GDT: Los Angeles @ Carolina - Stand back! There's a Hurricane comin' through!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Well, of course. We are five games into the season and in the fifth game we lost a gazillion faceoffs. A much larger sample size shows that both Eric and Jordan are at least average at faceoffs. The rest? They probably suck.

It's not like they faced one of the best face off guys in the league tonight or anything.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Please no. A group of 50 year old women gravitated towards this nickname and every player out there with 9 on their back was Patty O'Dwyer. It was ****ing brutal.

It's better than the woman behind me in my seats last year who kept calling Jordan "Jordy" every few seconds.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Ward was brutal tonight. Really let the team down on that breakaway and during the shootout.

What game did you watch? Ward was great tonight.

We, a team on the back end of a back-to-back, got a loser point against a well rested, very good Kings team. It's hard to say whose 'fault' it is in a 2-1 shootout loss.

Least of all the goaltender who stopped 36 of 37 shots (.972 Sv%).

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh

We, a team on the back end of a back-to-back, got a loser point against a well rested, very good Kings team. It's hard to say whose 'fault' it is in a 2-1 shootout loss.

I think you missed the sarcasm.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

All that matters is winning. Ward did not win. Therefore he is bad. And the fact that Ward has 0% winning percentage through three games shows he is bad at winning in general. :sarcasm:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Pretty happy with this result, though oddly enough I would have been more satisfied at 0-0 heading into the shootout. I still ****ing hate the shootout, been in place for what 8 seasons now? Dun curr, it's the least appealing aspect of the game to me and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the game ending in ties. I've felt this way all 8 seasons, including when we were schooling the shootout in 05-06.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I liked the shootout the first couple of seasons but lately the appeal has worn off of me, and it's not just because we suck at it.

That Flyers-Rangers game where the winner clinched a playoff berth went to a shootout and everyone and their mother was complaining about it. I think if such a scenario happens again, the NHL is going to drop it.

My only hope is they don't bring back tie games.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Pretty happy with this result, though oddly enough I would have been more satisfied at 0-0 heading into the shootout. I still ****ing hate the shootout, been in place for what 8 seasons now? Dun curr, it's the least appealing aspect of the game to me and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the game ending in ties. I've felt this way all 8 seasons, including when we were schooling the shootout in 05-06.

Ties are unappealing to a lot of people considering it comes off as uncompetitive as well as the fact that the only other league that has ties is the NFL which it's extremely rare in. Plus the shootout is extremely popular and exciting for casual fans as well as some of the more hardcore crowd. There's also the fact that games have to end one way or another.

Between all that shootouts may not be the ideal option in some people's eyes, but it's certainly a legitimate one and not a bad one.

EDIT: I mean, people will say we should have unlimited OT with teams not at full strength or something similar but it's just not practical so it comes down to ties or shootouts in the end.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
They should just do 1-on-1 overtime. Each side gets to take turns picking which defenseman they get to play against for a minute. Hurricanes lose every overtime when teams figure out that they can just pick Harrison and he'll immediately take a penalty, leaving them with a 1 against 0 powerplay opportunity. Cam Ward retires.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oh don't get me wrong, I get the logic of it, but there's just some changes they could make to make the shootout more palatable as an end point.

I'd have no problem if they made regulation and OT wins worth 3 points and extend OT to 10 minutes, while keeping shootouts worth 2 points in order to further encourage teams to end it in the course of the actual game.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I agree. Komi looked good, and I like what Murphy brings to the team. Harrison has been a liability.

Absolutely, I don't know what has gotten into Harrison but he's playing like his 09-10/early 10-11 self when he was easily one of our worst players.

Komi had his moments, give him a few more games to see if he can improve and be a regular in the lineup. Ditto Murphy.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wouldn't be opposed to swapping out Harrison for Murphy in the lineup for a few games and rolling a Komi-Murphy 3rd pairing to see how it goes. Have to say we missed Murphy's speed and creativity on the back end tonight, even if we did hold LA to one goal.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
They should just do 1-on-1 overtime. Each side gets to take turns picking which defenseman they get to play against for a minute. Hurricanes lose every overtime when teams figure out that they can just pick Harrison and he'll immediately take a penalty, leaving them with a 1 against 0 powerplay opportunity. Cam Ward retires.

1237977238_pineapple-express-laughing.gif

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Absolutely, I don't know what has gotten into Harrison but he's playing like his 09-10/early 10-11 self when he was easily one of our worst players.

Komi had his moments, give him a few more games to see if he can improve and be a regular in the lineup. Ditto Murphy.

You mean now that Harrison is the worst defenseman on the team again because none of Corvo, McBain, Sangs, etc are here he looks like the worst defenseman again? What a novel concept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad