TSN: Lou Lam happy with the roster

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
what's your point?
for the record, Percy never looked as good as Dermott. And even if he did, that's not reason to not give Dermott more games
My point is often players look good for a few games then reality sets in. And yes Percy looked as good for a short stretch.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
he doesn't really know much from what I've seen
if you like the team so much, why are you so ready to believe it's full of lazy guys who can't put any effort in? teenagers/young adults don't get to be near the top of their profession without trying very hard

Yeah, some of the young guys are going through some developmental growing pains (like almost every prospect) but I don’t think that necessarily indicates laziness

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
While the article is blah what is entertaining is that Tank Nation has been replaced by Playoff Tank Nation.

"Let's make our roster worse for the playoffs and get draft picks". ROFL.

Auston Matthews "So uh Lou, I'm not into this 8 year idea, you pulled the rug out from under us when we could have done some damage in the playoffs this year. Kind of a *****ebag move"

Lou "Auston you just do not understand my brilliant plan. Yes last year we got you Boyle as a reward for your hard work to show you guys we believe in you but this year we are rewarding you for doing even by better by showing you we don't."

Auston Matthews "That makes no ****ing sense Lou, that's bull****!"

Lou " Calm down Auston. It's easy to win the Cup so we are only going to really try when the roster is 100% perfect. Until then we are going to trade good players for draft picks so we can brag about our prospect pool on HF boards."

Auston Matthews "You realise no one will want to play here with that kind of attitude?"

Lou "Let me tell you about my hero Harold Ballard. He taught me the important thing is to just squeak into the playoffs so you can get playoff revenue for a round, we don't really care what the fans or our players think."

Auston Matthews " I'd like a trade. "

Lou "I've been working on Auston because your value will never be higher, as soon as I can get a good package of draft picks for you you're gone, we only want guys who will buy into the program."

Omg. Yes. Of course.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
My point is often players look good for a few games then reality sets in. And yes Percy looked as good for a short stretch.
and often players look good for a long time (like Dermott has since last year) and continue it because they're good players. And no, he's never been as good as Dermott. Especially not at the same age.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Who is pulling the rug on anyone? The team could sell of their UFA's and still make some noise in the playoffs. The core of this team is still there, and if the Leafs really wanted to they could use those assets to acquire someone with a little bit of term who can help now. This team should not be stocking up draft picks necessarily, but trading away UFA's and not buying UFA's /= tanking.

I think Auston is smart. I think he knows the state of this team. I think in the end of the day he wants a Cup, and a legitimate Cup run. He does not want to be Ovechkin. He wants to be Crosby. You have to make the right moves for the betterment of you club, and sometimes that involves taking one step back now for three steps forward in the (near) future.
I think Auston is smart too. I bet he knows anything can happen once you make the post season and the better your team is the better your chances are.

You are advocating making the team worse, it's just that simple. For all you know we plan to resign JVR. What are you going to get for Bozak and Komo? a 2nd and 2 3rds? maybe a bit more? We aren't short on draft picks, we aren't short on prospects and we are running out of contracts. You do not see the value in playoff experience and meaningful games, fine.

You're hung up on asset management, it's an easy trap to fall into. At some point though you have to come to terms with experience being worth assets. You may not agree but rare is the professional athlete who does not want the best chance to win. Our guys need playoff experience. I think the average fan would happily give up a 2nd and 2 3rd for an extra round. I bet all the players would too.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Based on what Lou said he isn't buying or selling. Meaning a deal for Jvr or Bozak needs to help now. Although a first for Jvr from Calgary/ Burke might catch his eye.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Based on what Lou said he isn't buying or selling. Meaning a deal for Jvr or Bozak needs to help now. Although a first for Jvr from Calgary/ Burke might catch his eye.
Calgary doesn't have their first. It would need to be next year's. Personally I wouldn't move JVR if the best we can hope for is a later first round pick.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's lying you can't look of that bottom pair mis mash of Polak/Carrick/Borgman and go "Yup that's good enough I am good with that."

and now Zaitzev is hurt so it's an even bigger problem because now Carrick and Polak are seeing time in the top 4 and surprise surprise that's failed

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He's lying you can't look of that bottom pair mis mash of Polak/Carrick/Borgman and go "Yup that's good enough I am good with that."

and now Zaitzev is hurt so it's an even bigger problem because now Carrick and Polak are seeing time in the top 4 and surprise surprise that's failed

I mean the full quote is:

“I certainly like our roster,” Lamoriello told Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun. “I think it’s solid. We’ll have to wait and see what is transpiring, but you’re never good enough.
“To do something for the sake of doing something is never a good thing. [When describing a possible trade] You don’t even want to use the word substantial. Sometimes the smallest things become the biggest.
"There is constant communication right up until the trade deadline, all teams are doing that. We’re no different than anyone else.”

So he's not lying. He's just being coy. He's trying to preserve leverage in trade negotiations. And rightfully so because the Leafs aren't in any sort of desperation to make a move. Patience is key especially at the deadline when GM's get crazy.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I mean the full quote is:

So he's not lying. He's just being coy. He's trying to preserve leverage in trade negotiations. And rightfully so because the Leafs aren't in any sort of desperation to make a move. Patience is key especially at the deadline when GM's get crazy.

Playing hardball while the team is still building means that when it comes time to actually make a splash for a big piece, there is credibility to the thread of walking from the deal vs someone like Chia who seems to make deals based on whatever is offered first. Lou would rather go into the playoffs with the same roster than lose a trade. Leaf fans should be happy after previous management would make bad deals under media and fan pressure.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I'm with the crowd that says this is an absolutely "say nothing" presser.

Lou will make any deal at any time if he thinks it's a good one.

No players are safe and no players can be interpreted to be on their way out either. Having said that, some players are obviously safer than others. But that's not news.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
People talk about a core of 7 to build on. I think we can we good about that group anyway we want to group them. 3-4 years from now we will see some additions and subtractions but the core of Willy, Matthews , Mitch, Mo and Andersen willy be here! We have MANY on the team and in the hopper that could fill out the core 7.

Having said that, the most exciting point is the building of the brand of the Maple Leafs!! Collectively management have done an outstanding job of making the Leafs a first class organization and a more desirable destination that both rookies and established players want to join.

It's a great time to be a fan!! Glad they're back on the ice and we can attack the 2nd half of the season which looks a lot better than what they've been through in the 1st half!!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If we can get a good, reliable 2nd pairing dman, or a strong 4C, FOR A REASONABLE PRICE. then we should pull the trigger, those are two significant needs for this team.

However, if the price isn’t right, I’m happy sticking with what we have. We’ll likely be playing Boston in the 1st round, and I think we’re underdogs in that matchup, but only slight underdogs, we’ll have a good shot at winning the series.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
actions speak louder than words

LL knows this and that's why he plays his cards close to the vest and lets his actions speak for themselves which is why he has lasted as long as he has . Burke used to do his best to sell the sizzle because he knew he was too incompetent to deliver the steak and when his incompetence catches up with him he moves on too another town to work his schtick (outside of the one lucky run he had with the Ducks where he was left with a loaded prospect cupboard)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad