Injury Report: LTIR for Smith

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'd everybody drunk? How is Smith getting hurt Holland's fault? Sheesh.

It can be argued that Forsberg shouldn't have been waived in the first place but I don't see how Smith getting hurt creates responses like "Nice signing Holland", "Boy, he really botched this".

Anyway, so many of you hated the Smith signing from the beginning calling him the worst goalie in the league so this is good, right?
In any event, he needs to find a goalie now. Waiving Forsberg was obviously a mistake.

You didn’t know that the HF in HFOil stands for Hindsight Fans? ;)

Reactions: CupofOil and nabob

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Like I said, if he never trades for him, he never wastes the picks. Holland should've known what he was (and how big a pain in the ass he would be to sign).

Again, you're (willfully?) ignoring it wasn't the claim itself but the lack of execution that Holland is getting and deserves flak for. He had a way to keep Forsberg as the third goalie. Other teams have held onto a third for this very reason. He didn't do it though and that's on him.

If I tell you not to put your hand on the stove and you do it, leading to a second degree burn, is that "hindsight" in your opinion or just common sense?
Unless I'm mistaken, the only team that put a claim in on Forsberg was the team that let him walk a few months ago. Likely the only team nobody would have expected to scoop him up, which also happens to be run by a guy with a long history with Holland.

I'm sure Holland didn't see it coming. Sure, he could have waived someone else. I don't disagree. But I'm not going to sit here and act like this was a glaringly obvious problem, because there was no problem until this morning.

I hope Skinner gets a start and shuts it down just to see the complete flip some people will do on the situation.

I guess I'm just more inclined to trust in one of the most respected managers in the league than you. I'm not going to jump on someone for not having a backup, backup plan, especially when we don't have a clue what he's doing in the next few days to address it. I just wish the chicken little season is gonna be sunk reactions would go away. Maybe I just need to ignore it.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Most teams would be quite screwed if their top two goalies got injured...
It’s true of course. But this isn’t a normal season and teams need to take covid quarantine rules into consideration. It becomes a little more likely that teams may have one guy unavailable for weeks at a time than it would be to see two goaltenders sidelined by injuries in a regular year. I tend to side with those saying Holland slipped up a bit here; first by resigning Smith in the first place, and second by not realizing the lay of the land and the likelihood that his backup plan was going to get snatched off waivers. Hopefully he’s working on a solution that’s better than Rodrigue.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It’s true of course. But this isn’t a normal season and teams need to take covid quarantine rules into consideration. It becomes a little more likely that teams may have one guy unavailable for weeks at a time than it would be to see two goaltenders sidelined by injuries in a regular year. I tend to side with those saying Holland slipped up a bit here; first by resigning Smith in the first place, and second by not realizing the lay of the land and the likelihood that his backup plan was going to get snatched off waivers. Hopefully he’s working on a solution that’s better than Rodrigue.

I wonder if Toronto’s Zamboni driver is available?

Reactions: BlackDogg

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
No back to backs for the next eight or so, limited travel, so doable for the next while.

And the second half of that next back to back is against Ottawa. If ever there was a team for Skinner to make his debut against this season it is Ottawa.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
It's what Holland does from here that really matters.

He did his due diligence in bringing in a suitable #3.

Carolina could have chosen any out of probably at least half a dozen guys if not more.

There isn't so much urgency if either Forsberg gets claimed OR Mike Smith goes down with injury.

Both happening at the same time was extremely unlikely.

Reactions: nabob

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We should have opened up the war chest and traded for a young goalie stuck somewhere, such as Georgiev. It's not just for a situation like this, but also it's just good practice to mix in matured young players. We need a post-Koskinen plan as well, and not just hoping and praying for the UFA market to bail us out. But yeah it would be useful right about now as well

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If we signed Jimmy Howard tomorrow, I would say he's better than Mike Smith AND he'd be here done his quarantine before the Oilers back-to-back Jan 30/31, so get it done.

The Jimmy Howard of last year was worse than Smith, so unless by some miracle he’s turned back time a few years, I’ll pass.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's amazing how fast people will go from happy to telling us how badly Ken Holland has botched everything when something completely random and unforseen happens. Just like with AA and covid shutting down the season.

"Should have for seen a global pandemic coming and flattening the cap!"

"Should have forseen Mike Smith getting injured a day after the season starts and Carolina claiming his insurance goalie that they let walk away but a few months ago!"

Good lord:laugh:
Utter nonsense.

1) Our tending was not great last year, it's one of the major reasons we lost out in the play in round.
2) Holland decided to bring back Smith, one of the oldest if not oldest goalie in the league, who by the way is an awful goalie to boot.
3) Holland chose to waive Forsberg, his choice.
4) None of this was oh no covid! or hindsight. A number of people on here saw our tending for what it was a shaky house of cards, one breath of wind from falling over.

Holland did nothing to improve the most important position on a team, he made moves that actually created more of a crisis, this is on him, not 'bad luck'

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Unless I'm mistaken, the only team that put a claim in on Forsberg was the team that let him walk a few months ago. Likely the only team nobody would have expected to scoop him up, which also happens to be run by a guy with a long history with Holland.

I'm sure Holland didn't see it coming. Sure, he could have waived someone else. I don't disagree. But I'm not going to sit here and act like this was a glaringly obvious problem, because there was no problem until this morning.

I hope Skinner gets a start and shuts it down just to see the complete flip some people will do on the situation.

I guess I'm just more inclined to trust in one of the most respected managers in the league than you. I'm not going to jump on someone for not having a backup, backup plan, especially when we don't have a clue what he's doing in the next few days to address it. I just wish the chicken little season is gonna be sunk reactions would go away. Maybe I just need to ignore it.
It would be amazing to have Skinner kill it here. I think our D is good enough now that he would at least have a shot. Not like when Bunz was left to the wolves

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Holland did nothing to improve the most important position on a team, he made moves that actually created more of a crisis, this is on him, not 'bad luck'

Yes. Damn him for not having that crystal ball.

Please share whatever you posted before any waiver claims came in criticizing Holland for not protecting Forsberg.

Reactions: TB12

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Utter nonsense.

1) Our tending was not great last year, it's one of the major reasons we lost out in the play in round.
2) Holland decided to bring back Smith, one of the oldest if not oldest goalie in the league, who by the way is an awful goalie to boot.
3) Holland chose to waive Forsberg, his choice.
4) None of this was oh no covid! or hindsight. A number of people on here saw our tending for what it was a shaky house of cards, one breath of wind from falling over.

Pretty obvious he tried very hard to upgrade the goaltending. Markstrom was plan A. Holtby was plan B. Smith was plan C. The player has to want to sign here.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
So how many teams have 3 goalies on their active roster? Anyone know a site with up to date rosters in one place?

I think we need to be patient and see how this plays out. Smith is actually the guy I want as our taxi squad goalie. Pretty much perfect for that. Still want one of the ARZ goalies, preferably Kemper, but don't want to give up the first round pick.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Took a look at Cap Friendly, and only 2 teams have three goalies on their active roster, Islanders and now obviously the Jets. So it isn't like it's a trend to have 3 goalies on your active roster. Caps have three goalies on their taxi squad and the Wings 2. Maybe make a pitch for Copley, Boyle or Pickard. All have various levels of NHL experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00