Player Discussion Loui Eriksson II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Loui has the best Corsi in the NHL

Also

Only 1 Bruin player has a plus Corsi on the team when Loui isn't on the ice ONE that's crazy Loui has been unreal this month

@bruins_stats: Together this year Bergeron and Eriksson have a 64% Corsi For %.

Apart Eriksson is at 59% CF%, Bergeron 47% CF%.

I think this deserves to be on the 1st page, Dallas Lou is back and looks great.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Over the summer if you had asked me if we should resign Loui, I would have laughed and said definitely not. But now, Sweeney needs to start working out a deal, fast. [email protected] maybe?

I don't know why so many people were so ready to trade Loui or say he would be shipped out. I've never lost hope for King Loui! Sweeney can get him on a good deal mark my words. Loui wants to be in Boston.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I don't know why so many people were so ready to trade Loui or say he would be shipped out. I've never lost hope for King Loui! Sweeney can get him on a good deal mark my words. Loui wants to be in Boston.

So you're saying he won't bolt to the first available Canadian team unless we trade for his retired brother Lennon? :sarcasm: :laugh:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

Has to do with how we got him. Had it not been for that most of this wouldn't have happened. Certainly we wouldn't have had 1073 threads about him.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Last thing Sweeney needs to do is to add even more 30+ players signed long-term.

Loui is 30-31 right? IMO that's a lot different from re-signing a guy who's 34-35.

The Bruins have to keep some vets, it would be even more of a train wreck than it already is if they went 100% with the youth. Loui is a keeper.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Last thing Sweeney needs to do is to add even more 30+ players signed long-term.

Do we have a lot of old players? We're currently 14th out of 30 in age (from youngest to oldest). I get that you don't want to become a San Jose, or say, an Anaheim where you've just got tons of older players locked up long-term, but I really don't see an issue with having a core of Loui (who I think could be signed for a 4-year term...not too much risk there), Bergy and Krejci. Chara will be off the books at some point, and that alone will lower the average age. If you look at our players outside of Chara, Seidenberg (who knows what'll happen with him?) Bergy, Krejci, and Loui...who is old? Aside from Chara and Seidenberg, where do you see a big risk? None of the forwards are relying solely on a speed game.

I just don't see the age argument as a good one for not locking up Loui past this season.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

Do we have a lot of old players? We're currently 14th out of 30 in age (from youngest to oldest). I get that you don't want to become a San Jose, or say, an Anaheim where you've just got tons of older players locked up long-term, but I really don't see an issue with having a core of Loui (who I think could be signed for a 4-year term...not too much risk there), Bergy and Krejci. Chara will be off the books at some point, and that alone will lower the average age. If you look at our players outside of Chara, Seidenberg (who knows what'll happen with him?) Bergy, Krejci, and Loui...who is old? Aside from Chara and Seidenberg, where do you see a big risk? None of the forwards are relying solely on a speed game.

I just don't see the age argument as a good one for not locking up Loui past this season.

I don't think there's much risk in the near future, but looking 3-5 years down the road.... Marchand will be 29 at the end of next season when he's due for a contract as well.

We could conceivably have 5 forwards aged 30-35 by 2018 season (Bergeron, Belesky, Marchand, Eriksson, Krejci). If you assume Eriksson and Marchand get roughly $11M between them, that's nearly $30M tied up on forwards who are likely beyond their prime. Krejci joins Bergeron and Eriksson in the 30+ club late this season.

2-3 years is the perfect term for Eriksson IMO. Pay more annually to avoid the long term risk. See Plekanec in Montreal. If that's not an option, I'd still lean towards trading him to the highest bidder and dipping into the younger free agency pool. Boedker would be an interesting top-6 wing addition if the top dogs are unavailable/unattainable.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Take a look at the list year by year of the leading scorers of players 34 and older. Almost to a man they are scoring at about at least 65% of their peak and in many cases less. That would make Loui a 47 point guy in a Dallas system. What would you pay for 2 years of that?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Take a look at the list year by year of the leading scorers of players 34 and older. Almost to a man they are scoring at about at least 65% of their peak and in many cases less. That would make Loui a 47 point guy in a Dallas system. What would you pay for 2 years of that?

Potential for top 9 wingers for 16-17: Eriksson, Marchand, Beleksey, Vatrano, Koko, Hayes, Connolly, Pasta

Thats 8 bodies for 6 spots.

In 17-18, potentially add Heinen, DeBrusk, Senyshyn.

Eriksson carries the risk of declining in their early to mid 30s like the vast vast majority of players do. Vatrano, Koko, Heinen, DeBrusk, Senyshyn carry the risk of not being good NHL players. Of course, you only need one of those guys to pan out to replace Eriksson's slot. Do I expect any of those guys to be as good as Eriksson ever? Probably not. But, you have the cash to shore up other areas.

Keeping Eriksson helps the Krejci/Bergeron prime window. Keeping Eriksson keeps cheap youth out of the lineup and could leave you in a situation where if an elite D does become available, you don't have the cash to get him.

Hard choice and depending on the day I could argue passionately for either one.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't think there's much risk in the near future, but looking 3-5 years down the road.... Marchand will be 29 at the end of next season when he's due for a contract as well.

We could conceivably have 5 forwards aged 30-35 by 2018 season (Bergeron, Belesky, Marchand, Eriksson, Krejci). If you assume Eriksson and Marchand get roughly $11M between them, that's nearly $30M tied up on forwards who are likely beyond their prime. Krejci joins Bergeron and Eriksson in the 30+ club late this season.

2-3 years is the perfect term for Eriksson IMO. Pay more annually to avoid the long term risk. See Plekanec in Montreal. If that's not an option, I'd still lean towards trading him to the highest bidder and dipping into the younger free agency pool. Boedker would be an interesting top-6 wing addition if the top dogs are unavailable/unattainable.

3 years would be awesome.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Potential for top 9 wingers for 16-17: Eriksson, Marchand, Beleksey, Vatrano, Koko, Hayes, Connolly, Pasta

Thats 8 bodies for 6 spots.

In 17-18, potentially add Heinen, DeBrusk, Senyshyn.

Eriksson carries the risk of declining in their early to mid 30s like the vast vast majority of players do. Vatrano, Koko, Heinen, DeBrusk, Senyshyn carry the risk of not being good NHL players. Of course, you only need one of those guys to pan out to replace Eriksson's slot. Do I expect any of those guys to be as good as Eriksson ever? Probably not. But, you have the cash to shore up other areas.

Keeping Eriksson helps the Krejci/Bergeron prime window. Keeping Eriksson keeps cheap youth out of the lineup and could leave you in a situation where if an elite D does become available, you don't have the cash to get him.

Hard choice and depending on the day I could argue passionately for either one.

I love Eriksson's game but 3 years is pushing it in my opinion,but in today's NHL 40 points is second line stuff.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Last thing we need is to have no 1st line wingers like last season.

We had 1 but Claude refused to elevate him. But we are heading that way,right now Pastrnak is not a first line wing and in 2 years neither will Eriksson.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Last thing we need is to have no 1st line wingers like last season.

I've said that few times but it's funny how our opinions change here,
last year we spend complaining on not having 1st line wingers and now that we have we want to trade that, so back to complaining next year.

16-17

Eriksson 31- Krecji 30- Pasta 20
Marchand 28y-Bergeron 31-Connolly 24
Beleskey 28-Spooner 24- Hayes 26
Blidh 21-Kemps 28- Randell 25

Really hard for me to say that's an old lineup, we trade the guys when we have replacements ready, not when those replacements are maybe/hopefully few years away.
That's one easy way to make sure this team will go nowhere.

That's whats so hard for me to understand, Lou is a 1st line winger, it's not that easy to replace and we still have no idea how Connolly looks at the end of year.
I like our top6 and should keep it together for few years, and then in 2years have these trade talks on concerning every player.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I've said that few times but it's funny how our opinions change here,
last year we spend complaining on not having 1st line wingers and now that we have we want to trade that, so back to complaining next year.

16-17

Eriksson 31- Krecji 30- Pasta 20
Marchand 28y-Bergeron 31-Connolly 24
Beleskey 28-Spooner 24- Hayes 26
Blidh 21-Kemps 28- Randell 25

Really hard for me to say that's an old lineup, we trade the guys when we have replacements ready, not when those replacements are maybe/hopefully few years away.
That's one easy way to make sure this team will go nowhere.

That's whats so hard for me to understand, Lou is a 1st line winger, it's not that easy to replace and we still have no idea how Connolly looks at the end of year.
I like our top6 and should keep it together for few years, and then in 2years have these trade talks on concerning every player.

I think not giving Loui a NTC for more than 2 years is the key. If we can trade Loui in 2 years than keeping him makes so much sense, maybe he keeps his value and we don't want to. But to sign Loui longer term than 2 or maybe 3 years we really need that option. I'd rather we keep him while we don't have anyone to replace him ready.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Do we think we can sign Loui for about 5.5 million? If he will sign a 3-5 years deal I would be completely on board with that.

A comparable would be Patrick sharp, who is mid way through a 5 yr deal @ 5.9mil per year toward the cap. Sharp signed the deal he was around 29 or 30. A better goal scorer than Eriksson for sure but I think if they can work something out that is cheaper than Sharp they should do it. Eriksson is a first line winger no doubt

Another comparable would be the deal Jason Pominville signed at age 30. 5 yrs 28 mil for a cap hit of 5.6.

I think it would be worth it to secure a top line winger while our young wingers are still developing.

Is there room for both Marchand and Eriksson? With Pastrnak having 2 yrs left on the entry deal and hopefully a not so large contract after that, and Connolly's next contract not being outrageous, I think there is. Depends on Brad's asking price too. That 3 million to Kelly will sure be helpful to keeping out top 6 in place

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think not giving Loui a NTC for more than 2 years is the key. If we can trade Loui in 2 years than keeping him makes so much sense, maybe he keeps his value and we don't want to. But to sign Loui longer term than 2 or maybe 3 years we really need that option. I'd rather we keep him while we don't have anyone to replace him ready.

Exactly, we don't have to give up Chia contracts anymore,
in 2 years we can have trade talks around Lou, Beleskey, Connolly, Hayes and find room for our prospects, Lou is easily the best player out of these so I would really like to keep him and not lose top talent year after year.

Give him a bit of safety by 2years protection and offer him more money to take a shorter term, but if he wants more than 4years then I'm ready to have real Lou trade talks, but right now it doens't make sense.
We've found a clicking to6 with youth in it.

Hawks won the cap this year with
Sharp-Vermette-Teravainen as their 3rd line which was a big reason why they won the Cup, I want us to have that quality depth too when we go for our playoff runs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Do we think we can sign Loui for about 5.5 million? If he will sign a 3-5 years deal I would be completely on board with that.

A comparable would be Patrick sharp, who is mid way through a 5 yr deal @ 5.9mil per year toward the cap. Sharp signed the deal he was around 29 or 30. A better goal scorer than Eriksson for sure but I think if they can work something out that is cheaper than Sharp they should do it. Eriksson is a first line winger no doubt

Another comparable would be the deal Jason Pominville signed at age 30. 5 yrs 28 mil for a cap hit of 5.6.

I think it would be worth it to secure a top line winger while our young wingers are still developing.

Is there room for both Marchand and Eriksson? With Pastrnak having 2 yrs left on the entry deal and hopefully a not so large contract after that, and Connolly's next contract not being outrageous, I think there is. Depends on Brad's asking price too. That 3 million to Kelly will sure be helpful to keeping out top 6 in place

I think both sides have solid points here.

Eriksson is a 1st line winger. We need a first line winger. The first X years of the contract will be great. The last X years of the deal could not be so great.

People like me are leaning towards not taking the risk on the tail end of that deal, but would obviously be making the team worse at the tail end of Krejci/Bergeron's prime. That might be stupid. I see a lot of young wingers in the system that are NHL ready in 16-17 and beyond and don't see where they fit in the top 9. I also see the need to spend some $$$ on the backend, and, eventually, on resigning the young guys we currently have on the cheap. When you have so many young wingers coming up, is $5+ million on Loui the best use of cap space? 6 on Marchand? I love both those players, but I'm not sure. It depends on what is out there and how the kids perform this season.

People who 100% want to keep Loui are probably underestimating what it can be like having a declining guy on the roster and how hard it can be to move that money. For every Sharp that gets dumped, there is a Lecavalier (or maybe a Seidenberg) that is difficult to move and is a drain on your team. Just having no NTC doesn't mean you can just deal off your declining players when you feel like it.

There is a lot in flux here. How well do the kids develop over the year? What if Vatrano scores 40 in Providence this year? Does a good but expensive D-man become available? Can you move Seidenberg? When Seidenberg comes back, do you even want to? What do Eriksson and Marchand want in a deal? How much does the team like players in the 2016 draft? What kind of package will a team give you for Eriksson? Marchand?

I don't think anyone should with any degree of confidence be saying we need to keep or move Loui or Marchand or anyone at this juncture.

But, what else would we talk about?!

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
The reason a lot of people don't like him is he isn't flashy or a rough player. He does a million little things well that most around here don't appreciate. They want the flash and offensive player and don't really care what the guy does without the puck or in his defensive end. Loui is the type of player that when older will still do all the little things well which will make him very useful. Something like say a Marion Hossa with out the speed . A great all around player that will last a long time.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Would still like to see him use that shot he had in the Dallas days, still seems to shank it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad