a 25-30 goal scorer, but he might still have chemistry with Kopitar and score 15 goals. Edmonton would have to add their 1st rounder in any trade. I wouldn't do a 1 for 1 deal.
If their salaries and years left matched sure. Phaneuf has been much better as of late.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
i'd rather have Bobby Orr if we had a 3rd choice and all three were in their 20s and active
on the otherhand the bonus of having Phaneuf is his wife is mega hot actress Elisha Cuthbert & she's brought Mila Kunis to Kings games too. Its like how the Houston Astros have the Justin Verlander + Kate Upton.

Reactions: KingPuckChoo

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
on the otherhand the bonus of having Phaneuf is his wife is mega hot actress Elisha Cuthbert & she's brought Mila Kunis to Kings games too. Its like how the Houston Astros have the Justin Verlander + Kate Upton.

i no longer understand what the f*** you're talking about

Reactions: kingsofLA

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Unless I'm mistaken Phaneuf will need to be protected or bought out for the expansion draft assuming he refuses to waive it again.

Lucic will as well but it's easier to deal with having to protect a forward than a d.

So if you factor in the likely buyout they'll end up being liabilities to their teams for the same number of years assuming Lucic isn't bought out and since his deal is buyout proof there's no reason to.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Unless I'm mistaken Phaneuf will need to be protected or bought out for the expansion draft assuming he refuses to waive it again.

Lucic will as well but it's easier to deal with having to protect a forward than a d.

So if you factor in the likely buyout they'll end up being liabilities to their teams for the same number of years assuming Lucic isn't bought out and since his deal is buyout proof there's no reason to.

Dion's does not have a full NMC so will not require protection. Lucic will

Reactions: go4hockey

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Dion's does not have a full NMC so will not require protection. Lucic will

Ottawa was forced to protect him and I don't see it listed anywhere that his status has changed since then.

Having a modified no trade clause doesn't mean you lose your no move protection.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Ottawa was forced to protect him and I don't see it listed anywhere that his status has changed since then.

Having a modified no trade clause doesn't mean you lose your no move protection.

he wasn't listed on TSN's need to protect list nor is he listed on cap geek as a guy who requires protection.

Just realized that maybe because he contract expires the year of the expansion

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
To be fair to Lucic, it's not like he's the most expensive under-productive forward.
b5cf05d9-6cf0-4fd6-8bfc-c5e0aafe3077.png

Last edited:

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
He is a defenseman. He is not required to score. Lucic has 1 goal in 42 games this season. Now that is god awful.

I'm not defending Lucic either, far from it. I don't have a horse in this race being a Habs fan but come on... Phaneuf is known to be AT LEAST a 20 pts D-man. You can't go back old school with the '' he's a defenseman, he's not required to score''... D-men are allowed to go past their blue line. It is god awful (Lucic's too btw).

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Weird thread. Almost every team has got a Phaneuf, Alzner, Lucic contrat that they want to get rid of. At least with Dion he is gone in 2 years and does not need protection in the expansion draft. He won't be on the team to be protected. And for that reason alone, I rather have him than Lucic.

Reactions: go4hockey and YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm not defending Lucic either, far from it. I don't have a horse in this race being a Habs fan but come on... Phaneuf is known to be AT LEAST a 20 pts D-man. You can't go back old school with the '' he's a defenseman, he's not required to score''... D-men are allowed to go past their blue line. It is god awful (Lucic's too btw).

issue is if Dion goes across center ice he gets caught out of position as he is too slow to get back

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Phaneuf will probably be bought out at the end of this year...you can have him then.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Totally neutral fan here. But I think the trade might be a little more even if Lucic agreed (handshake, wink wink) to waive his NMC for expansion. The new Seattle team could use his experience and higher salary to reach the cap floor, and Milan would almost be playing at home (BC boy, after all). I think the Oil would still have to throw something relatively significant to LA to make it happen (maybe a protected 2020 1st and some cap retention). This might alleviate the 2 year contract difference issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00