Post-Game Talk: Lost to Carolina 1:2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, I can see Shanny being kept on with some of his GM powers taken away. One can hope. I mean what else do we have after 56 years of incompetence and the milking of the best fan base in hockey?
The really sad fact is that most fans are more than happy with the mediocre team and lack of playoff success, drives me nuts, but that’s Leaf Nation in a nutshell………

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, I can see Shanny being kept on with some of his GM powers taken away. One can hope. I mean what else do we have after 56 years of incompetence and the milking of the best fan base in hockey?
What are Shanny's 'GM powers'?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Had it been a win, it would have no bearing on playoff success.
Wrong, I wasn't happy after the Edmonton Oilers game after allowing Edmonton to come almost with 1 goal after a 5-0 lead (nuge hit the post). Up 5-0 you should be able to comfortably defend hard and well to not give them any life. They also lost the specials teams battle in that game as well.

At this time of the year, especially being locked into 3rd spot, the W/L don't matter, it's how the team is playing and if it's sustainable in winning a cup.. Toronto sitting at a 75% PK is not sustainable in the playoffs. Their 6 on 4 powerplay they had against Carolina is also not a good sign.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm guessing he approves many of the decisions made by the GM (ask Kyle about Shanny not wanting to trade Knies. Who do you think decided they were not moving one of the 3 amigos this summer?
I imagine all teams make major decisions as a group and I doubt that would change.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Everyone who plays with Brodie ends up looking bad .. while it did not affect last night outcome if Keefer just subs Benoit for Brodie our team becomes a much more complete playoff D .. I realize Brodie is going through a TON in his life and like most I feel for him .. but we need to get our D pairs going to get ready for playoff mode .. also last night watching on TV I don't think Lily is ready to handle playoff hockey especially running a PP .. he is not assertive enough and flat out is getting beat on loose pucks way too much .. bottom line it comes down to Lily and/or Brodie to me for 6th, and last spot, on D and right now tie goes to vet .. Lily is just not ready yet .. I wish he was but he isnt
The problem is they can’t play Brodie on the right side anymore. So it’s Lilly or Timmins on RD and Benoit over Brodie on LD.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
i will ask you one question.

The fact Brodie was looking worst last 2 season, it is really a result of his decline or its just the fact than with Muzzin injury, he had to took Muzzin spot in the line up and he was struggling to replace Muzzin?

If you taking anyone in this line up and asking him to replace Muzzin like we did with Brodie, no body having ability to do this...You will just shoot a guy under the bus because you just dont have any #2 D in your line up, so you cant expect anyone would playing like a #2. Its a pretty sad reality for the leafs
Brodie hasn’t been a #2D for over a year. And on on better teams he would have been a middle pairing dman. Now he’s basically unplayable. His biggest weapons a quick stick and feet have left him and his complete lack of physicality is a bigger issue now

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
what your dont understand in the fact who your playing against and in wich kind of situation will affect your game.

Liljegren who starting the most offensive faceoff against weaker opposition most of the time have better chance to look good than a guu who started the 2nd most defensive faceoff amount all leafs against the toughest opposition amount all D... its not the same challenge... if you cant understand that part, you certainly never played a team sport of your life.
Liljegren plays RD and Brodie plays LD. Benoit replaces Brodie on LD. McCabe - Brodie has been Leafs most consistent pairing. Brodie is a defensive liability.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Yeah probably from your couch, your probably better to know this than all the people in leafs organisation who had been chosen over thunsand of people working in hockey world.

its always funny read people who think they're smarter than people already there
-Keefe using him like leafs #2
-Treliving didn't traded him last summer or at TDL
-and nobody raise the red flag with him anywhere. For you, hes doesn't deserve to still in NHL, they should be all fool!!!! They should fire everyone and hiring you!

-brodie had been used like leafs #2 since Muzzin injury : its a fact
-playing more time against top opposite line vs bottom line its harder : its a fact
-Brodie played the toughest matchup amount all leafs D since 3 years : its also a fact.

So you can think whatever you want and thinking your smarter than actual people in leafs organisation whos using a 7/8th like a #2, that will change absolutly nothing.

Ps you can respond but its my last call, i dont think this discussion can go anywhere.
Things change. Last year, two years ago are no longer relevant. Brodie has lost two steps and can no longer play the way he used to. His lack of physicality is also a huge issue now that his active stick and decisions with the puck have regressed. It’s smart, tough lineup decisions that can make or break a team in the playoffs. Benoit is better than Brodie now and should be in the playoff lineup.

The really sad fact is that most fans are more than happy with the mediocre team and lack of playoff success, drives me nuts, but that’s Leaf Nation in a nutshell………
I would say those are Newbie fans. Most of us who’ve been watching this team the last 20-60 years definitely think otherwise.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I know Maurice is hated here, but he’s ten times the coach Keefe is
I don't know if I'd say 10 times; he's definitely 10 times the whiner Keefe is, though. But Maurice isn't THAT great a coach; he fell into some really good situations. We saw how great a coach Maurice was when we had him as our head coach (0 playoff appearances, but rarely if ever drafted under 10). Anyone remember top 6 forward Bates Battaglia? And his insistence on playing Jason Allison too much despite it being clear that post-lockdown his style of hockey was a liability?

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
This is a game that could have been very different with a healthy Marner. Mitch helps out the PP and PK, and he brings some energy and pop on offense. The PK has been in panic mode without him.

If he was healthy and playing, they'd have gotten a win there. Just a few shifts would have made the difference.

Reactions: ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We need to maximize Rielly in the playoffs - as much as he can take. Carry the group as he has.

My thinking is Lily suits up but Rielly steals minutes. We need some defenseman that can move the puck up the ice and a sheltered and fresh Lily may be able to provide that function in a limited role when poor Rielly gets tired.

We need to luck into some upside and I don't see that coming from Brodie. Pretty solid 7th though, plays both sides - well rested when we need him which we probably will at some point.
For me I play Reilly 30 minutes a night .. lets ride our horse .. rest him now if you have too .. i do not trust Lily against playoff teams .. he is just not ready ..every time he plays a playoff team he looks overwhelmed .. bottom line Boosh and Edmunston can line up with Rielly .. Brodie can play very limited minutes on 3rd pair .. look at Tampa they rode their horse Hedman 30+ minutes a night

Reactions: Ports and LeafEgo

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think we saw a lot of why Keefe doesn't appear to like Robertson, yes he had the goal but he also took a dumb penalty, and had an AWFUL giveaway.

Robertson had a rough game against Carolina, significantly more bad than good.

Reactions: ACC1224

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Wrong, I wasn't happy after the Edmonton Oilers game after allowing Edmonton to come almost with 1 goal after a 5-0 lead (nuge hit the post). Up 5-0 you should be able to comfortably defend hard and well to not give them any life. They also lost the specials teams battle in that game as well.

At this time of the year, especially being locked into 3rd spot, the W/L don't matter, it's how the team is playing and if it's sustainable in winning a cup.. Toronto sitting at a 75% PK is not sustainable in the playoffs. Their 6 on 4 powerplay they had against Carolina is also not a good sign.
Yes. Wrong.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Things change. Last year, two years ago are no longer relevant. Brodie has lost two steps and can no longer play the way he used to. His lack of physicality is also a huge issue now that his active stick and decisions with the puck have regressed. It’s smart, tough lineup decisions that can make or break a team in the playoffs. Benoit is better than Brodie now and should be in the playoff lineup.

I would say those are Newbie fans. Most of us who’ve been watching this team the last 20-60 years definitely think otherwise.
Brodie hasn’t been a #2D for over a year. And on on better teams he would have been a middle pairing dman. Now he’s basically unplayable. His biggest weapons a quick stick and feet have left him and his complete lack of physicality is a bigger issue now

sorry brodie had been clear #2 over 80% of last 2 year. Maybe the last 15-20 games, mccabe started to take that seed but its the max... thats doesn't he was at #2 level but just how he had been used. and yes on good team he would be at best a #3 or 4th and thats exactly the problem i was talking about. Since Muzzin injury, leafs didn't had that #2 so they need to use a 3rd/4th dman in the wrong chair and ask him to play like a real #2. Ask him to play like a 4tb/5th. He will get the job done

Leafs need a clear #2 and probably a 3rd dmen too... now they are playing with a bunch of 4/5/6/7th dmen. No body individually is enough good to be a top 3 dmen ( maybe mccabe as #3). The only way leafs can overcome this is as a group.

and honestly inliked what Benoit did for the leafs with his salary but honestly i think what he did this season is worst than what Holl did last season, a guy everyone wanted to be gone. It is the novelty effect with him? i dont know... His potential is maybe higher but his actual game is not. probably next season he will get a full time spot on the line up on 3rd pair

So yes at the end at the end i think try to bring back some confidence in brodie game by reset his mind, reducing his work load and try to raise a little bit work load of everyone, mccabe, edmundson, liljegren, Lyubushkin... As a group, its the best way to overcome a huge hole in this D group ( like exemple what pittsburgh did in 2016-2017)

Reactions: Ports

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
sorry brodie had been clear #2 over 80% of last 2 year.
Yes, mostly because he's being paid the second most of all the players on the blueline. If he wasn't making $5 million, he'd have been pressboxed by now, because guys at league minimum are outplaying him.

Reactions: notDatsyuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad