Luca "Top Two Pizzaman" Sbisa - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
See, here is where I disagree.

While there is (obviously) plenty of 'in your face stupid', the biggest problem with Sbisa isn't the 'Pizzas' or bad positional decisions, it's the nonstop small turnovers in the corners/against the boards under forechecking pressure. Simply cannot make a good decision with the puck with an opposing player near him, and usually turns possession over aimlessly - either throwing it into a group of players and losing it, or chipping it off the glass and conceding possession. And these aren't flashy or obvious, but they happen over and over and over again. Same with the bad outlet passes that bounce behind someone and kill a rush or go for icing.

His puck skills and poise under pressure are probably the worst of any defender in the NHL.

Exactly this, he gives the puck to no one/the other team in so many different ways.

Watch when he's going for the puck behind the net and pressures on he'll blindly ring it to no one almost every time. It's the old saying he hears foot steps

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If anything, Luca Sbisa is a shining example of the dangers of relying solely on the eye test.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I disagree.

He fails the eye test miserably and should in no way shape or form be held up as some type of player who looks good on the ice but has some kind of hidden poison that he inserts in the lineup that only can be seen under a blue light with some corsi spreadsheet.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I disagree.

He fails the eye test miserably and should in no way shape or form be held up as some type of player who looks good on the ice but has some kind of hidden poison that he inserts in the lineup that only can be seen under a blue light with some corsi spreadsheet.

Depends who you talk to. Some people are convinced he'll still be a decent D-man and has only to unlock his hidden potential.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
If a box labelled 'NHL defenceman' was shipped to Canucks HQ and haphazardly assembled by a team of monkeys and Kevin Lowe-era Edmonton Oilers hockey ops staff, Luca Sbisa would be the result.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I disagree.

Er ya, Sbisa looks awful haha. I will give him credit for playing alright last night, not good per se but better. Don't really expect that to continue.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Er ya, Sbisa looks awful haha.

He doesn't always look awful though. He's different than your typical #6 defenseman in that he can be a very assertive, mobile player that can cover a ton of ice, punish the opposition physically, skate the puck out like a high level talent and even hold the offensive blue line well. When he's on, he 'looks' quite good.

The problem is, the errors he makes are in very dangerous areas on the ice, which result in shots from good shooting areas. He often plays well 80% of the time, but the 20% is 'bad Bieksa' like - where he can singlehandedly cost you games by giving the opposition odd man rushes or tap in goals.

If he can clean up the last 20%, he will be a useful #4 defenseman. But based on how his career has gone thus far, that's certainly not a bet you should be looking to make.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
He doesn't always look awful though. He's different than your typical #6 defenseman in that he can be a very assertive, mobile player that can cover a ton of ice, punish the opposition physically, skate the puck out like a high level talent and even hold the offensive blue line well. When he's on, he 'looks' quite good.

The problem is, the errors he makes are in very dangerous areas on the ice, which result in shots from good shooting areas. He often plays well 80% of the time, but the 20% is 'bad Bieksa' like - where he can singlehandedly cost you games by giving the opposition odd man rushes or tap in goals.

If he can clean up the last 20%, he will be a useful #4 defenseman. But based on how his career has gone thus far, that's certainly not a bet you should be looking to make.

I guess it depends what you look at... Sbisa looks unbelievably awkward with the puck most of the time to me, and the rest of the time he's consistently behind the play and subsequently out of position.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I take rest at the thought that some GM also signed Cam Barker years ago

otherwise what the **** is with our luck

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I take rest at the thought that some GM also signed Cam Barker years ago

otherwise what the **** is with our luck

Are you actually trying to prove a point with some waiver wire fodder we were trying to fill the 7th or 8th slot with?

Barker was a flier. A former first round pick that you give a shot to then realize he's **** and ship him off. When a GM makes a mistake you hope it's not at the expense of a multi year deal that's going to suck the cap space away from a decent signing. If idiot Benning had any semblance of patience or foresight we'd have been able to sign a Cody Franson instead of blowing our wad on some chump who's still young despite being a 7 year vet who's shown no sign of improvement and who Benning decided it was prudent to try to sign early to "beat" free agency.

Benning is so stubborn and so bullheaded that he constructs some magic roster on his magic board and he bleeds assets to try to fit his narrative. If it works out, all of a sudden he's a genius. If it doesn't then he's got no contingency plan to ensure we're re not bottom dwellers for 15 years.

And it's not like he's selling the farm for smart decisions. He's doing it for his own personal ideas on what makes a good hockey team. All evidence shows he's a bumbling idiot and I hope to god it doesn't take more than a year for this idiot to be fired.

Rant over.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
You know.. I completely forgot the fact that we picked up Barker at one point. But it was for free and not for the main lineup

I was thinking back to when some chump GM signed him to some 4M contract (didn't check), which resembles this Sbisa fiasco. If not for Barker I would be drawing a blank and Jim Bo is one of a kind

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You know.. I completely forgot the fact that we picked up Barker at one point. But it was for free and not for the main lineup

I was thinking back to when some chump GM signed him to some 4M contract (didn't check), which resembles this Sbisa fiasco. If not for Barker I would be drawing a blank and Jim Bo is one of a kind

3x3m and it ended in a buyout.

No issue with Barker as a $700K ahl call up. About right what he was.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
If a box labelled 'NHL defenceman' was shipped to Canucks HQ and haphazardly assembled by a team of monkeys and Kevin Lowe-era Edmonton Oilers hockey ops staff, Luca Sbisa would be the result.
And if Benning had the choice between the boat and said "mystery box" hed choose the box each and every time.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area

Alright. My rant was under the pretence that you were defending Benning by bringing up Gillis' acquisition of barker. My bad.

Nevertheless the negatives of Benning still stand. Looks like barker was 23 when signing that deal and was arbitrated into unrestricted free agency whereas sbisa is/was 25 and was on his way to unrestricted free agency...

Perhaps there's not much of a difference, so I'll concede that point. Apologies if I came across to harshly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad