Lou Lamoriello is making a real old school statement and sending a message to the league

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
upload_2020-8-25_21-36-26.jpeg

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Sincerely, deeply, hope and and pray that the Islanders get nowhere near Lord Stanley but gotta give it where it's due.....why the hell did Toronto get rid of Lamoriello? One hundred point team and on the way up....I really don't get it at all.
They couldn't block a young Dumbass from taking a GM job elsewhere, so it was keep the kid or ditch the old man.

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
Yes comrade. Lou know need build hokey team like tank. Strong, hard never break. go boom boom just like 4th line.

HIs boys know no pretty pass all day like TBgirleymen. Play strong on puck like man. Hit hard...get to net win game.

Neck slow circulumation of blood from heart to head.

Damn neared pesssed my pants wreading dis thang

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Hopefully we win the Cup because man, this offseason's going to be a rough one. Barzal, Pulock, Toews needing new deals with a bunch of contracts he inherited that are just unmoveable.

Til then I'll enjoy playoff hockey. Lets go Islanders!!!!
Leddy’s value just keeps going up with his play. He could be a good trade chip come the offseason if they manage to pull off the win.

Reactions: SI90

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Lou is a great GM but as a Devils fan I know of his faults which are that he isn't good at rebuilding or knowing its time to rebuild. The Devils should have started their rebuild after the 2012 cup run or after the 2013 season but instead we traded for cory who kept us way to competitive for what we were.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sincerely, deeply, hope and and pray that the Islanders get nowhere near Lord Stanley but gotta give it where it's due.....why the hell did Toronto get rid of Lamoriello? One hundred point team and on the way up....I really don't get it at all.

My opinion only, and pure conjecture- direct philosophical conflict with Shanahan.

Shanahan's vision of sustained success (with peaks and valleys) built around a dynamic core/duo of the ilk that has lead to the majority of cups since 95, and is capable of giving you a shot to win for the duration of their careers

vs.

Lou's win the cup now, no player is irreplaceabl , tomorrow's problems are tomorrow's

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Lou is a great GM but as a Devils fan I know of his faults which are that he isn't good at rebuilding or knowing its time to rebuild. The Devils should have started their rebuild after the 2012 cup run or after the 2013 season but instead we traded for cory who kept us way to competitive for what we were.
Lou is 78. His team is an emerging contender headed to a new arena. He won't be around for another rebuild.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Lou is 78. His team is an emerging contender headed to a new arena. He won't be around for another rebuild.
Definitely, I'm just stating that facts that he isn't the best at all things GM. If you have a playoff team that needs a winning culture and makes good trades to make you better then Lou is the best in the league.

Reactions: MaWa

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
But Lou Knew sire. Lou knew whom to play and come with him hard from toronto. He TOOK KOMAROV AND MATT MARTIN on the same airplane. That's hard right there sire :clap: Also Lou brought in Pageau (key). And didn't need Tavares.

Lou's one of his biggest key gettings was of course Barry Trotz. Lou KNEW) Trotz would be fire and right. Toronto didn't know anything. Dubas didn't. He doesn't understand ice hockey and life the Lou Lamoriello does, period.

Im giving the shtick an A+, and if it’s not shtick mercy on all those you know.

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I honestly think that the current NYI success has far more to do with going from having coaches who weren't NHL caliber to having one of the best head coaches in modern history.

The roster is quite similar to what Snow left the team with minus Tavares, plus Pageau, Greene & Varlamov.

The NYI were not a bad team the last several years, they were just coached by people who had no business being a head coach in the NHL. As for Lou, I'm glad he righted the ship, but in terms of players, yeah he hasn't really done a ton.
To me it all started with Isles ownership, It was a chain of fortunate events for the Isles. The Leafs went in a different direction. Lou was available. Looking back only 2 years it was a win for the Isles that he was available.

Malkin wanted Lou. Give credit to Isles ownership. They want to win. Malkin and Ledecky. When he was available, they went and got him. Lou then made Snow and Weight disappear. That was huge also. He then convinced Trotz to come to the Island. As Trotz said, he took the job because it was Lou that called. There is no way Trotz comes to the Island without Lou.

From there, Lou made some very non sexy player moves. He got players that do not jump out at you until you watch them in the playoffs, Komarov and Martin. As single entities they may look like much, but as part of a team they are alot to the Isles team Identity. Difficult to play against and solid defensively. Lou also got Lehner, then replaced him with Varly. And now Sorokin is here. There is no GM that values goaltending as Lou does.

Then he made 2 big TDL moves, Pageau and Greene. The 2 scorers in game 1 the other night. Pageau has been a money player in the playoffs, and he really gives the Isles something they lacked last year, a truly deep 4 line team. The Greene acquisition was sneaky good, that belies Lou's experience and HOF resume. You always go into the playoffs with 7-8 NHL caliber D men. Johnny Boychuck went down the first qualifying game. Hard to see where the Isles would be without these 2 thus far.

These are all great things, but the biggest change may be the Isles became a professional no nonsense franchise. Lou has a knack of changing a team's culture. It's something that is undeniable when Lou is in charge, Some people may not understand it, but Lou's rules create structure and professionalism. It erases any pretense of the name on the back of a jersey and makes the logo on front of the jersey the only thing that matters.

I don't think the Isles are where they are without Lou. It's not all him, but everything sure seems to flow from him.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Still sort of the most realistic cap dump available so that still drives his value down.

Hoping LL can get creative and ditch some of the unmovable dead weight.
If they can pull off the Ladd for Parise trade without destroying the cap it’ll be a huge win.

Reactions: mm11

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lou listens to Frank Sinatra on an old jukebox while he reads the sports section
Dubas listens to Justin Bieber on Spotify while he scrolls twitter

They just don't make em the same anymore
He's got that Vince Lombardi vibe to him. When he was named GM of the Isles, It's almost like the players immediately checked their social media to make sure it was clean, made sure they had their suits steamed, got a hair cut and shave. People laugh at that stuff, but it builds uniformity that no one is better than anyone else. Everyone is equal and you can see this translates to the ice. The Isles play as a team. 1 through 24, even the practice squad. They are all part of the family.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Leddy’s value just keeps going up with his play. He could be a good trade chip come the offseason if they manage to pull off the win.

Pittsburgh gave the 15th overall got Kapanen. Don’t see why we couldn’t get a first for a legit top4 defensman who’s under 30 with the experience of Leddy.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Pittsburgh gave the 15th overall got Kapanen. Don’t see why we couldn’t get a first for a legit top4 defensman who’s under 30 with the experience of Leddy.
It’s obviously because he plays for such a terrible team that he has negative value.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Awesome post !!! Culture change and Trotz. Behind the scenes Isles also setting up a pipeline and finally spending money on scouting, coaching and player development. Don’t forget with Trotz, we got Korn too.

Reactions: Coachcorner

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I honestly think that the current NYI success has far more to do with going from having coaches who weren't NHL caliber to having one of the best head coaches in modern history.

The roster is quite similar to what Snow left the team with minus Tavares, plus Pageau, Greene & Varlamov.

The NYI were not a bad team the last several years, they were just coached by people who had no business being a head coach in the NHL. As for Lou, I'm glad he righted the ship, but in terms of players, yeah he hasn't really done a ton.

Big Trotz fan. But let's not get too crazy here.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
To me it all started with Isles ownership, It was a chain of fortunate events for the Isles. The Leafs went in a different direction. Lou was available. Looking back only 2 years it was a win for the Isles that he was available.

Malkin wanted Lou. Give credit to Isles ownership. They want to win. Malkin and Ledecky. When he was available, they went and got him. Lou then made Snow and Weight disappear. That was huge also. He then convinced Trotz to come to the Island. As Trotz said, he took the job because it was Lou that called. There is no way Trotz comes to the Island without Lou.

From there, Lou made some very non sexy player moves. He got players that do not jump out at you until you watch them in the playoffs, Komarov and Martin. As single entities they may look like much, but as part of a team they are alot to the Isles team Identity. Difficult to play against and solid defensively. Lou also got Lehner, then replaced him with Varly. And now Sorokin is here. There is no GM that values goaltending as Lou does.

Then he made 2 big TDL moves, Pageau and Greene. The 2 scorers in game 1 the other night. Pageau has been a money player in the playoffs, and he really gives the Isles something they lacked last year, a truly deep 4 line team. The Greene acquisition was sneaky good, that belies Lou's experience and HOF resume. You always go into the playoffs with 7-8 NHL caliber D men. Johnny Boychuck went down the first qualifying game. Hard to see where the Isles would be without these 2 thus far.

These are all great things, but the biggest change may be the Isles became a professional no nonsense franchise. Lou has a knack of changing a team's culture. It's something that is undeniable when Lou is in charge, Some people may not understand it, but Lou's rules create structure and professionalism. It erases any pretense of the name on the back of a jersey and makes the logo on front of the jersey the only thing that matters.

I don't think the Isles are where they are without Lou. It's not all him, but everything sure seems to flow from him.
Thank you for making it so clear for everyone on this very accurate post, sire. :clap: Now everybody here will see it too! There's all the moves there listed. The proof is there. The evidense. I noted some of these in the original post, but you did more here. I didn't even mention the great Greene (last night he was key), with his grey beard sire. Lou's goalies also win stanley cups and conn smythe's. Also Claude Lemieux is an ex-conn from 1995. Lou's soulja also sire.

But yes sire. There they are listed above, in your post. Now all hfboards can see and learn. It's about time. Lou deserves this. He might win the stanley cup again. Like you said, Trotz would not have come without Lou. Lou called and now they have a chance in the stanley cup playoffs. Unlike Toronto Maple Leafs. They don't. Shame. I'm a maple leafs fan. But also a huge fan of Lou and Pat Quinn. Burns. Burke, Brian. I'm bout that life. These guys just know the thuglife way.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Big Trotz fan. But let's not get too crazy here.

Barry Trotz is a one of the Top 5 winningest coaches of all time. He won multiple presidents trophy’s and a Stanley cup with the caps and look at them since he left.He took an islanders team that gave up an historic amount of goals to giving up the least amount in 1 season. He also did while the team lost their franchise player and #1 center and led them to the playoffs and a convincing win over the pens. Now this year 2 series wins and counting. What about him being one of the best coaches in History is false? You must be one of those guys mad that the isles play defense and don’t allow teams to score many goals. Not exciting enough for you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad