Injury Report: Lubomir Visnovsky: Concussion ***Not Cleared By Isles for Olympics***

Janson

fireSNOW
Aug 5, 2007
Islander Country
I understand both sides of the argument and am almost to the point of not even caring if he goes. If we are not going to add a goalie and a defenseman this summer, I expect Vis to be gone by next years deadline anyway.

I'm easily at that point a month ago after the Florida loss. Even when RD went down Garth brought in Al Montoya. During that 10-11 game losing streak you have to make a move. Vis not going to Sochi... if I was him I would check out right now. We need Vis way more than he needs us. Why doesn't Garth stop JT from going. He is 1000000x more important to this franchise, yes or no? It sends the wrong message to the player.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Don't post angry. ;)

sage advise, and one that i am trying to emulate with only moderate success... usually i type my angry posts and erase them before hitting enter... get it out of my system that way... however, sometimes in a moment of blind rage and temporary insanity(it's my defense and I am sticking by it), I just hit the enter button and walk away... ;)

... with all that us islander fans have been through, a therapist could make a killing if he marketed in this board..

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
sage advise, and one that i am trying to emulate with only moderate success... usually i type my angry posts and erase them before hitting enter... get it out of my system that way... however, sometimes in a moment of blind rage and temporary insanity(it's my defense and I am sticking by it), I just hit the enter button and walk away... ;)

... with all that us islander fans have been through, a therapist could make a killing if he marketed in this board..

There is/was a poster on Islandermania (not sure if he posted here), Gradin. I believe he is a shrink. And he was one of the biggest whackjobs on the board! :)

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Ok, I get that... but then let him make that decision, not Snow.

Maybe Snow is doing him a favor and letting Lubo point blame at the Islanders as a scapegoat to save face with his countrymen. If that's the case great, and kudos to Garth.

If not, it looks like a boss acting like someone who should never be in the position to be anybody elses manager.

I think the latter is more likely; but to each his own.

Finally a post that I agree with. (not many I agree with in general from your point of view)
I posted this before, as an option.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I'd let Visnovsky go. It will be good for his game, that level of competition, and help get him in shape for the playoff run (with the team he's traded to)

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I'm easily at that point a month ago after the Florida loss. Even when RD went down Garth brought in Al Montoya. During that 10-11 game losing streak you have to make a move. Vis not going to Sochi... if I was him I would check out right now. We need Vis way more than he needs us. Why doesn't Garth stop JT from going. He is 1000000x more important to this franchise, yes or no? It sends the wrong message to the player.

Agree completely.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
I'd let Visnovsky go. It will be good for his game, that level of competition, and help get him in shape for the playoff run (with the team he's traded to)

Why would he be traded when the Islanders still have him under contract for another year? His stock can't be terribly high anyway because of his concussion problems. I don't see this team giving up a serviceable NHL defenseman for next season when there's a shortage of them here as it is.

Plus if I read correctly on capgeek he has a no-trade clause.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Excuse the ignorance as I haven't really been following this story... If Garth Snow is indeed preventing Vis from going to the Olympics how is this going to help as land any free agents? It just makes us look bad.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Excuse the ignorance as I haven't really been following this story... If Garth Snow is indeed preventing Vis from going to the Olympics how is this going to help as land any free agents? It just makes us look bad.

Garth isnt just randomly deciding to not let Vis play in the silly Olympic tournament. Vis is an older player who we're paying a decent amount of $ to, and who's coming off a pretty big concussion. Him playing in Sochi so soon after coming back is a risk the team isnt willing to take.

It's not like we're not letting any of our players go to the Olympics. Tavares, Vanek, and Grabner are playing in the tournament. Vis is just a special circumstance. I dont see how this impacts future free agents at all?

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
I don't think I saw this really addressed yet, but if the NHL and NHLPA agreed to go to the Olympics, what power do the Islanders have in stopping him from going?

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think I saw this really addressed yet, but if the NHL and NHLPA agreed to go to the Olympics, what power do the Islanders have in stopping him from going?

They don't seem to have any power. The fact that most people realize this probably explains why our Slovakian friends aren't coming round to insult the organization.

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
They don't seem to have any power. The fact that most people realize this probably explains why our Slovakian friends aren't coming round to insult the organization.
From what I understamd when the agreement was reached to go to Sochi, it doesn't matter what Garth tells him, he can go if he wants. It seems more to me like he knows he is out of shape.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Garth isnt just randomly deciding to not let Vis play in the silly Olympic tournament. Vis is an older player who we're paying a decent amount of $ to, and who's coming off a pretty big concussion. Him playing in Sochi so soon after coming back is a risk the team isnt willing to take.

It's not like we're not letting any of our players go to the Olympics. Tavares, Vanek, and Grabner are playing in the tournament. Vis is just a special circumstance. I dont see how this impacts future free agents at all?

Care to explain why it is "silly?"

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Part of me wonders if there isn't more going on behind the scenes.

With Gaborik hurt, Slovakia doesn't really stand a chance. I know representing your country and all that, but he's done that 4 times already (98, 02, 06, 10). Add that to the security concerns and overall terrible living conditions we've seen through social media, and maybe Visnovsky would rather have a little midseason vacation than get blown out by Canada and sleep in an uncomfortable bed.

But Visnovsky could never officially come out and say he doesn't want to represent his country, people would hold it against him for his entire life. So who becomes the bad guy? Garth Snow. So Visnovsky gets to stay in the US, spend time with his family, and give the old "I'd go if I could but my parents won't let me" excuse.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
Snow is really screwing Team Slovakia over. With Vis not being healthy enough to play in the Olympics but healthy enough to play in NHL, Slovakia can't even add a replacement for him. You can replace a player only if he's on the IR list, which Vis is not, so Slovakia will now have a hole in the roster.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
Part of me wonders if there isn't more going on behind the scenes.

With Gaborik hurt, Slovakia doesn't really stand a chance. I know representing your country and all that, but he's done that 4 times already (98, 02, 06, 10). Add that to the security concerns and overall terrible living conditions we've seen through social media, and maybe Visnovsky would rather have a little midseason vacation than get blown out by Canada and sleep in an uncomfortable bed.

But Visnovsky could never officially come out and say he doesn't want to represent his country, people would hold it against him for his entire life. So who becomes the bad guy? Garth Snow. So Visnovsky gets to stay in the US, spend time with his family, and give the old "I'd go if I could but my parents won't let me" excuse.

Don't be silly, he wanted to retire from NT after this tournament, in fact, he only came out of retirement only because of the Olympics. Midseason vacation? You really fail to realize what the Olympics mean for Europeans, absolutely NOONE would refuse to participate if he had the opportunity. And really, Vis? You should be the ones to know best how he feels about playing for/in Slovakia, given the whole Slovan Bratislava situation last year...

And the Gaborik reasoning is even more silly. So with half-injured, not-playing-for-months Gaborik Slovakia stands a chance but not without him?

If Vis is not healthy, then put him on the IR list (which would at least allow Slovakia to add a replacement for him) and admit that you were an ******* for having him play in NHL for the past two weeks in the first place. If he is healthy, admit that you are an ******* for not letting him represent his country in his last Olympics...

Janson

fireSNOW
Aug 5, 2007
Islander Country
Don't be silly, he wanted to retire from NT after this tournament, in fact, he only came out of retirement only because of the Olympics. Midseason vacation? You really fail to realize what the Olympics mean for Europeans, absolutely NOONE would refuse to participate if he had the opportunity. And really, Vis? You should be the ones to know best how he feels about playing for/in Slovakia, given the whole Slovan Bratislava situation last year...

And the Gaborik reasoning is even more silly. So with half-injured, not-playing-for-months Gaborik Slovakia stands a chance but not without him?

If Vis is not healthy, then put him on the IR list (which would at least allow Slovakia to add a replacement for him) and admit that you were an ******* for having him play in NHL for the past two weeks in the first place. If he is healthy, admit that you are an ******* for not letting him represent his country in his last Olympics...

Spot on man. Like I said from the beginning its just a dick move by Snow.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
MOD WARNING: KEEP POSTS ON TOPIC AND REFRAIN FROM ATTACKING OTHER POSTERS

I understand tensions are running high for a lot of people but you need to think twice before attacking other posters.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
The GM of Team Slovakia had this to say:

"For Lubo, it's the last chance to play in the Olympics, so it's a very emotional issue for him. If he won't be allowed to play, it will be tough for him. In Slovakia, he has the same status as Zdeno Chara. I think that Garth Snow does not understand what it means to have Lubo Visnovsky in the Slovak team. Hockey is the most popular sport in Slovakia. If we play a game at noon, 50% of the population doesn't go to work to watch the game instead. NHL players are great heroes here and the Olympics are the only chance to see them play together. If Lubo says that he can play and he does play in NHL, then we don't understand why he can't play in the Olympics. If he was injured, we would understand, but not like this..."

I don't think the Isles care about Lubo's status in Slovakia, but like I said, if he's injured, put him on the IR list so Slovakia can at least replace him with some other D. But don't make him play injured in NHL while forcing Slovakia to play the Olympic tournament with one less D.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
And Vis said that he wants to talk about it with Snow one more time, but the chances are slim:

"I have no leverage since I'm not in 100% shape on the ice. The world won't end. I will root for the guys in Sochi. It's all really sad especially because I wanted to say farewell to the guys in a national jersey under the Olympic rings."

This won't do any good for the morale...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I really hope Snow lets him go...

I feel for Viz...Hes old and this will likely be his last time able to compete for his country...

Also it doesn't help that this story is getting bigger and Snow and the Isles are being slammed for this...

Do we really need anymore stuff for people to rag on us about?

Also by not sending him to IR hurts team Slovakia...From a competitive and professional courtesy standpoint you would think they would at least do that...

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Let him play. The season is lost and a nice gesture to a player and person goes a long way. Let him play. He'll come back in better shape and ready to roll (and be traded)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad