OT: Los Angeles Angels Talk

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
This is f***ing ludicrous. Perry should resign in protest and (though he doesn’t care) Manfred should be stepping in to finally free us from El Diablo Moreno

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
I called this out years ago, but some on here didn't believe me about Dipoto. It's all quiet on the western front now.

The last time we were .500 was with Dipoto in 2015. The last time we were in the playoffs was with Dippoto in 2014.

Under Dipoto, we were a .500 or better club in three out of his four years with the team. That included Moreno meddling a lot with FA signings of 1B Pujols (lost a 2012 first round pick) and OF Hamilton (lost a 2013 first round pick). That latter signing prevented the Angels from extending ace pitcher Greinke, whom Dipoto traded away a lot to avoid losing a first round pick if signed as a FA (we lost all star SS Segura in the trade).

Dipoto favors pitching over hitting, while Moreno is the exact opposite. Dipoto has traded many positional players to secure young pitchers with Anaheim since Moreno kept taking away first round picks and signing FA sluggers. With the Mariners, he's been collecting 1st round pitchers (Gilbert, Kirby, and Hancock) and secured veteran aces (Ray and Castillo). The Angels passed up on Kirby for SS Will Wilson, whom we packaged in a trade for a cap dump. The Mariners are one of the best pitching staffs this year and last year.

Moreno chose himself instead of Dipoto by sticking behind Scioscia. Moreno wants to be in charge and have the final say.

indiana-jones-he-chose-poorly.gif

Since Dipoto's departure from the Angels org and becoming the Mariners' GM in 2016, the Mariners have been over .500 five times (including this year) and went to the playoffs last year. They are vying for a playoff spot this year as they currently hold a wild card spot, but also are now one game behind Texas for the AL West division lead.
You make some excellent points. Dipoto did all of this with a payroll that isn't even close to the Angels' level. The Angels payroll was top 10 every season, while the Mariners were close to middle of pack to bottom 10. Seattle also has had more wins than the Angels since Dipoto left.

Seattle's management let Dipoto execute his plan. He inherited a pretty mediocre team with some good pieces, namely Edwin Diaz and Robinson Cano. He pretty much shipped both of them pretty quickly and immediately traded aging veterans before their decline and started a complete rebuild and started building up their farm system and building depth.

Moreno thinks he's so smart because of his wealth and is completely out of his element. He cares what people think of him and doing fan/marketing friendly things. Once Shohei leaves, Arte will probably never spend as much as he did in trying to win and just start milking the Angels purely for profit. You think things are bad now, wait till he stops caring about how well the team does and just start milking the Angels for profit, laughing all the way to the bank. That big TV contract is going to assure him a huge profit for the foreseeable future no matter how terrible the team is.

Perry is doing well for what he has to deal with. I don't envy his position at all, he's doing the best he can when Arte wants something done. Having said that, these waiver wire moves actually makes sense for the team. Now that they have no chance of making the playoffs, the Angels should start tanking and lose as many games as possible and start playing the young guys to see what they have in Adams and Adell once he's back. If all of the players get claimed, it'll put the Angels under the tax payer threshold and get a better comp pick for the team once Shohei leaves. However the optics of this will cause a lot of players to think twice to sign with the team. This is definitely a move from Arte to save money, but there is a logic/genius to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Wow, Cleveland has the same record and the same chances of making the post-season and they claimed Giolito, Lopez and Moore off waivers. that sucks for them. One wasted team to another.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Wow, Cleveland has the same record and the same chances of making the post-season and they claimed Giolito, Lopez and Moore off waivers. that sucks for them. One wasted team to another.
Cleveland is only like 4 games out of a playoff spot despite having the same record. They aren’t out of it by any stretch.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Cleveland is only like 4 games out of a playoff spot despite having the same record. They aren’t out of it by any stretch.

Ah youre right. 5 games out in the central, weak division. 5 still seems to be a climb but more in it than Anaheim

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Divisions are stupid. Guardians only have to pass 1 team to make the playoffs by winning their own division.

Reactions: Rybread86

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ah youre right. 5 games out in the central, weak division. 5 still seems to be a climb but more in it than Anaheim

We were in a similar situation as Cleveland when we made all those trades.

July 30, 2023 standings AL West.png

Gonna be hilarious if Cleveland makes up the ground with the Angels' waivers.

Oh... The Mariners lead the AL West. They made up 5.5 games in the month of August.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
I’ve been through many things as a fan of this franchise over the last 15 years. This truly does feel like rock bottom.

Once again: SELL THE TEAM, ARTE!

Reactions: Static

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’ve been through many things as a fan of this franchise over the last 15 years. This truly does feel like rock bottom.

Once again: SELL THE TEAM, ARTE!

After Moreno reneged on selling the team, I don't think he wants to sell it anymore. Look at the power he commanded by not trading Ohtani and losing top prospects on an already bad farm team. Moreno is gonna ride out the $3 billion tv profit deal while being below the luxury tax, which is about 8 more seasons. Fans will still come out to see Trout. He's "comfortably numb" being a sub-.500 team as long as he remains the master of his domain.

Trading Ohtani would have jumpstarted the rebuild so much faster. Now, all we'll get is a 2nd round comp (after we waived like a fourth of our roster to get below the luxury tax threshold).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Probably going to get surgery done on his arm to get a head start on recovery. Which sucks b/c it means he can't pitch at all next year as well as affect how much he would fetch guaranteed as a dual player. It still doesn't mean he is staying or going away from the Angels. I'll just guess that when the org waived a fifth of the MLB roster is when Ohtani knew he wouldn't stay in Anaheim.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Womp Womp. And now they are also open to trading Trout. Probably for the best IF Trout decides he wants to go, but man, what a complete let down and waste of top tier talent,

I want to be mad at Ohtani, but I cant be, I want to believe that Trout will stay, but I cant blame him if he wants to leave. All I can hope for at this point is if we trade Trout we can fetch a good enough return that it helps a rebuild and ARTE SELLS.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Womp Womp. And now they are also open to trading Trout. Probably for the best IF Trout decides he wants to go, but man, what a complete let down and waste of top tier talent,

I want to be mad at Ohtani, but I cant be, I want to believe that Trout will stay, but I cant blame him if he wants to leave. All I can hope for at this point is if we trade Trout we can fetch a good enough return that it helps a rebuild and ARTE SELLS.
I would honestly trade Trout even if the only positive we get is dumping Rendon’s contract with him. I can’t stand that guy being on the team, and losing both of them plus Ohtani would allow us to start over.

Reactions: Rybread86

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Trout stays because it suits him, being the quiet type. He's here for seven more seasons, through thick and thin.

Yes, the Angels have wasted top tier talents because the owner hates pitching, loves sluggers, and won't go over the luxury tax to sustain a great team all season.

Is all lost? Not necessarily. Anaheim...errr, LA Angels have done a rebuild on the fly. The Athletic recently had an article about rookies this year and they identified five rookies:

SS Neto (2022 1st rd pick)
RHP Silseth
C O'Hoppe
RHP Soriano
1B Schanuel (2023 1st rd pick)

The team has other youths like starters LHP Detmers and LHP Sandoval along with positional players like C Moniak and 2B Rengifo. That's actually not bad despite not having a great farm team. Anaheim would have vets in OF Trout, OF Ward, and 3B Rendon.

Rendon's $38.5 mil for the next three years is gonna suck, ages 34-36 and no trade clause, not that anyone would be dumb enough to take that salary on. Arte's gotta learn sometime that sluggers OF Wells, 1B Pujols, OF Hamilton, OF Justin Upton, and 3B Rendon are all overpaid at a later age that haven't worked out. That's the definition of insanity! That said, we're gonna need another 3B b/c we expect Rendon to miss most of the season again.

I don't expect Ohtani to return. Moreno going all in at the TDL instead of going all in during the off-season is like putting lipstick on a pig. It's gonna suck hard not having Ohtani, even just for his bat!

All this losing is improving our draft selection. We're currently in the 7th spot. The higher up we go, the higher the chances we get for the MLB draft lottery.

Still, I've become a passive in following the Angels for several years now.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Trout stays because it suits him, being the quiet type. He's here for seven more seasons, through thick and thin.

Yes, the Angels have wasted top tier talents because the owner hates pitching, loves sluggers, and won't go over the luxury tax to sustain a great team all season.

Is all lost? Not necessarily. Anaheim...errr, LA Angels have done a rebuild on the fly. The Athletic recently had an article about rookies this year and they identified five rookies:

SS Neto (2022 1st rd pick)
RHP Silseth
C O'Hoppe
RHP Soriano
1B Schanuel (2023 1st rd pick)

The team has other youths like starters LHP Detmers and LHP Sandoval along with positional players like C Moniak and 2B Rengifo. That's actually not bad despite not having a great farm team. Anaheim would have vets in OF Trout, OF Ward, and 3B Rendon.

Rendon's $38.5 mil for the next three years is gonna suck, ages 34-36 and no trade clause, not that anyone would be dumb enough to take that salary on. Arte's gotta learn sometime that sluggers OF Wells, 1B Pujols, OF Hamilton, OF Justin Upton, and 3B Rendon are all overpaid at a later age that haven't worked out. That's the definition of insanity! That said, we're gonna need another 3B b/c we expect Rendon to miss most of the season again.

I don't expect Ohtani to return. Moreno going all in at the TDL instead of going all in during the off-season is like putting lipstick on a pig. It's gonna suck hard not having Ohtani, even just for his bat!

All this losing is improving our draft selection. We're currently in the 7th spot. The higher up we go, the higher the chances we get for the MLB draft lottery.

Still, I've become a passive in following the Angels for several years now.

You arent wrong BUT I dont think its outside the realm of possibility that Trout decides to move on. He has to at least have an inkling like the rest of us that Arte sucks. Yes, we have pretty dang good group of youth to move this group forward but our pitching has sucked for a decade +.

Were not in a place to be too optimistic anymore. We are losing Ohtani. Even if Trout stays hes now, obviously, on his downturn and were saddled with Rendon.

Ugh, ugly.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
And Nevin gets canned. Too bad the wrong guy is getting replaced. How many GMs and coaches do you have to go through before you realize what the real problem is?

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
May be the worst owner in baseball. Has completely ruined the Angels due to his meddling and reportedly cheapness when it comes to support personnel and equipment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad