Lou Lamoriello implements his no facial hair rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
It's a mechanism, however small, of creating unity and uniform purpose. A team is a team is a team...There's the story of LL handing Danyko a couple of hundred dollar bills after sticking up for a teammate, against Wendel Clark to which Danyko initially declined. This infuriated LL who went on to explain that he wanted him to know and the team to know how important it is to stick together, to stand up for another, which ultimately we can infer, regards the team before the individual.

It's a strange concept theses days, selflessness and service, but little things, like a team policy being enforced by the club and more importantly being followed by the players is an important step in this group becoming single-minded towards the goal in question.

And don't kid yourself, it's a much needed antidote to the directionless, self-serving, aimless individualism that has characterized our clubs in recent past.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I thought Dubas was in charge and he was just a mentor? ;)

First Marlies tough guy. Then Fraser on a PTO. Now the Anti-ZZ Top rule.

Lou isn't just sitting back collecting a consultant's fee is he?

I don't recall people saying Dubas was "in charge." It was just said that Lamoriello would mentor Dubas. I don't think it's impossible that can be in charge and mentor Dubas at the same time.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It's a mechanism, however small, of creating unity and uniform purpose. A team is a team is a team...There's the story of LL handing Danyko a couple of hundred dollar bills after sticking up for a teammate, against Wendel Clark to which Danyko initially declined. This infuriated LL who went on to explain that he wanted him to know and the team to know how important it is to stick together, to stand up for another, which ultimately we can infer, regards the team before the individual.

It's a strange concept theses days, selflessness and service, but little things, like a team policy being enforced by the club and more importantly being followed by the players is an important step in this group becoming single-minded towards the goal in question.

And don't kid yourself, it's a much needed antidote to the directionless, self-serving, aimless individualism that has characterized our clubs in recent past.

It is 1 of many small things that when all combined result in culture change.

We desperately have needed that change since arguably the end of the 2005 lockout.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Discipline to put the team before yourself including perhaps your own appearance.

I have no issue with it.

Hahahaha all right.

I didn't know having facial hair is for selfish reasons and puts down whatever team you're on.

Wendel Clark was a terrible teammate I'm sure.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
It is 1 of many small things that when all combined result in culture change.

We desperately have needed that change since arguably the end of the 2005 lockout.

Absolutely. Step two seems to involve separating the players from the media on chartered flights...Another great move.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I guess it's the look, like wearing suits, all part of being a Professional. If they allowed beards then they would have to police keeping it trim, etc. Easier to just say none.

Not say I agree but I can understand the thinking.

I guess in the sense that if you're willing to apply yourself to adhering to the minor details, you'll be better off?

That's about all I got.

For reference, I'm pretty sure Lou got this from the Yankees when he was in NJ since that has been a policy of the Yankees for a long time.

I am also a brother in beard, but I think I understand the concept.

It's the old school ideal of being a professional, which often meant clean shaven and "presentable" during your professional life. It's not so much to do with discipline, despite what some people think. It's about looking professional in the traditional sense. Same reason players wear suits to the arenas.

A somewhat outdated way of seeing things, but I'm not the one calling the shots.

I guess I'll never understand. I understand what you guys are sayin but it still makes zero sense to me.

I'm not the one playing though and I really don't care all that much I guess.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Well said!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Just some information and things to remember.

Last year when we had salute gate Carlyle was asked about this and he stated he had his own opinion but would not share it. The lack of direction from the coach towards his players was obvious as after he left players were fined for lateness etc. As well as Kessel blasting a member of the Media and assistance coaches talking about the team to the media..all interviews will now be different with players being told what they can talk about and how they act.

Now we are under a different management and Lou is basically telling everyone....that you are a Toronto Maple Leafs player and as such we are going to hold you accountable and responsible for all aspects of your life. The Leafs will finally stop being a ***** show off the ice and start building a team that can be a team on the ice.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Seems like a militaristic attitude, which is certainly a culture change here. I've always thought Lou treated his players like soldiers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

So having your team full of clean shaved faces shows a team that is selflessness. There's no way for a team to stand up, united, because of an outdated philosophy?

You're telling me that this team will be better united because it does the little things together, like shaving and having shorter/well groomed hair?

I get looking like pro's. Suits and all. That makes sense to me.

Even the Army doesn't care if you grow a moustache. Beards are now wildly accepted for many reasons. The used to be restricted because a beard would obviously amper the use of a very important Gas Mask...That's it.

But whatever. I get the symbolism, but it's still won't do much.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well I suppose trying to turn the Leafs into his private military is a good way to change the culture :). I await the news that he's moving all the players into a bunker when they are in Toronto ;).

In the end it does seem rather silly, but oh well. It's not like most of these guys are going to be on the team long term anyways. So making their lives uncomfortable isn't an issue to me.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
And that's about the era the last time we won a cup.

Then think of the hundreds/thousands of other players that won the cup that had plenty of players with moustaches and beards.

Lanny McDonald anyone? Was he any less of a teammate in Calgary for his glorious moustache?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I wonder how many on here have been part of a championship team at a high level in any sport.

Teams with rules and expectations seem to always be the ones that win the Championships. Individuals on teams never win championships. This rule may seem stupid but it goes a long way in establishing a team concept. Does Lou have facial hair, look at his coaches as well. It was a policy for the whole team.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Nonfactor - however any change from last year is better than reliving that gongshow. Not saying this helps, but I'd be fine with changing everything imaginable, the boys are superstitious, go for it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No Facial hair, a dress code, all point to team unity. No one is better or different than others. It also is about being a pro. These are great moves by Lou and Babcock. Finally we can say goodbye to the culture of entitlement.

I for one absolutely love it.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I wonder how many on here have been part of a championship team at a high level in any sport.

Teams with rules and expectations seem to always be the ones that win the Championships. Individuals on teams never win championships. This rule may seem stupid but it goes a long way in establishing a team concept. Does Lou have facial hair, look at his coaches as well. It was a policy for the whole team.
If you want to bring your Stanley Cup ring to the table, everyone would be happy to see it. The worst argument is "you haven't won anything so what do you know." It's a weak argument that undermines everything else in the rest of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad