Post-Game Talk: Lost to Carolina 1:2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So you think Brodie is still a top 4 defender?

Perhaps if the other team doesn't forecheck he might make that classification, but otherwise he is no longer struggling. After a year of the same performance it isn't a struggle it is who he is in 2023 ... and now 2024.

hes still the dman who eat the most minutes against top opppsite player.

If hes not, leafs will need to find someone to replace him. Use this player in the wrong chair and whatever who leafs will choose, he will look worst exactly like Brodie...Its just not the same thing playing 22-23m a night vs top offensive weapon vs 13-14-15 min on a 3rd pair

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'm still in the keep Robertson camp. I know he's got a lot to learn, but I also think he's got a lot more upside to him, too. Personally, I'm starting to think his biggest hurdle right now if Keefe.

It's not Keefe's fault that Robertson is abysmal without the puck and it's not Keefe's fault that he is the softest player on a very soft team.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
For the life of me, I cannot understand the Leaf's slavish dedication to the drop pass when approaching center ice during our PPs. It stalls any speed we could offer when entering the other team's zone, we lose time on the clock, we have players whose skills offer options, every team in the league is prepared for the play because it is so predictably, consistently, annoyingly presented.

As a tactic, it can be an effective way to utilize your PP. But, when it becomes a default setting, every team in the league will learn how to neutralize it. It is so frustrating to watch it time and again.

Couple that with their tendency to enter on the left side and pass to JT on the half wall. Teams are onto it and he gets doubled almost immediately and loses possession far too often.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So you think Brodie is still a top 4 defender?

Perhaps if the other team doesn't forecheck he might make that classification, but otherwise he is no longer struggling. After a year of the same performance it isn't a struggle it is who he is in 2023 ... and now 2024.

i will ask you one question.

The fact Brodie was looking worst last 2 season, it is really a result of his decline or its just the fact than with Muzzin injury, he had to took Muzzin spot in the line up and he was struggling to replace Muzzin?

If you taking anyone in this line up and asking him to replace Muzzin like we did with Brodie, no body having ability to do this...You will just shoot a guy under the bus because you just dont have any #2 D in your line up, so you cant expect anyone would playing like a #2. Its a pretty sad reality for the leafs

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Leafs are 16-15-7 against the East, barely a .500 team. Only Philly among the current playoff seed teams is worse.

Doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy.
Wish they were in the Western Conference this year.

Steamrolled that part of the schedule

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The ONLY positive I took from this game was our Leafs extending their 'NO SHUT OUT' streak.

Other than for Woll, and Robertson's goal, everything and everyone else, was just pure garbage.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's not Keefe's fault that Robertson is abysmal without the puck and it's not Keefe's fault that he is the softest player on a very soft team.

Except it's really not a soft team anymore, though I could understand that viewpoint if you stopped watching months ago.

Robertson needs development at some aspects of his defensive game, but is also excellent at other aspects. He's great at disrupting lanes on passes, anticipating, and he's top three on the team in takeaways for the amount of time on the ice. He's actually become better physically, and is quite effective when he chooses. His passing is very good, and his shot is elite. I think it's just a matter of time before he becomes a very effective depth piece for us.

We move him, and I guarantee we will have this forum posting away about how dumb our GM was to get rid of him.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Normally yes, but it's pretty disingenious to call this team soft. By any metric you can measure by

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Couple that with their tendency to enter on the left side and pass to JT on the half wall. Teams are onto it and he gets doubled almost immediately and loses possession far too often.
That entry play drives me NUTS! How many times do you have to see JT lose the puck on the wall soon after entry before you decide it's not a good idea? Seriously, can they at least try something else? It seems our best entries are the ones that come from broken plays because we don't telegraph what we are going to do.....madness I tell ya...madness.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Obvious from Keefes post game interview that he blames himself for the loss after the lineup change. Lets see if he has the stones to sit Brodie again.

Reactions: Al14 and rumman

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The fact Brodie was looking worst last 2 season, it is really a result of his decline or its just the fact than with Muzzin injury, he had to took Muzzin spot in the line up and he was struggling to replace Muzzin?

If you taking anyone in this line up and asking him to replace Muzzin like we did with Brodie, no body having ability to do this...You will just shoot a guy under the bus because you just dont have any #2 D in your line up, so you cant expect anyone would playing like a #2. Its a pretty sad reality for the leafs
Brodie wasn't trying to replace Muzzin... Brodie was trying to be Rielly's partner, which Muzzin never was.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Carolina Penalty killing was insane. Like I was watching their formations and their positioning.

Carolina is the definition of a team who's very good at attention to detail. They're that type of team
Yep, and the Leafs are the very antithesis of that.

Players can't learn or coaches can't teach?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Except it's really not a soft team anymore, though I could understand that viewpoint if you stopped watching months ago.

Robertson needs development at some aspects of his defensive game, but is also excellent at other aspects. He's great at disrupting lanes on passes, anticipating, and he's top three on the team in takeaways for the amount of time on the ice. He's actually become better physically, and is quite effective when he chooses. His passing is very good, and his shot is elite. I think it's just a matter of time before he becomes a very effective depth piece for us.

We move him, and I guarantee we will have this forum posting away about how dumb our GM was to get rid of him.
Robertson has confidence problems, and it all stems from how he’s been you-you’d and used.

Now he’s focused on scoring to stay in the lineup whereas his focus should be not being a liability on the ice.

Hes still a kid who feels like he needs to score every shift because he’s afraid of being sent down. Kind of hard to do anything with confidence when that’s what your prevailing thought is every shift.

It feels like he’s been put in a lousy situation for anyone to succeed in. Add to it that it’s pretty Botha Keefe isn’t a fan, and I get why Robertson is doing what he’s doing.

Put someone in a constant state of fight or flight, you aren’t going to get someone make the best decisions.

At least the kid shows up to fight, which can’t be said for all of our forwards…..

Really tired of looking at Brodie and Edmundson is looking like the better addition than Boosh so far.

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
Hate to say it, but this team has first round exit written all over it.

And it's special teams that are going to be our downfall yet again.
I hope you're wrong as I'm sure all of us are, but we're seeing too many games like this where the effort just isn't there. Is it entirely possible for then to find another gear in the playoffs? Sure. Anything's possible, but there's nothing in their past to suggest that that's going to happen.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That entry play drives me NUTS! How many times do you have to see JT lose the puck on the wall soon after entry before you decide it's not a good idea? Seriously, can they at least try something else? It seems our best entries are the ones that come from broken plays because we don't telegraph what we are going to do.....madness I tell ya...madness.
Plus the absolute stubbornness to try anything else. You'll literally see that entry fail 3 times in a row only for them to try it a 4th time. Utterly infuriating.

Didn't the Leafs already change the special teams coaching this last offseason? Seems like they've only doubled down on what hasn't worked.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

No. He still plays his game, but age has caught up on him, and he can't do it as well as he used to. Simple fact, no excuses needed.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Since the team lost, it is an excellent indicator of playoff potential.
To me, this is how the playoffs will go for the leafs, close game where we don't capitalize on chances, and proceed to get "goalied" for the 3rd? time in the playoffs, and then lose the game because our powerplay is not clutch and our PK is bottom 5 in the league for a reason.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC

He's not really soft; certainly not the softest guy on the team. He definitely has areas in his game that need a lot of work and unlikely will be resolved under Keefe.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Brodie wasn't trying to replace Muzzin... Brodie was trying to be Rielly's partner, which Muzzin never was.

whats Muzzin was doing? Playing against top opposite line with his partner whatever who he was

Since his injury ? Who was playing against top opposite line with his partner whatever who he was? Brodie

so sorry yes thats look pretty similar to replace Muzzin impact

Brodie is not just Rielly partner because its certainly not rielly who played the biggest pair on shutdown top opposite line

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad