Lou Lamoriello implements his no facial hair rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What about Movember? Leafs use to promote that.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If you want to bring your Stanley Cup ring to the table, everyone would be happy to see it. The worst argument is "you haven't won anything so what do you know." It's a weak argument that undermines everything else in the rest of your post.

Nothing weak about my premise, you not being able to recognize that individuals do not win team championships is!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I don't recall people saying Dubas was "in charge." It was just said that Lamoriello would mentor Dubas. I don't think it's impossible that can be in charge and mentor Dubas at the same time.

It's not impossible but it is a here is how you do it kind of mentoring… not a learn on the job kind of mentoring.

Which is good.

Leafs… including Shanahan… had very little experience running anything. Then Babcock. Then Lou. Then Lemaire. The rookies need to sit back and take notes, let the leaders lead until they are tired of leading and then pick it up and run with it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I love this. Yes it's just facial hair, but it's what the rule represents that I like.

Exactly, it is like going to St Mikes. If you do not wear a uniform, you are disciplined. Let's see how many players are late for team meetings this year. I bet none. It's a little thing, but it's a big thing when the rule is broken. Builds discipline and team unity.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
So having your team full of clean shaved faces shows a team that is selflessness. There's no way for a team to stand up, united, because of an outdated philosophy?

You're telling me that this team will be better united because it does the little things together, like shaving and having shorter/well groomed hair?

Even the Army, of any nation, doesn't care if you grow a moustache. Bears are now wildly accepted for many reasons. The used to be restricted because a beard would obviously amper the use of a very important Gas Mask...That's it.

But whatever. I get the symbolism, but it's still won't do much.

First, it's an initial step. An initial step toward reforming the culture that has instituted failure as though it was success. No one is saying, send a squad of clean-shaven ECHL players against bearded NHL champions and <poof> The Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Cup. It is a process of developing team uniformity. They can complain together. And they can grumble together about how even militaries under some flags aren't required to shave, etc, etc...But even that is a step towards a single minded purpose which is being sent from the top and enforced by the top.

The club may have yielded a better haul from other clubs or Pittsburgh itself for Kessel had it waited longer, but timing is vital and sending a message is a boon for a directionless club by management who know that the team comes before any single individual. There was obviously a clear mandate to establish leadership in every way shape and form. That in as much as acquiring a first round pick and KK advised the speed of the move. And it advised bringing in Mike Babcock and Lou Lamerillo for goodness sake, lol.

And your comparison of militaries not having grooming standards is a complete fabrication. They exist in so far as the circumstance demands. You're not saying successful militaries operate without standards, right? Maybe Hafthor and Jan-Rune of the National Faroe Islands Armed Guard can grown berserker beards and wear icelandic sweaters to war, but I doubt the personnel in the Russian submarine rising to meet them do.

"But whatever. I get the symbolism, but it's still won't do much."

Apparently men whose profession is hockey and who have won championships beg to differ with your characterization given that they've instituted it as a professional policy.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Frankly speaking I think it's unneccesary. He's just trying to establish some presence and letting the world know he's in charge

Burke had a lot of policies like this, the no trade before xmas and other stuff.

Red Wings don't give too S#$# about Zetterburg having beard, as long as he plays the way he plays. Neither does Nashville about Weber.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Frankly speaking I think it's unneccesary. He's just trying to establish some presence and letting the world know he's in charge

Burke had a lot of policies like this, the no trade before xmas and other stuff.

Red Wings don't give too S#$# about Zetterburg having beard, as long as he plays the way he plays. Neither does Nashville about Weber.

Agreed. Not a big fan of this either.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Nothing weak about my premise, you not being able to recognize that individuals do not win team championships is!

Isn't this just common sense though? Of course successful teams have everyone buying in and pulling in the same direction, even perhaps at some players individual detriment. Less successful teams have players who play for themselves, whether it be for ego, money, stats, or any other self-centered goal they wish to attain. This isn't exactly an earth shattering revelation...

I really don't think this is that big of a deal honestly. What's being clean shaven and well dressed got to do with team concepts? Will it instill structure and discipline off the ice? Perhaps. I don't think it's going to make notable effect with on-ice play however.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd be surprised if a requirement to winning a Championship is not having a beard.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Seems like a militaristic attitude, which is certainly a culture change here. I've always thought Lou treated his players like soldiers.

Culture change is what this new management team is striving for.

They want to make the players into professionals when the represent the Leafs and the brand.

Clean shaven and well dressed also address the corporate image.

Structure and discipline.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Oh boy, here we go. Not the forward thinking or innovative young fresh look I was hoping for. Hopefully this is the only thing uncle Lou is in charge of

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Unbelievable. Professionalism my ass. Nothing about having a beard makes you unprofessional.

Enforcing petty, nonsensical rules like this is unprofessional if you ask me.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
your_picture_1.jpg

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Ugh.

I understand the concept of discipline, and adhering to the details because it instills professionalism.

I just think this is about the silliest way to go about it. Could at least demand that everybody get a goatee and wear pink pyjamas on official business to make it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad