Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2014
He's still playing 'real good'.

Pizza is still warm, grab a slice.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He is improving quite a bit. His IQ is still average, but he always had the tools.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm very impressed that he's stepped up in the absence of like... All our defensemen. I think the confidence is helping his game markedly, he's making more simple decisions when in the past he would overcomplicate things in the same situations. Hopefully this is an indication of him taking the next step, if he can play like this most nights I have zero issues with re-signing him.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I'm very impressed that he's stepped up in the absence of like... All our defensemen. I think the confidence is helping his game markedly, he's making more simple decisions when in the past he would overcomplicate things in the same situations. Hopefully this is an indication of him taking the next step, if he can play like this most nights I have zero issues with re-signing him.

Sounds like this was the issue in Anaheim too. Played worse and worse as he got pushed down the lineup.

arsmaster*

Liked him a lot more lately. Does a good job deferring to his partner to pass the puck out (he's still very weak at that) and he seems to have leeway to just chip it out when he overhandled it a lot early on in the season.

Should have played more last night. Stanton too.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Sbisa has been tolerable lately, but I still don't think he's worth his QO. He has to continue this play for the remainder of the season and also be solid/step it up in the play-offs to be worth it.

I have absolutely no problem with re-signing a player who can consistently provide what Sbisa has been lately, but let's not forget that he spent the first half of the season being the worst -player- on this team.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Lately Pizza with the Sedin line on the ice have been really good, seems they've played enough games together now to read off each other, chemistry has been built.

Sounds crazy saying it but I wouldn't mind him being on the pp with the twins, heck I'd trust him enough to be the d man out there in the last minute of a game.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Sounds like this was the issue in Anaheim too. Played worse and worse as he got pushed down the lineup.

He got shoved to the right side which hardly helped.

He's been a surprise for me for how well he's played. Not enough though to give him a 'qualifying offer' but wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him at a much cheaper price. Would prefer to see what kind of interest he'd attract at the trading deadline.

I'll give credit for Willie for his play this season.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Is there any way around his QO? Arbitration, but that's not enough. I'm okay with 2-2.5 for Sbisa.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I didn't see last night's game against the Devils. All I have to go on are what I heard in the portions I heard on radio (not that much) and what I read.

Looking at stats of last night's game from naturalstattrick.com, I see that last night Sbisa's CF%Rel was -38.43. His FF%Rel was -41.67. He was even for +/-, with no points, 1 hit, 1 blocked shot and 1 minor penalty.

He played a little over 10 minutes with Clendening, whose CF%Rel was quite good at +25.68 and FF%Rel was 23.61. The other defence partner Sbisa spent quite a bit of time with was Biega at about 6 minutes, Biega's possession stats being worst among Canucks' defencemen on the night (CF%Rel -43.82; FF%Rel -41.37.

The normal inference to draw from those stats is that Sbisa had a poor game with he and Biega having a particularly tough time together in their 6 minutes with a CF% of 10.00.

What did people watching see? Was there some reasonable explanation for those stats? I've never thought single game possession stats meant much of anything for predicting future play, but usually consider they do a not too horrible job of saying what has happened in the individual game, though there are exceptions to that as well.

Thanks.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Another good game outside of that terrible 5 second sequence :laugh:

Even then, the second attempt was a cluster**** between him and Clendening or whoever was his partner at the time.

Amazing really, part III for Luca Sbisa. Clearly he was the biggest piece in the Kesler deal.

Bo Jangles

Dec 25, 2014
White Rock, B.C.
Even then, the second attempt was a cluster**** between him and Clendening or whoever was his partner at the time.

Amazing really, part III for Luca Sbisa. Clearly he was the biggest piece in the Kesler deal.

I sense sarcasm, but in all honesty, I think the 1st which we flipped to Mccann is going to be the biggest part of the deal; although, that may be counting the chickens before they hatch, Jared's putting up fantastic numbers in his +1 season.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Trying hard to bite my tongue on this one.
Clearly management saw something here and through this stretch you can see why a few teams have taken a chance on him. He's been good for a while now. If he can keep up this play for the rest of the year we should look at re-signing him.

You can now see why management wanted him as part of the Kesler deal.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Has had a couple good games recently (the NYR one was very good) and also some poor ones where he's been destroyed in terms of Corsi but not scored on. Has been considerably better on balance but not nearly as good over the last 5-7 games as some are claiming.

But again, had a stretch like this in November and backed it up with 2 months of complete and utter suck. Still not a player I trust to dress in a playoff game, still not a player I want anywhere near this team next year.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
If Sbisa were to only play the LS and change his curve I think he'd be a reasonably good hockey player.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
If Sbisa were to only play the LS and change his curve I think he'd be a reasonably good hockey player.

Yeah I'm sure his curve is causing him leave his man open and being poor positionally.

member 202355

Good to see him step up in the absence of our top 4 regulars.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
Sometimes when I watch him play, I wonder to myself, "Can we make this guy play wing?" He can skate, shoot, and hit. He just makes poor decisions in the d-zone which would be mitigated significantly by playing on the wing.

Obviously it's not an option with our D being so thin right now but it's just something I've thought about.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
This guy needs a personal video coach to show him his Sbisa moments over and over until they no longer exist, preferably in Clockwork Orange style. Overall his play has been much better lately but his frequent Sbisa brain farts are going to cost us at some point unless he sorts it out. I've never seen a NHL defenseman hold the puck so long in front of his net with that deer in the headlights look. You get yelled at for doing that in beer league.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Has had a couple good games recently (the NYR one was very good) and also some poor ones where he's been destroyed in terms of Corsi but not scored on. Has been considerably better on balance but not nearly as good over the last 5-7 games as some are claiming.

But again, had a stretch like this in November and backed it up with 2 months of complete and utter suck. Still not a player I trust to dress in a playoff game, still not a player I want anywhere near this team next year.

if he was like, as good every game as he was the rangers game, i'd quality him. everything else should just be looked as maybe getting a greater return on a deadline deal

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Hadn't had a good stretch higher than 5 games all season, good ten game stretch now though

hopefully it lasts ten or so more games.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I sense sarcasm, but in all honesty, I think the 1st which we flipped to Mccann is going to be the biggest part of the deal; although, that may be counting the chickens before they hatch, Jared's putting up fantastic numbers in his +1 season.

The 1st is the biggest piece no matter who we selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad