Post-Game Talk: Loss

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wish I could find the video but I recall him doing something very similar in a Grand Rapids like 3 or 4 years ago. Just goes for a line change and leaves a guy for a breakaway. Looks like he still hasn't learned.

oh god, I remember that now. It was worse than what he did tonight.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quality scoring chances at Even strentgh
DET - FLO 10-5

Quality scoring chances at Power-Play
DET - FLO 2-10

Without that penalty show, we could have easily take this home. Panthers looked really dangerous only on PP. Paper tiger at even strength.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I thought it was a cool idea when the Panther played it all the way back to Luongo for the change in OT. Smart play.

"Dumping it deep" and changing in OT? Not a smart play.

Oh, and Tatar needs someone yelling at him all the time. If you can't do it, Blash, get one of your assistants to berate Tatar constantly.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I thought it was a cool idea when the Panther played it all the way back to Luongo for the change in OT. Smart play.

Oh, and Tatar needs someone yelling at him all the time. If you can't do it, Blash, get one of your assistants to berate Tatar constantly.

It looks to me like Tatar has just given up. Well oh **** nothing is going in dammit. Poor me.

Suck it up and play better. He's costing himself money is what he's doing.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
Someone please fire blashill or smack that damn smug look off his face and tell him he has a job to do. Why the flip are you putting LGD on the top six while Jurco is on the 4th line when they are meant for each others roles. Oh and someone tell Holland to do something. We don't need defense. We need scoring punch. Can't win many games scorong 2 goals or less

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It was a decent game...for the AHL! :laugh: No it was cool. Many have cried to give our prospects a shot- they're Wings now the wheel keeps spinning. A 1/2 empty building, Florida their last game at JLA on a Thursday night, can't forget these times. I love the camera angles from JLA, on the wall just above the lower bowl, so perfect. For a broken down dump we are are witnessing the last days of the 2nd oldest arena in the NHL, I'm appreciating that aspect of the season.

The Wings put in a good effort, a win wouldn't have been undeserved (despite the usual 2-1 shot differential). They created a few very nice set-ups which is what I'm dying to see. I agree with others Vanek is the one slowing things down and "reminding" the guys of Red Wings hockey, the quality. Nielsen, Larkin, Green, Vanek, Nyquist, Mantha, Z, true stars tonight they showed they are worth watching ...then Tatar, Ott, Sproul, ETC. our team was competitive.

If the boys can put together an entertaining and respectable performance (which I think the Wings are capable of) I will be satisfied. The team is transforming every day it's impossible to say where we end up. Hope the fans like hopping trains this year is a crazy trip.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Yeah, when Luke Glendening is matching you point for point while playing 4 minutes less per game... man. Is Miller injured or something? At least he can PK.

Nope, he's just the worst player currently rostered by a professional hockey team. Almost anyone can limit shooting lanes, get hit with the puck, and ice it when the puck touches their stick, so there's a reason why it's typically marginal forwards killing PIMS. But yea, if the Wings keep taking penalties, his negative ES value might be lessened by all the PK situations.

Outside of Dan Cleary, I can't think of a player in the organization I want on the active roster less than Miller. They need to be bringing guys with waiver exemption up to see what they have to offer. I understand that the system is pretty limited given current call-ups, a lack of talent, and guys pinched by not having waiver status, but that's one of the issues plaguing this organization (ELC and prospect mismanagement). It's literally insane to keep it up and expect a different result, but that won't stop them.

It is also worth mentioning the Miller-Michigan factor. He probably plays cribbage at the country club with Ken Holland, so when you speculate that he's too hurt to play, you're probably spot on. Dont worry, he will be back soon... so Mantha can go down to the AHL and work on his game.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Quality scoring chances at Even strentgh
DET - FLO 10-5

Quality scoring chances at Power-Play
DET - FLO 2-10

Without that penalty show, we could have easily take this home. Panthers looked really dangerous only on PP. Paper tiger at even strength.

I haven't watched the game yet, but assuming you watched, would you say this stat indicates a bad power play, bad penalty kill, or both? What would you deem more detrimental?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
They need to be bringing guys with waiver exemption up to see what they have to offer. I understand that the system is pretty limited given current call-ups, a lack of talent, and guys pinched by not having waiver status, but that's one of the issues plaguing this organization (ELC and prospect mismanagement). It's literally insane to keep it up and expect a different result, but that won't stop them.

Ah, but you see the irony is exactly that we have all this depth. We have so much depth we can't bring people up withouth waiving guys and losing our depth. We have so little cap space we can't bring guys up unless we waive guys and lose our depth. And then if those AHL'ers aren't any good? We just lost a depth guy for nothing.

It's a catch 22. Welcome to the world of Ken Holland.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I might be in the minority here but I really think a rebuild could take 2 years for us. A top 3-5 pick this year and then a top 6-10 next year. One forward, one D.

Our younger pieces moving forward Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Mrazek, Sproul, I hope Russo pans out, Svech.

Complimentary players- Abby, Helm, Nielson, MAYBE Green, maybe Nyquist/Tatar, DDK

Mantha-Larkin-Draft pick
Abby-Nielsen-Nyquist
AA-Svech-Bertuzzi
Glendening-Helm-I don't care

Green-DDK
Russo-Draft pick
Sproul- We'll see

Not a bad lineup. With Larkin, Mantha, Nielson, Helm, AA, Svech and whatever top 10 forward (if we draft one of each F/D) we are talking plenty of speed. I mean really fast.

Svech, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Abby, AA is plenty of size up front. Compared to hoping Tatar, Zetterberg, Nyquist can be awesome forecheckers...

Defense has an NHL ready player from the start, plenty of right handers, and plenty of PP options between Sproul/Green/Draft pick.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I haven't watched the game yet, but assuming you watched, would you say this stat indicates a bad power play, bad penalty kill, or both? What would you deem more detrimental?

This is the same team over the last 20 games, some good and bad. It was a long, slow game but as Winger said there is some type of improvement happening? Definitely a good hockey game worth checking out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I might be in the minority here but I really think a rebuild could take 2 years for us. A top 3-5 pick this year and then a top 6-10 next year. One forward, one D.

You really want to do that the other way around.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hint to Blashill - this is the part where you make adjustments so that the team isn't so damn boring.
Rearranging the deck chairs can only do so much, though. I'm all for playing the kids that can make an impact - or, as you suggested, at least be exciting - but the combination of overall talent level and accumulating injuries is a pretty bad hand at the moment.

Here's to hoping the upcoming draft class continues to improve...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You must be new. Remember the playoff game vs the predators where everyone and the goalie left the net open.
Do you have the video?
Awful in the way they always put themselves behind the 8 ball with bad penalties, but they hung in there. It was ugly, but it was better than they looked to begin the season. I'll take what progress I can get.

Also, would love to see fewer injuries. At some point I sorta wish we could bring in some more serious bangers just to once in awhile inflict more damage than we seem to take.
I think we should cross check and slash more around our goalie.

Babcock was on him all the time.
Nope, he's just the worst player currently rostered by a professional hockey team. Almost anyone can limit shooting lanes, get hit with the puck, and ice it when the puck touches their stick, so there's a reason why it's typically marginal forwards killing PIMS. But yea, if the Wings keep taking penalties, his negative ES value might be lessened by all the PK situations.

Outside of Dan Cleary, I can't think of a player in the organization I want on the active roster less than Miller. They need to be bringing guys with waiver exemption up to see what they have to offer. I understand that the system is pretty limited given current call-ups, a lack of talent, and guys pinched by not having waiver status, but that's one of the issues plaguing this organization (ELC and prospect mismanagement). It's literally insane to keep it up and expect a different result, but that won't stop them.

It is also worth mentioning the Miller-Michigan factor. He probably plays cribbage at the country club with Ken Holland, so when you speculate that he's too hurt to play, you're probably spot on. Dont worry, he will be back soon... so Mantha can go down to the AHL and work on his game.
Just bringing up more guys will result in more Sheahans.

Our younger pieces moving forward Larkin, AA, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Mrazek, Sproul, I hope Russo pans out, Svech.

Complimentary players- Abby, Helm, Nielson, MAYBE Green, maybe Nyquist/Tatar, DDK

Mantha-Larkin-Draft pick
Abby-Nielsen-Nyquist
AA-Svech-Bertuzzi
Glendening-Helm-I don't care

Green-DDK
Russo-Draft pick
Sproul- We'll see

Not a bad lineup. With Larkin, Mantha, Nielson, Helm, AA, Svech and whatever top 10 forward (if we draft one of each F/D) we are talking plenty of speed. I mean really fast.

Svech, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Abby, AA is plenty of size up front. Compared to hoping Tatar, Zetterberg, Nyquist can be awesome forecheckers...

Defense has an NHL ready player from the start, plenty of right handers, and plenty of PP options between Sproul/Green/Draft pick.
None of the players you listed are either the stars or elite, and we do not know if they will ever be.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Wow I think sproul got more hate on that play then some of Ericssons really dumb plays

When people hated him it's cause he was garbage at anything. Didn't see anyone call out a specific play. Other then him literally putting it in the net himself. But even then I'm pretty sure I saw less

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad