Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Buying him out saves us almost nothing because most of his cap hit is from signing bonuses and buyouts don't reduce those at all. This has been covered to death. It's basically not an option. We'd get more cap relief (about $1 million) having him play in the minors, and that's still not very much. It sucks but if he's determined to play, it probably makes most sense to just play him.
I know that a buyout doesn’t do much. Take a higher cap hit this year but save in the key 21-22 season. Not ideal but at some point they need to just deal with the contract. They screwed up. And why???? Why did they feel the need that they had to have him?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Eriksson restaurant chain business lost a lot of money so probably 0% chance he will retire.

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Buying him out saves us almost nothing because most of his cap hit is from signing bonuses and buyouts don't reduce those at all. This has been covered to death. It's basically not an option. We'd get more cap relief (about $1 million) having him play in the minors, and that's still not very much. It sucks but if he's determined to play, it probably makes most sense to just play him.

This is what I say. I realize he's been a disappointment but he's still one of the top 13 forwards in the org. Quit whining and try making some lemonade out of this particular lemon...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is what I say. I realize he's been a disappointment but he's still one of the top 13 forwards in the org. Quit whining and try making some lemonade out of this particular lemon...
Lemon Loui will be a lot sweeter if he’s gone, and his cap dollars are used for Tofu +.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Eriksson restaurant chain business lost a lot of money so probably 0% chance he will retire.

I posted this in another thread:

"Keep in mind that $1M in Swedish dollars is like $111K in US dollars. Going by google translate, I think Eriksson may have bought the restaurants for $50M with partners which is less than $6M US and those restaurants are, according to the article, in prime locations. So essentially, unless Eriksson invested in other failed businesses as many North American athletes are known to do, it's not that big of a deal. Eriksson made over $25M gross in his last contract. He's collected over $24M gross already under his current contract. Without knowing more about his other investments, I don't think he is that desperate for money."

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I know that a buyout doesn’t do much. Take a higher cap hit this year but save in the key 21-22 season. Not ideal but at some point they need to just deal with the contract. They screwed up. And why???? Why did they feel the need that they had to have him?

Buyout makes no sense this year.

Next year its an option and saves $2M in cap.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It cost the Rangers a second round draft pick to offload the the final year of Mark Staal's contract ($5.7m) to the Red Wings.

What would it cost the Canucks to offload the last two years of Eriksson's contract? You don't want to know. The conversation would start with a first round draft pick and might even include another B-level prospect. Benning would be crazy to even think about this.

Even if the Canucks were willing to eat some salary, there's still almost zero chance they can trade Eriksson in this flat-cap era. All they can really do is bury him in the minors for another year. Maybe they can then talk about a buy-out for the last miserable year of his contract.

If Eriksson was the only bad contract on the books you could live with it.....but the Canucks have at least four by my count with no chance of trading any of them.

Everybody seems to be predicting that Benning will be active in the trade market. But I can't see how. They have a bunch of overpaid 30-plus players nobody wants; and while Virtanen and Stecher may be available, they won't net much in return either. And it now seems certain that Tanev and likely Markstrom will walk.

So who's left to trade?
Yeah, the management hell that Vancouver is currently in is just...
iu

It's just not Eriksson, even if he's the flag ship. It's a goddamn half of a platoon. Alot of the albatross contracts in plural will be dead weight for Vancouver for a long time.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
Yeah, the management hell that Vancouver is currently in is just...
iu

It's just not Eriksson, even if he's the flag ship. It's a goddamn half of a platoon. Alot of the albatross contracts in plural will be dead weight for Vancouver for a long time.
Lol a long time? f*** this board is so over dramatic it’s a joke

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I posted this in another thread:

"Keep in mind that $1M in Swedish dollars is like $111K in US dollars. Going by google translate, I think Eriksson may have bought the restaurants for $50M with partners which is less than $6M US and those restaurants are, according to the article, in prime locations. So essentially, unless Eriksson invested in other failed businesses as many North American athletes are known to do, it's not that big of a deal. Eriksson made over $25M gross in his last contract. He's collected over $24M gross already under his current contract. Without knowing more about his other investments, I don't think he is that desperate for money."

Quite a bit of that money went into taxes, thats probably more than $10m alone on his time in VAN. And I still havent seen any good reason why he should give up those remaining 5m (or 8m if you include the already paid signing bonus) by retiring now. He may not even have to ride the buses if there is no AHL season. It easy earned money.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Quite a bit of that money went into taxes, thats probably more than $10m alone on his time in VAN. And I still havent seen any good reason why he should give up those remaining 5m (or 8m if you include the already paid signing bonus) by retiring now. He may not even have to ride the buses if there is no AHL season. It easy earned money.

All I'm saying is that I don't think Eriksson would choose to continue to play hockey just because he lost money in his restaurant business. "Millions" in Swedish dollars may only be a few hundred thousand US dollars. Of course if he still wants to continue playing for the love of the game or that he wants to collect the remaining money he is owed then he will continue playing. I just don't think that decision would have anything to do with his restaurant losses unless he was thinking that running a restaurant empire would be what he plans to do post hockey and now plans have changed.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
All I'm saying is that I don't think Eriksson would choose to continue to play hockey just because he lost money in his restaurant business. "Millions" in Swedish dollars may only be a few hundred thousand US dollars. Of course if he still wants to continue playing for the love of the game or that he wants to collect the remaining money he is owed then he will continue playing. I just don't think that decision would have anything to do with his restaurant losses unless he was thinking that running a restaurant empire would be what he plans to do post hockey and now plans have changed.

LE is not walking away from the rest of his contract. People love to throw romantic notions like this around with reasons such as "but he's not gonna want to ride a bus in the minors" etc. etc. Like really? The horror of having to ride a bus for 5 hours to get paid millions.........

Where else is he gonna make anywhere near that kind of money?

Not gonna happen.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Eriksson keeps lingering around like a stale beer fart. I can't wait until the day Loui is finally off the books.

It's going to be a great day within itself.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Eriksson keeps lingering around like a stale beer fart. I can't wait until the day Loui is finally off the books.

It's going to be a great day within itself.

You could be right but I would much rather save one million a year and not have to look at his face and lethargic ass in a Canuck unifom a day longer. Out of sight is way better than in Vancouver.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
LE is not walking away from the rest of his contract. People love to throw romantic notions like this around with reasons such as "but he's not gonna want to ride a bus in the minors" etc. etc. Like really? The horror of having to ride a bus for 5 hours to get paid millions.........

Where else is he gonna make anywhere near that kind of money?

Not gonna happen.

I'm not a strong believer that Eriksson would walk away, but I don't think it's a romantic notion at all. IRRC, Ray Ferraro (pre-pandemic) thought that there was no way Eriksson would spend the year playing in Utica. Additionally, many of these Swedish players dream of finishing their hockey careers in Sweden where it all started. Even the Sedins talked about doing so in years past. Naslund walked away from $4M to return to Sweden and play a year for MODO.

Eriksson is nearing the end of his NHL career. Retirement decisions get made. If an NHL team is interested in him he would know because his agent has been making the rounds. So Eriksson should be thinking whether he wants to simply retire from the NHL rather than risk being waived. Eirksson should be thinking what he should do if he gets waived and nobody claims him.

We also don't know what ailments Eriksson is battling. Jannik Hansen talked about how enough was enough and it was time to retire because his body couldn't handle it anymore. If Eriksson really is the last on the ice and first off the ice then you wonder if he can stomach riding the bus for those extra millions (about half of which is taxed).

Reactions: sting101

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I'm not a strong believer that Eriksson would walk away, but I don't think it's a romantic notion at all. IRRC, Ray Ferraro (pre-pandemic) thought that there was no way Eriksson would spend the year playing in Utica. Additionally, many of these Swedish players dream of finishing their hockey careers in Sweden where it all started. Even the Sedins talked about doing so in years past. Naslund walked away from $4M to return to Sweden and play a year for MODO.

Eriksson is nearing the end of his NHL career. Retirement decisions get made. If an NHL team is interested in him he would know because his agent has been making the rounds. So Eriksson should be thinking whether he wants to simply retire from the NHL rather than risk being waived. Eirksson should be thinking what he should do if he gets waived and nobody claims him.

We also don't know what ailments Eriksson is battling. Jannik Hansen talked about how enough was enough and it was time to retire because his body couldn't handle it anymore. If Eriksson really is the last on the ice and first off the ice then you wonder if he can stomach riding the bus for those extra millions (about half of which is taxed).

There's not a lot of precedent for a player like him walking away from his contract and remaining dollars as far as I know.................sure there's a chance but imo it's very doubtful.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Err

Hansen and Eriksson play completely different games.

One is useful. The other is useless.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Err

Hansen and Eriksson play completely different games.

One is useful. The other is useless.

Huh? Are you comparing the two in their primes? I agree they play completely different games, but Eriksson in his prime was a 70+ point player.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There's not a lot of precedent for a player like him walking away from his contract and remaining dollars as far as I know.................sure there's a chance but imo it's very doubtful.

I'm not optimistic either. But for what it's worth, "buyout-proof" contracts are a more recent trend so there isn't a whole lot of precedent. Backes refused to report to the AHL and the Bruins decided not to force the issue and suspend him. That doesn't mean the Canucks would be as generous.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Huh? Are you comparing the two in their primes? I agree they play completely different games, but Eriksson in his prime was a 70+ point player.
I'm just taking the opportunity to shit on Loui.

Loui's playstyle is a walk in the park compared to honey badger's.

Which would be ok if he was imitating the Sedins.

Which he most assuredly is not.

Loui's low event low contact playstyle will sustain him well into his 40s.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Lol a long time? f*** this board is so over dramatic it’s a joke
Well, I like drama and I'm a pessimist. However, what do I base my management problems to this day at? Well...

Ferland @ $3,5m - IF he actually retires would be a grace for Vancouver. If he can return he will be a terrible contract. Period. Until 23/24. That's a long time.
Eriksson @ $6m for another two years. Ok, not "a long time", still a great thorn in cap hell. A true albatross contract.
Boeser @ $5,875m isn't exactly to belong in this category, but he might be if he keeps his game up to being mr. Invisible alot of the time, who barely moves his legs. Contract ends in 23/24. I hope he can find his groove again. Otherwise he will belong here.
Sutter @ $4,375m is off the books in 21/22. He has shown some spark, but holy hell is that a bad contract. Long? No.
Baertschi @3,36m until 21/22 is just HAHAHAHA! Not long, I grant you that.
Roussel @$3m until 22/23 is just sad.
Beagle @ $3m until 22/23 is just sad.

The defense? Well... it doesn't look that great in terms of depth. What do you define as "long", anyway? The next couple of years defines as "long" in my vocabulary. What do you mean? The next decade? Vancouver will probably lose Markström for free because of this trash bin situation and you think it's "over dramatic". Ok. I'm not of the same opinion as you. I think Vancouver is in a shitty situation. You seem to be much more positive.

The amount of dead weight and overpaid contracts on the roster is abysmal. But you find it "dramatic" to call wolf. Well, it all depends on the definition of "long time". I think Vancouver will continue to struggle to ice a bang for the buck team for a long time with current management. When these garbage contracts are off the books, others will arise. No?

Even worse, if this trend of signing bad players to overpaid contracts is kept up, Vancouver will lose Pettersson in the long run. Or would lose, unless he was so bloody damn Swedish and loyal.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Too bad he wouldn’t show the same class as Naslund did and walk away from the last year of his contract next year. And Naslund was still a useful everyday player with the Rangers when he did that. But there’s not many players as classy as Naslund unfortunately.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Too bad he wouldn’t show the same class as Naslund did and walk away from the last year of his contract next year. And Naslund was still a useful everyday player with the Rangers when he did that. But there’s not many players as classy as Naslund unfortunately.
The example I was thinking of too. For some reason tho I just cant Loui doing it. He doesnt seem to have any problem with limited roles or the pressbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad