TSN: Lou Lam happy with the roster

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I think he'll add another Hainsey like defenseman at the deadline, maybe Ian Cole is that guy I don't know. But I don't see him doing much of anything with the forwards.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Like I've been saying, we shouldn't be expected much additions in season. Things can change fast but right now, what you see if what you'll get.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The Leafs have three key pending free agents this season in James van Riemsdyk, Tyler Bozak and Leo Komarov. Lamoriello said he will take everything into account in the lead up to the trade deadline while making sure not to tip his hand.

“I think everything plays into it,” Lamoriello said. “Right now we are focused on who we are and where we see ourselves, and time will take care of that.”

I don't know what will happen but at least I like this train of thought. Everything should be considered.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Hainsey is playing more minutes than he ever has before as I heard on the Fan the other day. They'll burn him out come playoffs. Gotta make a move

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hainsey is playing more minutes than he ever has before as I heard on the Fan the other day. They'll burn him out come playoffs. Gotta make a move
We should only make a move if it serves us long term.
A 1st round pick for Green = no.
Someone who is a questionable upgrade = no.

I don't see anything currently available that wouldn't just add another UFA to our list.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I like the roster, however i think they are severely under performing. Im hoping they catch fire right before the playoffs and peak at the right time

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We should only make a move if it serves us long term.
A 1st round pick for Green = no.
Someone who is a questionable upgrade = no.

I don't see anything currently available that wouldn't just add another UFA to our list.

They gave up a 2nd for Boyle though so I can see them doing something on D even it does add another UFA. Just a guess however

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I like the roster too, but there's still plenty of time to go. We'll see how the market materializes.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They gave up a 2nd for Boyle though so I can see them doing something on D even it does add another UFA. Just a guess however
They were hanging on to the last wild card spot though in a dogfight with 2 other teams in the first year of Matthews/Marner/Nylander mania.
If this team just plays .500 the rest of the way I don't see us falling out of 3rd.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
What a shocker. A GM who says they are totally fine with their roster. Even with teams that are terrible GMs aren't going to throw up the "we're open for business" sign that readily.

Will see what happens. Doubt Lou feels desperate to make a move, but no doubt he's trying to make something happen. Team is under performing and that blueline is still a mess.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What a shocker. A GM who says they are totally fine with their roster. Even with teams that are terrible GMs aren't going to throw up the "we're open for business" sign that readily.

Will see what happens. Doubt Lou feels desperate to make a move, but no doubt he's trying to make something happen. Team is under performing and that blueline is still a mess.

I know, I found that funny that a GM told the media, I'm happy with the work I've done, and its news. What would have been news is if Lou came out and said, I did a terrible job, should have never signed X player, I suck, I'm gonna retire now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
With more consistency after the break, this team could finish with 100+ points

Doubt that. And consistency is a pretty big "if" with this team. We are probably the most polarizing team in the NHL. Any given night we will lose bad to the worst team in the league, or kick the crap out of the best, more than any other team out there.

I still think the Leafs will sell. Even without their UFA's, they are making the playoffs. Can probably give Boston a good run for their money too, since we do have good guys available to replace the ones we sell. The Atlantic is weak outside of Tampa. The problem is going up against the teams not in the Atlantic, and barring any team shaking moves, I do not see that being a fight the Leafs can win even with your typical UFA additions. Will certainly give teams a run for their money, but just not enough there and not enough consistency to be a true threat yet.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nothing to be happy about with this team other than they are in a PO spot and Freddy is a boss...

The first month and a bit we played like unstructured idiots trying to pad stats. Freddy was hung out to dry and was struggling a bit.

The next segment, Freddy saved our collective asses because we could not score and were still not doing great defensively.

Now Freddy is playing pretty average hockey and the team is just putting along pretty much.

So to sum it all up, We are lucky to be in a weak ass division and to have Andersen in net. Defensively we are kinda sub par and offensively we have lines that are defensively inept. Sure you can cherry pick Matthews being about PPG etc but whatever. As a team? Happy? They are just OK!

Reactions: cookie

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nothing to be happy about with this team other than they are in a PO spot and Freddy is a boss...

The first month and a bit we played like unstructured idiots trying to pad stats. Freddy was hung out to dry and was struggling a bit.

The next segment, Freddy saved our collective asses because we could not score and were still not doing great defensively.

Now Freddy is playing pretty average hockey and the team is just putting along pretty much.

So to sum it all up, We are lucky to be in a weak ass division and to have Andersen in net. Defensively we are kinda sub par and offensively we have lines that are defensively inept. Sure you can cherry pick Matthews being about PPG etc but whatever. As a team? Happy? They are just OK!

Really you ask yourself: Would the Leafs be in the playoffs had they been in the Metro? Maybe a wildcard, but even that would be a struggle. Definitely not top 3.

As I said before, the Leafs should be in sell mode. None of the guys we'd sell are essential players, and there are Marlies or depth guys who are ready to step in to replace them.

JvR ---> Leivo. Obviously a downgrade, but if JvR returns what I think he can, it's well worth it. Leivo is also a good player who plays even better when he's around high end players.
Bozak ---> Kapanen (Nylander/Marleau to center). Quite possibly an upgrade, at least defensively.
Komarov ---> Soshnikov. Probably not a huge drop off if Soshnikov plays 3rd line with Marleau and Kadri.
Polak ---> Marincin (or trusting rookies with more responsibilities). Probably not a huge drop off, even though Marincin is not as physical.
Moore ---> Gauthier (essentially has already happened). Gauthier may also be better than Moore.

Maybe a goalie, Carrick or some less important depth pieces are shipped out too, but you do not even need to do that. This team may not even be much worse off with those changes, or could even spark things and make them a better team, and you are probably looking at 2 1sts, 2 2nd's, and maybe a couple of mid-rounders depending upon the market and whether we retain/package certain guys.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Really you ask yourself: Would the Leafs be in the playoffs had they been in the Metro? Maybe a wildcard, but even that would be a struggle. Definitely not top 3.

As I said before, the Leafs should be in sell mode. None of the guys we'd sell are essential players, and there are Marlies or depth guys who are ready to step in to replace them.

JvR ---> Leivo. Obviously a downgrade, but if JvR returns what I think he can, it's well worth it. Leivo is also a good player who plays even better when he's around high end players.
Bozak ---> Kapanen (Nylander/Marleau to center). Quite possibly an upgrade, at least defensively.
Komarov ---> Soshnikov. Probably not a huge drop off if Soshnikov plays 3rd line with Marleau and Kadri.
Polak ---> Marincin (or trusting rookies with more responsibilities). Probably not a huge drop off, even though Marincin is not as physical.
Moore ---> Gauthier (essentially has already happened). Gauthier may also be better than Moore.

Maybe a goalie, Carrick or some less important depth pieces are shipped out too, but you do not even need to do that. This team may not even be much worse off with those changes, or could even spark things and make them a better team, and you are probably looking at 2 1sts, 2 2nd's, and maybe a couple of mid-rounders depending upon the market and whether we retain/package certain guys.

Oh I agree, if they want to really get some big return for the future and put that into a package, just trade Hainsey retained 1m for the 2 years as well. We are very much on the same page but I would explore moving Hainsey as well if his value at that money is there. 2-3 1sts +++ could set us up for contending for a decade. All that matters is how you deal with the proceeds.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lou’s interviews are always a waste of time. He either doesn’t say anything or just gives generic statements.

I doubt they make a big trade, but I think they may try to add a 4C that Babcock will play more than 6-7 min a night. And if a potential top 4 rental (je a Hainsey type) becomes available they may make a move there if the price is reasonable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad