Value of: Lucic Cap Dump

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Calgary has 1.2 Mil cap space right now. Unsure if we get even more with IR Monahan or Tanev for the first month or so of the season. We could even buy out Monahan at 2/3. Whatever is done, I believe we accrue cap space till the TDL anyways. We aren't cap strapped and needing to dump a contract like other teams who are literally non compliant if we start the season now.

We don't need to move cap unless were making a specific bigger splash. OP's suggestion makes completely no sense without a specific move in mind.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Looch isn't going anywhere as a cap dump. He may retire or he may be traded in a normal hockey trade.

My bet is he finishes he contract here as he loves the city and area.

However, I would love to see him retire and take up a coaching spot with the new Calgary Wranglers. He is articulate, a leader, and has a passion for the game. Transitioning to a coaching gig might just be in his future.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Calgary needs to be as good as possible this year with potential of more star UFAS walking. Ship out Lucic with Valimaki and a third or second if need be to try and get one more impact player.

I see fits with him going to either ANA or ARZ.

I would assume a 7th or future considerations coming back?
Even if its only one year, the cost will be a 2nd + anothet asset.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Meh.
We could use the cap, but we won't be using any assets to move him. Next to nothing in real dollars left now; would love to see him back in Boston for a victory lap, but I don't think B's have the cap to make anything work without Calgary taking bad money back and losing the reason we're trading the guy.

2nd + anothet asset.

lol.
For 1M in real dollars. Doubt it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not anymore. No second buyout window is opened for Calgary since nobody went to an arbitration hearing.

Or (equally possible) I'm 2 or 3 CBAs behind and totally wrong.

I believe Monahan is still injured too, so he wouldn't be able to be bought out.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Meh.
We could use the cap, but we won't be using any assets to move him. Next to nothing in real dollars left now; would love to see him back in Boston for a victory lap, but I don't think B's have the cap to make anything work without Calgary taking bad money back and losing the reason we're trading the guy.

lol.
For 1M in real dollars. Doubt it.
Ok.
A 2nd may be enough.
Or a A- or a B+ prospect + a 3rd rounder.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
The guy has more value right now than most people think. Calgary wouldn't have to send out a second pick for him to be taken. His July 1 bonus of $3mm is paid. His salary for the season is $1mm. Yes, he has a large cap hit but $1mm for Lucic is a great deal. The guy is still a serviceable player. I don't see why Calgary trades him though. They don't need the cap space.

Reactions: Nanuuk

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not anymore. No second buyout window is opened for Calgary since nobody went to an arbitration hearing.

Or (equally possible) I'm 2 or 3 CBAs behind and totally wrong.

Calgary will have a 2nd window, it doesn't require an actual arbitration hearing, simply filing for arbitration is enough.

Monahan is reportedly still not cleared as fit to play however, which would make him ineligible for buyout.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
This is Luicic's contract situation.

Term: Final year of his deal - UFA next season
AAV: 5.25 million (Oilers retain 12.5% of the 6 million total)
Salary: Lucic receives 1 million this season - 875K from his current team, 125K from the Oilers.
Clauses: NMC - submits a list of 10 teams he can be traded to

3 'tiers' of teams that would be interested in Lucic:

Contending teams: If they want to add toughness, of course salary is going to come back. Makes a 'dump' impossible, but there may be a good hockey-trade fit for both teams.
Rebuilding teams: They could afford the cap hit, but Lucic has an NMC and would most likely not want to be part of a rebuild at his age.
Middle of the pack - teams getting out of a rebuild with cap room - these are the only teams who may not care about the actual cap hit as much as real dollars, and who Lucic may agree to be a part of.

Definitely not the contract that people are making it out to be. Lucic is overpaid, but he is very much still an effective NHL'er. The Flames will only move him if they absolutely need to make room this season. It doesn't appear that this is the case, however, as I think for the most part, they are essentially done. There may be some small moves now either on the UFA front, or (more likely) through trades to balance out the roster, but I do not think that the Flames are going to be making moves resulting in any substantial influx of salary commitments.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad