TSN: Lou Lam happy with the roster

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Oh I agree, if they want to really get some big return for the future and put that into a package, just trade Hainsey retained 1m for the 2 years as well. We are very much on the same page but I would explore moving Hainsey as well if his value at that money is there. 2-3 1sts +++ could set us up for contending for a decade. All that matters is how you deal with the proceeds.

I'd probably draft with it mostly. Leafs need talent in their pool. It's getting quite shallow. Maybe use some to get a more defensive reliable top 4 defenseman than Gardiner. That's really all that the Leafs need that would cost those sort of assets. Rest can be internal or FA mostly.

I wouldn't trade Hainsey. I get that he probably has an all time value and from a pure asset management stand point it's probably a bad move, but I think he has more value to what he's given to Rielly than anything he's realistically going to return on the market. We play him like a top pairing guy, and I would value him like one right now too. Other teams are not (for obvious reasons which I can understand). If they stuck with the UFA's and maybe extended it to someone like Gardiner for the right deal, then sure.

I would also hope that this team, after putting the right corrections into the lineup over the course of the next year, can actually live up to their hype and be a legit Cup contender. We are going to want Haisney for that.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Doubt that. And consistency is a pretty big "if" with this team. We are probably the most polarizing team in the NHL. Any given night we will lose bad to the worst team in the league, or kick the crap out of the best, more than any other team out there.

I still think the Leafs will sell. Even without their UFA's, they are making the playoffs. Can probably give Boston a good run for their money too, since we do have good guys available to replace the ones we sell. The Atlantic is weak outside of Tampa. The problem is going up against the teams not in the Atlantic, and barring any team shaking moves, I do not see that being a fight the Leafs can win even with your typical UFA additions. Will certainly give teams a run for their money, but just not enough there and not enough consistency to be a true threat yet.

Ya never know, every team has either a Boston like streak or a Ottawa like streak during the season. I think we are too good to crap the bed like Ottawa, I think we have a hot streak coming.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Like I've been saying, we shouldn't be expected much additions in season. Things can change fast but right now, what you see if what you'll get.
What does this mean?

That you don't think we'll make any deals before trade deadline or we won't make a huge deal like for Tavares or Karlsson?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
There's not a lot of pressure for them to add anyone. The team should easily make the playoffs and are not yet in a position to expend assets for short term improvement. I think they are more focused on the team's internal improvement. If anything I can see the team being sellers so that they can bring up Kapanen and keep Dermott up.

Reactions: david999

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Typical Lou interview. didn't learn anything - don't know if trades is going to be:

yay - because pending UFAs and time will decide

or

nay - because like the roster that has been assembled

best "thing" from the article

doing "something" for the sake of doing "something" is not a good "thing"

I don't get this "thing"

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Kapanen was moved by Pittsburgh and seldom in the NHL with this team. He’s only 21 but man he is not a shoe in to take an NHL job from anyone.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Kapanen was moved by Pittsburgh and seldom in the NHL with this team. He’s only 21 but man he is not a shoe in to take an NHL job from anyone.
now he isn't but next season when the vets are probably gone he will have 3rd dibs behind leivo and sosh

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What's he going to say to the press, we are desperate for help and will do anything to make a deal? People realize these GM's use the media, his words offer zero insight into his real thinking.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
What's he going to say to the press, we are desperate for help and will do anything to make a deal? People realize these GM's use the media, his words offer zero insight into his real thinking.

Agreed. Publicizing 100% intent to make a deal (as a buyer) opens up the possibility of getting fleeced too, IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What does this mean?

That you don't think we'll make any deals before trade deadline or we won't make a huge deal like for Tavares or Karlsson?

That I don't think we'll do much of anything outside of maybe a depth move like last season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad