Post-Game Talk: Lost to Carolina 1:2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
To me, this is how the playoffs will go for the leafs, close game where we don't capitalize on chances, and proceed to get "goalied" for the 3rd? time in the playoffs, and then lose the game because our powerplay is not clutch and our PK is bottom 5 in the league for a reason.
Had it been a win, it would have no bearing on playoff success.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
i will ask you one question.

The fact Brodie was looking worst last 2 season, it is really a result of his decline or its just the fact than with Muzzin injury, he had to took Muzzin spot in the line up and he was struggling to replace Muzzin?

If you taking anyone in this line up and asking him to replace Muzzin like we did with Brodie, no body having ability to do this...You will just shoot a guy under the bus because you just dont have any #2 D in your line up, so you cant expect anyone would playing like a #2. Its a pretty sad reality for the leafs
Brodie has sucked since late last season, you can find all the excuses in the world for this, but it doesn’t make the fact any less significant, every time he’s on the ice he’s a defensive black hole………

Except it's really not a soft team anymore, though I could understand that viewpoint if you stopped watching months ago.

Robertson needs development at some aspects of his defensive game, but is also excellent at other aspects. He's great at disrupting lanes on passes, anticipating, and he's top three on the team in takeaways for the amount of time on the ice. He's actually become better physically, and is quite effective when he chooses. His passing is very good, and his shot is elite. I think it's just a matter of time before he becomes a very effective depth piece for us.

We move him, and I guarantee we will have this forum posting away about how dumb our GM was to get rid of him.
Leaf are definitely tougher than they’ve been, but if they face Florida they are still a featherweight team playing a heavyweight team………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Obvious from Keefes post game interview that he blames himself for the loss after the lineup change. Lets see if he has the stones to sit Brodie again.
I have little faith in Keefe being smart enough to sit Brodie, I mean the guy won’t be back why the kidd gloves treatment is beyond me. He’s personally cost this team games this year………

Keefe will pay the price if this is the case. Hopefully Shanny will as well.
Your optimism is ever encouraging, but no way the Leaf’s problems just disappear, more pain to follow imo……..

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Brodie has sucked since late last season, you can find all the excuses in the world for this, but it doesn’t make the fact any less significant, every time he’s on the ice he’s a defensive black hole………

Leaf are definitely tougher than they’ve been, but if they face Florida they are still a featherweight team playing a heavyweight team………

you will send down brodie in line up and move up exemple liljegren, mccabe or whatever, they will all start to suck because nobody in leafs D having the tool to be a real #2 and really shutdown top opposite line and you will see Brodie game raising because what it will be asking eill not be as high!!!

I think its the part people here dont understand. Put anyone you want in the wrong chair long term, he will finish to struggle, its a guarantee

Did brodie playing in the wrong chair since 2 year? the answer is yes
Did that impact his game on the ice? for sure no doubt about it

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It was way worse last night during the game.

Edit - Actually it might be the same. I just logged in no problem but moving to a new page is a bit of a challenge
I was ready to never come back after a few very frustrating visits to this site and then I put ad***ck on and everything works so much better. I wouldn't mind having ads so as to help the site but the lag is so bad that it just ruins the experience. Is it because the page is overloaded with too many ads? I dont have the same issues on other sites with ads.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021

We are definitely a tougher team than we have been but the core guys are still soft. Panthers top guys are not soft. I am a little nervous about that part when push comes to shove.

Reactions: Ports

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He's not really soft; certainly not the softest guy on the team. He definitely has areas in his game that need a lot of work and unlikely will be resolved under Keefe.

We can agree to disagree on that. I see a lot of softness in his game and would be happy to see the Leafs move on from him. The last thing this roster needs is a soft top six forward. Literally the last thing they should add, IMO.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I have little faith in Keefe being smart enough to sit Brodie, I mean the guy won’t be back why the kidd gloves treatment is beyond me. He’s personally cost this team games this year………

Your optimism is ever encouraging, but no way the Leaf’s problems just disappear, more pain to follow imo……..
Yeah, I can see Shanny being kept on with some of his GM powers taken away. One can hope. I mean what else do we have after 56 years of incompetence and the milking of the best fan base in hockey?

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
you will send down brodie in line up and move up exemple liljegren, mccabe or whatever, they will all start to suck because nobody in leafs D having the tool to be a real #2 and really shutdown top opposite line and you will see Brodie game raising because what it will be asking eill not be as high!!!

I think its the part people here dont understand. Put anyone you want in the wrong chair long term, he will finish to struggle, its a guarantee

Did brodie playing in the wrong chair since 2 year? the answer is yes
Did that impact his game on the ice? for sure no doubt about it
What you don't seem to understand is that no matter where you play him, he is no longer a good NHL defenceman. You can make all the excuses you want, but that's the simple fact.

Reactions: Ports and arso40

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
What you don't seem to understand is that no matter where you play him, he is no longer a good NHL defenceman. You can make all the excuses you want, but that's the simple fact.

what your dont understand in the fact who your playing against and in wich kind of situation will affect your game.

Liljegren who starting the most offensive faceoff against weaker opposition most of the time have better chance to look good than a guu who started the 2nd most defensive faceoff amount all leafs against the toughest opposition amount all D... its not the same challenge... if you cant understand that part, you certainly never played a team sport of your life.

• Haha

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I always thought he was saying hit em with the floor or something.

What's the 4?

not that it matter LOL. I guess i'm an old guy now.

I assume someone already answered but if not, that commercial uses a song that was released not long after Matthews' debut game when he scored 4 goals. Actually, even typing that still gives me chills. What an introduction to the league.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This is one of those. “Well I’m okay with the loss “ loss

B2b. Random mash of new pairs. Solid opponent.

Move on, figure out the D pairs - stat. And roll with them until playoffs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
what your dont understand in the fact who your playing against and in wich kind of situation will affect your game.

Liljegren who starting the most offensive faceoff against weaker opposition most of the time have better chance to look good than a guu who started the 2nd most defensive faceoff amount all leafs against the toughest opposition amount all D... its not the same challenge... if you cant understand that part, you certainly never played a team sport of your life.
I realize that just fine - the point is that, regardless of how you play him, he can't do it well enough at the NHL level.

I've been playing hockey, mainly as a defenceman, for over 60 years, and have done a fair bit of coaching. I understand completely, but I also understand that it is irrelevant, as is your thinly veiled insult.

Reactions: Ports and arso40

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Everyone who plays with Brodie ends up looking bad .. while it did not affect last night outcome if Keefer just subs Benoit for Brodie our team becomes a much more complete playoff D .. I realize Brodie is going through a TON in his life and like most I feel for him .. but we need to get our D pairs going to get ready for playoff mode .. also last night watching on TV I don't think Lily is ready to handle playoff hockey especially running a PP .. he is not assertive enough and flat out is getting beat on loose pucks way too much .. bottom line it comes down to Lily and/or Brodie to me for 6th, and last spot, on D and right now tie goes to vet .. Lily is just not ready yet .. I wish he was but he isnt
We need to maximize Rielly in the playoffs - as much as he can take. Carry the group as he has.

My thinking is Lily suits up but Rielly steals minutes. We need some defenseman that can move the puck up the ice and a sheltered and fresh Lily may be able to provide that function in a limited role when poor Rielly gets tired.

We need to luck into some upside and I don't see that coming from Brodie. Pretty solid 7th though, plays both sides - well rested when we need him which we probably will at some point.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I realize that just fine - the point is that, regardless of how you play him, he can't do it well enough at the NHL level.

I've been playing hockey, mainly as a defenceman, for over 60 years, and have done a fair bit of coaching. I understand completely, but I also understand that it is irrelevant, as is your thinly veiled insult.

In your mind its the same thing playing in your defensive vs a mcdavid where you only need 0.5 late and its already too late than playing against Ryan mcleod starting in the offensive end?!?!?!

So if basically how dman is used doesn't matter, thats basically what you said in other words...Brodie is always the 1st guy send on the ice when those player step in and thats the only way he had been used last 2 season...

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I assume someone already answered but if not, that commercial uses a song that was released not long after Matthews' debut game when he scored 4 goals. Actually, even typing that still gives me chills. What an introduction to the league.
Of course I remember the game.

Just never knew anything about that song. I thought it was an Uber east jingle hahaha.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
In your mind its the same thing playing in your defensive vs a mcdavid where you only need 0.5 late and its already too late than playing against Ryan mcleod starting in the offensive end?!?!?!

So if basically how dman is used doesn't matter, thats basically what you said in other words...Brodie is always the 1st guy send on the ice when those player step in and thats the only way he had been used last 2 season...
How you came up with that from my post I have no idea - that is absolutely and completely different from what I said.

I'll try one more time - I said it doesn't matter for him, because regardless of how he is used, he isn't good NHL calibre any more.

If you can't understand that, maybe an ESL course is in order.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
How you came up with that from my post I have no idea - that is absolutely and completely different from what I said.

I'll try one more time - I said it doesn't matter for him, because regardless of how he is used, he isn't good NHL calibre any more.

If you can't understand that, maybe an ESL course is in order.

Yeah probably from your couch, your probably better to know this than all the people in leafs organisation who had been chosen over thunsand of people working in hockey world.

its always funny read people who think they're smarter than people already there
-Keefe using him like leafs #2
-Treliving didn't traded him last summer or at TDL
-and nobody raise the red flag with him anywhere. For you, hes doesn't deserve to still in NHL, they should be all fool!!!! They should fire everyone and hiring you!

-brodie had been used like leafs #2 since Muzzin injury : its a fact
-playing more time against top opposite line vs bottom line its harder : its a fact
-Brodie played the toughest matchup amount all leafs D since 3 years : its also a fact.

So you can think whatever you want and thinking your smarter than actual people in leafs organisation whos using a 7/8th like a #2, that will change absolutly nothing.

Ps you can respond but its my last call, i dont think this discussion can go anywhere.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
This loss was entirely on decisions Keefe made before the game even started. The team just strung together two good wins after a couple of letdown losses, and looked like they were getting into a scoring and defensive groove, and what does Keefe do? EXACTLY what we're all worried he's going to do in the playoffs; revert to the players and lineups that weren't working earlier in the season, just to confirm that no, Bertuzzi and Tavares still don't work together and no, Brodie still isn't playing well enough to be in any smart team's top 6 right now.

When the playoffs start, the SECOND the Leafs start sputtering (or even at f***ing random), guarantee Keefe costs them a game or two with stupid lineup decisions everyone but him have figured out are bad ideas. Don't be surprised if we start the playoffs with Edmundson and Boosh in the press box while Brodie and Gio start, because Keefe thinks the Leafs need to start with a "fast defense"... Betting we see Knies-Matthews-Marner and Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander at least once in the playoffs, too.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I'd say they are more physical at the forward position, and we are more physical on the D side.. It will be an interesting battle, and we will see more of how that plays out in the next week or so, as we do play them two more times in the regular season.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yeah probably from your couch, your probably better to know this than all the people in leafs organisation who had been chosen over thunsand of people working in hockey world.

its always funny read people who think they're smarter than people already there
-Keefe using him like leafs #2
-Treliving didn't traded him last summer or at TDL
-and nobody raise the red flag with him anywhere. For you, hes doesn't deserve to still in NHL, they should be all fool!!!! They should fire everyone and hiring you!

-brodie had been used like leafs #2 since Muzzin injury : its a fact
-playing more time against top opposite line vs bottom line its harder : its a fact
-Brodie played the toughest matchup amount all leafs D since 3 years : its also a fact.

So you can think whatever you want and thinking your smarter than actual people in leafs organisation whos using a 7/8th like a #2, that will change absolutly nothing.

Ps you can respond but its my last call, i dont think this discussion can go anywhere.
Your childish insults aren't necessary, or appreciated.

I wonder if the fact that he was not great last year and carrying a $5M cap hit made him untradeable?

I wonder if the fact that we had limited options on defence earlier in the year made playing him necessary?

I wonder if the fact that numerous people have raised the red flag but you haven't noticed is relevant?

But I do agree with one thing you said: the Leafs organization has been using a 7/8 like a #2. Now they should use him as the 7/8 that he now is, and use him only if one of the better defencemen is injured.

I admire your support for him, but if you're not willing to accept the facts, this conversation is pointless.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'd say they are more physical at the forward position, and we are more physical on the D side.. It will be an interesting battle, and we will see more of how that plays out in the next week or so, as we do play them two more times in the regular season.
Panthers are just a far more rounded team imo, and I know Maurice is hated here, but he’s ten times the coach Keefe is and that will be a definite advantage for Florida…….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad