Injury Report: LTIR for Smith

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
So how many teams have 3 goalies on their active roster? Anyone know a site with up to date rosters in one place?

I think we need to be patient and see how this plays out. Smith is actually the guy I want as our taxi squad goalie. Pretty much perfect for that. Still want one of the ARZ goalies, preferably Kemper, but don't want to give up the first round pick.

See my post above.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
The Jimmy Howard of last year was worse than Smith, so unless by some miracle he’s turned back time a few years, I’ll pass.

Mike Smith had a .900 save percentage at 5v5, Howard had a .896 save percentage at 5v5.

One played for Detroit, one played for Edmonton.

Biggest difference was Mike Smith had a .916 on the PK - which was actually 1st in the league.

Now is that because of the team's PK structure and play? Detroit's PK was worst in the league. Oilers was 2nd in the league.

I'm not sure.

But, I'll take Howard over Hutchinson, Lindgren, Kinkaid, whatever other garbage is available.

I'm not a huge Howard fan - this whole mess is Holland's creation - but trying to find BPA.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The smart play is to have 3 goalies on the roster this year.
Kind of a no-brainer isn’t it. Most important position on the team and even more critical this year considering the circumstances we’re playing under in Canada where any new player needs to quarantine for 14 days. You can limp by with injuries to position players but you’re screwed if you lose goalies. I wonder if the league could have done more by making them waiver exempt this year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Kind of a no-brainer isn’t it. Most important position on the team and even more critical this year considering the circumstances we’re playing under in Canada where any new player needs to quarantine for 14 days. You can limp by with injuries to position players but you’re screwed if you lose goalies. I wonder if the league could have done more by making them waiver exempt this year.
Yeah there should be an exemption for sending goalies to the taxi squad.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Interesting to look at when other teams put their taxi squad goalies on waivers, and looks to be the same timeframe as when the Oilers put Forsberg on waivers. For whatever reason, every other goalie cleared, except for him and Comrie.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
COVID and Injured Reserve Lists

In accordance with Rule 35 of the Transition Rules, a player who tests positive for COVID during the season will be eligible to be placed on the team’s Bona-Fide Long Term Injury/Illness list. The player will be considered “unfit to play” for “the longer of 10 games and 24 days from the date of the confirmed positive.”
So if a player tests positive for COVID, the team can put him on the LTIR list to free up cap space for a replacement, but that player is “unfit to play” for a minimum of 24 days. Salary relief and 24 days without him, or no LTIR and perhaps back after a 10- or 14-day quarantine? That might make for some tough decisions during the season.

Guess we will find out soon enough if it is COVID.

Reactions: Faelko

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I thought for sure his first injury this season would be due to a dramatic shrug after a wrister from the point finds the back of the net.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
COVID and Injured Reserve Lists

In accordance with Rule 35 of the Transition Rules, a player who tests positive for COVID during the season will be eligible to be placed on the team’s Bona-Fide Long Term Injury/Illness list. The player will be considered “unfit to play” for “the longer of 10 games and 24 days from the date of the confirmed positive.”
So if a player tests positive for COVID, the team can put him on the LTIR list to free up cap space for a replacement, but that player is “unfit to play” for a minimum of 24 days. Salary relief and 24 days without him, or no LTIR and perhaps back after a 10- or 14-day quarantine? That might make for some tough decisions during the season.

Guess we will find out soon enough if it is COVID.
we can only hope its its a mild case of Covid

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I remember thinking we should just sign Aaron Dell instead of Smith, and then thinking we should still sign Dell even though we had Smith.

It sure would have been nice if we had Dell.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
We should have opened up the war chest and traded for a young goalie stuck somewhere, such as Georgiev. It's not just for a situation like this, but also it's just good practice to mix in matured young players. We need a post-Koskinen plan as well, and not just hoping and praying for the UFA market to bail us out. But yeah it would be useful right about now as well

Georgiev is not a great goalie or prospect. Albeit I think the two 2nds we paid for AA could have fetched Georgiev. Whatever.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I remember thinking we should just sign Aaron Dell instead of Smith, and then thinking we should still sign Dell even though we had Smith.

Leafs will waive Dell. They are in cap hell with 6D.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Georgiev is not a great goalie or prospect. Albeit I think the two 2nds we paid for AA could have fetched Georgiev. Whatever.
Georgiev isnt perfect of course but he is a prospect goalie at the perfect level of maturation to see what he can do. So you might get some rough games from him but you are building something. But it doesnt have to be him. Just an example

I just want our org to care about the position for once. Try building something instead of hail mary on UFAs

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Our problem is we have 8D not counting Bouchard or Lennstrom. We need to drop that number down to 7. Lagesson is trade bait, sadly.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Maybe the blessing in disguise here is that Koskinen is going to play more. I think Tippett might of been inclined to split them even though I think Koskinen is significantly better. If Koskinen gets hurt we are completely screwed though.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Dell could get covid or got injured too. Doesn’t guarantee anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad