Player Discussion Loui Eriksson II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
He is no where to be found...
In games where we need a goal to tie it up or are down by two who scores?

Bergeron
Marchand

First line talent but when the going gets tough he's looking to the next game.

Any stats to support this? I know last year only 6 of his 22 goals were scored with a bruins lead.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
if anything Loui has been one of our most clutch players. And god forbid the Bruins actually have a late lead, he's one of the top 3 guys I want out there protecting it.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I question whether you are watching the games?

I`m going to try and enjoy what I think will be the final few games for Loui
This guy has repeatedly made his disdain for Eriksson quite clear.

I agree with you and am enjoying the scoring and defensive play he's providing this season.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Dude, guys, Eriksson doesn't hit wicked hahd so he's useless. He and his finesse go running for the hills when it's less than 3 minutes in the 3rd:sarcasm:

We need Bruins type players cause that's foolproof. Cause 1 cup in 39 years is the best recipe for successs by any team ever

:help:

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Dude, guys, Eriksson doesn't hit wicked hahd so he's useless. He and his finesse go running for the hills when it's less than 3 minutes in the 3rd

We need Bruins type players cause that's foolproof. Cause 1 cup in 39 years is the best recipe for successs by any team ever

:help:

dude, I haven`t a clue what you speak of....dude

He isn`t a guy who`ll bowl anyone over but if you have a peek at where he often scores his goals from it`s one of the toughest places to make an earning. So dude, I`ll disagree with you

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009

He isn`t a guy who`ll bowl anyone over but if you have a peek at where he often scores his goals from it`s one of the toughest places to make an earning. So dude, I`ll disagree with you

I got what you "dude" there...if I dude'nt know better.......:laugh:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Okay. Complete breakdown (thanks, ESPN for having the best game log around for this purpose, made it much easier to quickly compile this... can't believe I'm thanking ESPN, anyway...)
Boston figures first.

1st goal of the season put us up 2-0 over Tampa.
2nd goal we were down 3-2 to Tampa. Tied it (ended up losing 3-6).

3rd goal made it 2-1 against Dallas.
4th goal made it 3-5 (the final score)

5th goal made it 1-0 against MTL (we lost 2-4)

6th goal made it 3-2 against San Jose (we lost 3-5)

7th goal made it 2-1 against Minn,
8th goal (GWG) 3-2, and
9th goal 4-2 (ended up 4-2)

10th goal made it 2-1 against Nashville (lost 2-3)

11th goal (shorthanded) made it 1-1 against Montreal (won 3-1)

12th goal made it 3-2 against Pittsburgh, GWG (won 6-2)

13th goal made it 1-0 against New Jersey (we tied 1-1 and won in a shootout)

14th goal made it 1-2 against Washington (we lost 2-3)

15th goal made it 2-1 against Philadelphia (we lost 2-3)

16th goal made it 1-0 against Buffalo (we won 2-1)

17th goal made it 2-1 against Winnipeg (we won 6-2)

18th goal made it 3-1 against Minnesota, GWG (we won 4-2)

19th goal made it 3-1 against Detroit (we lost 6-5)

I marked the goals he scored when we were down in bold (a total of 4 out of 19)
One problem with your reasoning is it would mean he wasn't clutch in the Minnesota game. He scored three of four goals for Boston, including the game winner, but none of them came when Boston were down. Two came when they were tied, and one when it was still a one-goal game, but you never mentioned either of those scenarios. Hockey is quick, every goal counts and even a 5-0 goal could end up being the game winner (unless you have 2 min remaining in the game, where it would be quite unlikely). All of this isn't even taking into account when his assists were made (I don't think it necessary to bring that up, because assisting on goals when you're down isn't necessarily more clutch than when you're tied or ahead)

Just as scoring to make it 6-0 late in the game is not "clutch", scoring to make it 1-5 late isn't either. Scoring to make it 3-3 with a second remaining might be clutch, but so is scoring a GWG (Marchand scored a game winner on a penalty shot in OT, but we weren't down a goal, so he didn't put in an effort that night!) or making it a two goal game with a couple of minutes remaining after huge pressure from the opposing team.

Bahston*

Okay. Complete breakdown (thanks, ESPN for having the best game log around for this purpose, made it much easier to quickly compile this... can't believe I'm thanking ESPN, anyway...)
Boston figures first.

1st goal of the season put us up 2-0 over Tampa.
2nd goal we were down 3-2 to Tampa. Tied it (ended up losing 3-6).

3rd goal made it 2-1 against Dallas.
4th goal made it 3-5 (the final score)

5th goal made it 1-0 against MTL (we lost 2-4)

6th goal made it 3-2 against San Jose (we lost 3-5)

7th goal made it 2-1 against Minn,
8th goal (GWG) 3-2, and
9th goal 4-2 (ended up 4-2)

10th goal made it 2-1 against Nashville (lost 2-3)

11th goal (shorthanded) made it 1-1 against Montreal (won 3-1)

12th goal made it 3-2 against Pittsburgh, GWG (won 6-2)

13th goal made it 1-0 against New Jersey (we tied 1-1 and won in a shootout)

14th goal made it 1-2 against Washington (we lost 2-3)

15th goal made it 2-1 against Philadelphia (we lost 2-3)

16th goal made it 1-0 against Buffalo (we won 2-1)

17th goal made it 2-1 against Winnipeg (we won 6-2)

18th goal made it 3-1 against Minnesota, GWG (we won 4-2)

19th goal made it 3-1 against Detroit (we lost 6-5)

I marked the goals he scored when we were down in bold (a total of 4 out of 19)
One problem with your reasoning is it would mean he wasn't clutch in the Minnesota game. He scored three of four goals for Boston, including the game winner, but none of them came when Boston were down. Two came when they were tied, and one when it was still a one-goal game, but you never mentioned either of those scenarios. Hockey is quick, every goal counts and even a 5-0 goal could end up being the game winner (unless you have 2 min remaining in the game, where it would be quite unlikely). All of this isn't even taking into account when his assists were made (I don't think it necessary to bring that up, because assisting on goals when you're down isn't necessarily more clutch than when you're tied or ahead)

Just as scoring to make it 6-0 late in the game is not "clutch", scoring to make it 1-5 late isn't either. Scoring to make it 3-3 with a second remaining might be clutch, but so is scoring a GWG (Marchand scored a game winner on a penalty shot in OT, but we weren't down a goal, so he didn't put in an effort that night!) or making it a two goal game with a couple of minutes remaining after huge pressure from the opposing team.

Yeah for 1st line player that is considered a goal scorer, that's not too great. All that other BS I'm talking about when we need it when the teams not getting things done and one guy stands up and gets it going with a goal...

Not necessarily game winners but goals that wake the team up..
When the going gets tough he's a ghost out there.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yeah for 1st line player that is considered a goal scorer, that's not too great. All that other BS I'm talking about when we need it when the teams not getting things done and one guy stands up and gets it going with a goal...

You mean like that goal right after Beleskey fought?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

I mean, I don't know what you're arguing. Whatever it is doesn't seem tangible. You can say that the goals Loui scores don't "feel" game-changing or clutch or whatever, or you can keep moving the goalposts. I won't agree with you whatever you do, but you're obviously entitled to your opinion (welcome to the boards, by the way, I want everyone to feel appreciated here). Loui hasn't had many supporters here traditionally, but with his play this season I'm sure most are fairly satisfied with him, especially at his current cap hit. I'd wager a lot are okay with the money he's asking for, but not comfortable with the term and thus want to move him to make the team better (= nothing personal). I personally belong in this camp, though I might be swayed by Sweeney making a different move.

As for your actual reply to my post: What isn't too great for a first liner? 19 goals? Or the percentage of them coming when we're down? Would you argue that a player on a team that rarely goes down can't be good? I mean, the typical game this year (or so it feels) has us scoring a goal or two and then collapsing. Sometimes we get back, sometimes we lose the lead and don't really score much at all. I'd bet we don't score a lot of goals at all when behind, compared to the league average (weighed against goals scored total), actually.

And when we do, it's usually the Bergy line that does. Which is logical, because Bergy and Marchand have the greatest chemistry of forwards on our team, and it's not even close (we're talking light years). They click both when it comes to plays and when it comes to emotions. I bet you Bergy can give Marchand one look that gets him extra motivated to score a game tying goal to light a fire under the arses of the rest of the team. Whoever is the third link on that line doesn't matter when it comes to this aspect (though it helps with efficiency in executing plays, of course).

Loui, on the other hand, has seen many line mates this year (again). He's versatile, and plays all types of situations. For that matter, our coach regularly sends out our 4th line when we're trailing and need a goal, it's a time on ice issue as well (Loui has plenty, but it's about situations).

Lastly, again, I don't know what you're arguing. He should refrain from scoring GWG or go ahead goals because they don't matter as much as goals when we're behind?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I checked great goal scorers around the league to compare with, just to show you how arbitrary this whole distinction is. Ovechkin has a huge number and proportion (over 30%, iirc) of goals scored while trailing, despite their team being so dominant this season. That's an outlier for you, with as big a sample as you're going to get (some Bruins best him, though, as you'll see, might not be who you think).

Eriksson has scored 4/19 = 21% of his goals when trailing.
Patrick Kane 10/34 = 29.4%.

Then I thought "Wait a minute, I haven't tested the really obvious comparables. What about guys on our team?

Bergeron 4/21 = 19%
Marchand (wait for it), with 4/28 lands at 14.3%
Kevan Miller 1/3 = 33.3%
Joonas Kemppainen... 2/2 = 100%

Give this guy Toews-like money right now!

I did a lot others, but none were really too interesting. Besides, I've already spent way too long debunking an arbitrary distinction/criterion that was obviously not very relevant on its own.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Toews, by the way, has two such goals all season (of his 21 total, that's 9.5%)... but then he also has 8 game-winning goals, tied for first in the league with Pavelski. He also has FIVE OT goals, which is by far the most in the league (Six players have 3 of them, and eleven players have 2).

I guess I'll just keep valuing those over goals while trailing (however valuable those usually are, as well).

Sorry for all that. I'll do a lot to postpone work. :laugh:

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

On the contrary you agree with him, the key word I think he says is ''fool proof''.

:laugh:

Or did I do the same with your comment. :laugh:

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Real simple, and I never been a Loui fan, he is playing very well this season and is a great all around player. You can not refute that. However his style of play is not something I am a fan of. Prefer a little more aggressive style when the player has a big frame like Loui. That's it. No malice towards him. Some like blondes, others brunettes

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Real simple, and I never been a Loui fan, he is playing very well this season and is a great all around player. You can not refute that. However his style of play is not something I am a fan of. Prefer a little more aggressive style when the player has a big frame like Loui. That's it. No malice towards him. Some like blondes, others brunettes

I like both.:naughty:

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
I think given his contract demands/his agent and his style he's not going to be here much longer. I like what Loui brings to the team this season, however a 6 year deal where likely he declines a little bit each year isn't what's best for our team overall. if he decides 4 years is worth signing to stay here then I'm all for it but not 6. I'd rather see them extend 63 for 6 years.

ship loui out to vancouver to play with the sedins and try and push SJ out of the playoff picture.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
A lot of fans don't appreciate Loui because his game is not what they say is the Bruins' game. They are mistaken, if they'll look at this season alone they wouldn't have to cheer for. They are players that whatever else they do on top of scoring nobody or not enough measure their input.

Speaking for myself at times Loui frustrates me even if I am not the biggest rock em sock em guy. I might have been one but in today's hockey it can't be all that.

Loui has been one of less than the handful of players directly responsible for the wins or good play of the Bruins' this season.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
A lot of fans don't appreciate Loui because his game is not what they say is the Bruins' game. They are mistaken, if they'll look at this season alone they wouldn't have to cheer for. They are players that whatever else they do on top of scoring nobody or not enough measure their input.

Speaking for myself at times Loui frustrates me even if I am not the biggest rock em sock em guy. I might have been one but in today's hockey it can't be all that.

Loui has been one of less than the handful of players directly responsible for the wins or good play of the Bruins' this season.

Yep. People will notice next year if he is gone. Not a lot of guys out there that can play on your 1st line and produce, play on your 1st unit PP and produce, and lead your second forward unit on the PK with guys like Kemp, Kelly,Ferraro, ect and play well.

If they move Loui they are opening up a huge hole at the RW spot with Pastrnak being the only legit top 6 RW left and Senyshyn as your only possible top 6 RW of the future. If they could end up signing an Okposo or Boedker than that would be great but Okposo will probably want more $ than loui and Boedker will get only a million less than Eriksson despite being a lesser player and inconsistent and a lot of teams are going to throw money at these guys.

Outside of Bergeron, Krejci, and Eriksson this team lacks cerebral, smart, possession driving players. Loosing Loui will impact this team far greater than most would like to expect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad