OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It doesn't matter who coaches or who runs the team as long as the owner remains the same

Yes, but we also could have had Bochy as our manager last year instead of holding onto Nevin. That's all on GM Minisian.

Anyhow, if Dipoto was able to get the Angels to finish over .500 and get to the playoffs, then we need someone like him at the GM spot. Minisian isn't at Dipoto level, but I do give him credit on "rebuilding on the fly" with lots of youths on the MLB club already. We should have traded Shohei, but we gambled on trying to keep Shohei by going all out at the TDL. Now, oddly enough, that implies Moreno would be willing to go over the luxury threshold for good in trying to retain Ohtani.

I still wouldn't trust owner Moreno, though.

Reactions: Rybread86

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yes, but we also could have had Bochy as our manager last year instead of holding onto Nevin. That's all on GM Minisian.

Anyhow, if Dipoto was able to get the Angels to finish over .500 and get to the playoffs, then we need someone like him at the GM spot. Minisian isn't at Dipoto level, but I do give him credit on "rebuilding on the fly" with lots of youths on the MLB club already. We should have traded Shohei, but we gambled on trying to keep Shohei by going all out at the TDL. Now, oddly enough, that implies Moreno would be willing to go over the luxury threshold for good in trying to retain Ohtani.

Why would Bochy take a job here?

Spare me the crap about Dipoto. The fact is it wasn’t Reagins, Dipoto, Stoneman, Eppler, or Minasian

It’s one man’s fault

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Why would Bochy take a job here?

Spare me the crap about Dipoto. The fact is it wasn’t Reagins, Dipoto, Stoneman, Eppler, or Minasian

It’s one man’s fault

Why wouldn't Bochy take a job here if it was offered? Problem is, GM Minisian wanted to keep Nevin as manager.

As for Dipoto, I don't get you. We have a terrible owner and one that probably won't sell the team anytime soon. We did find one GM that worked around the owner, but couldn't work around Sosh - who was power hungry. When Dipoto left, Sosh got the power and quickly realized he wasn't the reason for the success.

Dipoto proved he can create a roster that can finish over .500 as well as make the playoffs under owner Moreno and a manager who was power hungry.

The next GM, Eppler, was essentially the GM that Moreno wanted as it was hitter focused. I'll give Eppler praise for being a factor to woo Ohtani to the Angels. Ohtani remembers Eppler scouting him in high school when Eppler was part of the Yankees org. All bats and lack of pitching made for an ugly tenoir.

Current GM Minisian, is Dipoto-lite-ish. He's making subtle moves, made a point with an all pitcher draft, and actually got a green light to go over the luxury tax by Moreno. Still haven't seen .500 and not enough good pitching. He's got one more year left on his contract.

We just gotta find another Dipoto. Easier said than done. Plus side is Moreno will spend close to the cap, with the 6th highest payroll last year at $212 mil. Dipoto's new owner is cheaper and limited him to 18th highest payroll, at $137 mil.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The only thing the Angels need is a new owner who doesn't meddle in how the team is constructed (and hires his buddies), invests in baseball operations throughout the minor league system and doesn't just invest in flashy offensive players at the MLB level who crumble as soon as they arrive in Anaheim and cripple the payroll for a decade.

There is zero chance a 3 (at the time) time World Series winning manager is accepting any sort of job at the Angels as long as Moreno is manager and the Angels in the state they are in both on the field and off the field.

The Angels are an utter embarrassment and need an Astros-esque late 2000's intervention and scorched earth rebuild throughout the organisation to do anything in the next 10+ years.

Until the person with all the power changes, the Angels are going nowhere and you have 20 years of history to back that up.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Why wouldn't Bochy take a job here if it was offered? Problem is, GM Minisian wanted to keep Nevin as manager.

As for Dipoto, I don't get you. We have a terrible owner and one that probably won't sell the team anytime soon. We did find one GM that worked around the owner, but couldn't work around Sosh - who was power hungry. When Dipoto left, Sosh got the power and quickly realized he wasn't the reason for the success.

Dipoto proved he can create a roster that can finish over .500 as well as make the playoffs under owner Moreno and a manager who was power hungry.

The next GM, Eppler, was essentially the GM that Moreno wanted as it was hitter focused. I'll give Eppler praise for being a factor to woo Ohtani to the Angels. Ohtani remembers Eppler scouting him in high school when Eppler was part of the Yankees org. All bats and lack of pitching made for an ugly tenoir.

Current GM Minisian, is Dipoto-lite-ish. He's making subtle moves, made a point with an all pitcher draft, and actually got a green light to go over the luxury tax by Moreno. Still haven't seen .500 and not enough good pitching. He's got one more year left on his contract.

We just gotta find another Dipoto. Easier said than done. Plus side is Moreno will spend close to the cap, with the 6th highest payroll last year at $212 mil. Dipoto's new owner is cheaper and limited him to 18th highest payroll, at $137 mil.
We get it, you really like DiPoto a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender66

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal

Um, what coach worth his weight, especially guy like Bochy is going to come coach a team when the owner announces he is selling the team before spring training? The whole reason for paying nevin another yr was because no one wanted to come be an interim coach if arte was really selling.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We get it, you really like DiPoto a lot.

You don't get it. Dipoto proved a GM can get us to the playoffs with Moreno as our owner. When Moreno reneged on selling the team, I don't expect him to sell the team anytime soon. You can stop being an Angels fans if you want, but I can't. So I want a GM similar to Dipoto instead of being a whiny bitch all the time.

Um, what coach worth his weight, especially guy like Bochy is going to come coach a team when the owner announces he is selling the team before spring training? The whole reason for paying nevin another yr was because no one wanted to come be an interim coach if arte was really selling.

That could be, but GM Minisian wanted Nevin back.

There's only 30 teams in the MLB. With that scarcity of opportunities, who wouldn't want to be a coach in the MLB? If you prove your worth, then the next owner would keep you. Control what you can. Minisian controlled Nevin back, unfortunately.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Arte's a capitalist, I'll give him that. Granted, it's been a foregone conclusion that he was gonna win the award since June, but he's already got the 2-time MVP shirts in the team store. He'll milk Shohei for all he's worth until he officially makes a decision.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Arte's a capitalist, I'll give him that. Granted, it's been a foregone conclusion that he was gonna win the award since June, but he's already got the 2-time MVP shirts in the team store. He'll milk Shohei for all he's worth until he officially makes a decision.

Yup. Arte gambled the future by not trading Ohtani, but also trading away assets to make a playoff push. The playoff push, if it worked, would keep Ohtani in Anaheim. Here's the thing, Arte was/is willing to pony up for Ohtani to stay. That's us going over the luxury tax for a few years and then some.

But would that be the only acquisition the Angels make over the winter? That's what I'd be scared of if I were Ohtani.

It's beyond depressing to know Arte had two MVPs on the roster for six seasons, but couldn't get over .500 once with both. Spend to the cap, but never go over it... leaving the team with mediocre pitching. At least Trout was in the playoff once, in 2014, nearly a decade ago.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Angels shared some cash in a recent trade with the Braves.

To Braves: C Stassi and INF Fletcher
To Angels: minor leaguers 1B Evan White and RP Tyler Thomas

From MLBtradeRumors:

The Braves agree to take on an extra $6MM next season, while the Halos are assuming an additional $1.5MM between 2025-26. Atlanta is also assuming $6MM in luxury tax obligations for the upcoming season.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I don’t know what the odds I could get on it are, but I am infinitely more confident that the Ducks will win the Stanley Cup before the Angels win another playoff game.

This will probably be my last foray in this thread for awhile. Cannot imagine I’ll watch many games until Arte either sells the team or dies, I’m certainly not giving him any money to go to the ballpark

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don’t know what the odds I could get on it are, but I am infinitely more confident that the Ducks will win the Stanley Cup before the Angels win another playoff game.

This will probably be my last foray in this thread for awhile. Cannot imagine I’ll watch many games until Arte either sells the team or dies, I’m certainly not giving him any money to go to the ballpark
Be careful on that bet. I'm not sure I see any good reason for Arte to hang on any more. He kept Ohtani just for the money he could make. Now that he's squeezed every last dollar out of the team and they are at rock bottom, he might as well follow through on his original plan to sell the team.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
As an Angel fan, I don't blame the team for hanging onto Ohtani last year. His trade value was less than people think since he was never going to sign an extension. And at the time, the Angels were still in contention for the playoffs. They had to make a run.

But I'm with others in that my fandom is pretty much in shambles. I have no desire to give this team any of my time or money while Moreno owns it. He's awful and has ruined the franchise.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
As much as I detest Arte as an owner, I don't blame him for not trying to sign Ohtani for this amount of money. If the Angels were willing to spend $70 million per year they could spend it on a number of good players and get better results that by signing Ohtani.

I think that the Dodgers are going to be disappointed with this contract unless they are willing to shell out considerably more money for other players. The Dodgers still have a number of holes in their line up, particularly for next year when Ohtani cannot pitch. Championships are won by teams, not individual players.

I believe that this is a very risky contract for the price. Ohtani is only a very highly paid designated hitter for next year, and his ability to be an effective two way player for years beyond that is uncertain. Also uncertain are future potential injuries which could further restrict his pitching in particular. Add that uncertainty in with the impact that aging will have on him, and by year seven this could be a very expensive contract impairing the Dodgers' salary structure.

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Not moving Ohtani at the trade deadline was inexcusable and unforgivable. They just lost the best player in decades for absolutely nothing. The notion that showing loyalty to a player would prevent him from leaving this absolute butthole of an organization was a pipe dream, and now we're left with an unwatchable dung heap with an owner who knows and cares nothing about winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad