Rumor: Looks like it is down to Vegas, Toronto, Carolina and Edmonton for ROR!

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
how about the Blues adding Acciari? He’s going to be huge on a playoff team.

Acciari wouldn't really move the needle towards Hague. Acciari is probably worth a 4th maybe a 3rd. For Hague it would need to be a Hagel type of player. Cheap top 6 wing with term.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'm just asking why. Tarasenko is also a beast and has better point totals, and isn't coming off a broken ankle. But I understand how ROR impacts the game in other ways.

Is O'Reilly having more value an opinion shared across Blue fans? How much more do you think he gets?

O'Rielly is coming back from a broken foot, not a broken ankle.

As for why he's more valuable than Tarasenko, the simple answer is, he's a better player.

Tarasenko has great wheels and is an excellent puck handler with a high end shot that can be very dangerous when paired with someone that can get him in the puck. But if he's not scoring points, he's not really contributing to your team at all.

O'Reilly is a totally different animal who can help your team offensively, defensively and as a leader. He's an outstanding 200-foot player, who, in my opinion, is arguably the best two way forward in hockey (to me, it's down to him and Patrice Bergeron.) His defensive game is rock solid and he's very effective in a shutdown role, is an extremely hard worker on the ice and plays a very tenacious game that can agitate, frustrate and knock opponents off of their game. He's excellent positionally, is really good at getting his stick in pass lanes and is a very smart player with off-the charts hockey IQ.

On the other side of the puck, his offensive game is good enough that even if he had no defensive skills at all, he'd still be an effective top six player who is creative enough with the puck to elevate his line mates, distributes the puck well and has finishing ability on his own.

O'Reilly is a very rare player in the NHL and whatever team ends up with him this deadline will be getting the biggest difference maker available this year at the deadline. He will make whatever team gets him instantly better by a pretty large margin.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
O'Rielly is coming back from a broken foot, not a broken ankle.

As for why he's more valuable than Tarasenko, the simple answer is, he's a better player.

Tarasenko has great wheels and is an excellent puck handler with a high end shot that can be very dangerous when paired with someone that can get him in the puck. But if he's not scoring points, he's not really contributing to your team at all.

O'Reilly is a totally different animal who can help your team offensively, defensively and as a leader. He's an outstanding 200-foot player, who, in my opinion, is arguably the best two way forward in hockey (to me, it's down to him and Patrice Bergeron.) His defensive game is rock solid and he's very effective in a shutdown role, is an extremely hard worker on the ice and plays a very tenacious game that can effective knock opponents off of their game. He's excellent positionally, is really good at getting his stick in pass lanes and is a very smart player with off-the charts hockey IQ.

On the other side of the puck, his offensive game is good enough that even if he had no defensive skills at all, he'd still be an effective top six player who is creative enough with the puck to elevate his line mates, distributes the puck well and has finishing ability on his own.

O'Reilly is a very rare player in the NHL and whatever team ends up with him this deadline will be getting the biggest difference maker available this year at the deadline. He will make whatever team gets him instantly better by a pretty large margin.

somebody gets it

Acciari wouldn't really move the needle towards Hague. Acciari is probably worth a 4th maybe a 3rd. For Hague it would need to be a Hagel type of player. Cheap top 6 wing with term.

i meant to add to ROR.

ROR + Acciari for Hague + 1st

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Guelkey

Mar 7, 2008
I don't see the Oilers sending out Barrie right now. Maybe over the summer, but he's been really good for us this year. His defensive play has taken some strides and he is still producing a tone. He certainly doesn't fall under the "cap dump" category.

Broberg won't be moved. Bouchard is probably more available than Broberg is, and I'd make him available if we're getting Parayko back.

I don't think it would need to be all

Barrie, Ceci and Yamamoto aren't crap. Barrie and Ceci are worth every dollar they are paid. But neither are top pair guys ideally, and both have had to pull duty in that role at different times. Give us a right side or Parayko-Barrie-Ceci, and I'm happy with that. Neither are cap dumps at all, so if you are counting them as no value, they can be left on the sidelines. Pulujarvi can go in. Yamamoto or Foegle can go in.

Bouchard, Pulujarvi, Yamamoto and a 1st in 2023. It gives two high value pieces in the 1st and Bouchard, one decent piece in Yamamoto, and a value-less try out for Pulujarvi so they know if he's a fit on their team and worth offering a contract to this summer (below his qualifying offer obviously).

Oh, and Broberg is a non-starter. Won't be included at all.

I think most would be shocked if ROR went for less than a 1st. There is always a minority with differing opinions.
I was using crap loosely more focusing on certain players. Ceci is worth his current cap hit and I like what he brings to the Oilers and if by obtaining players like Parayko or Chychrun then Barrie would be expendable and would probably half to be the one going out because of the cap hit.

Yamamoto imo is what he is. I don’t see him as a long term option and is overpriced at his current cap hit. Would still consider him a meh player that I would be okay with being traded.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
2023 1st + 2024 2nd + 2023 3rd + kerfoot from Toronto
For
ROR @ 50%
Acciari

I guess that should be somewhere in the ballpark what the Blues are looking for, as long as we can flip Kerfoot (50% retained) for another pick/prospect. Maybe make the 3rd, the Ottawa one and swap the 2nd for Fraser Minten.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I guess that should be somewhere in the ballpark what the Blues are looking for, as long as we can flip Kerfoot (50% retained) for another pick/prospect. Maybe make the 3rd, the Ottawa one and swap the 2nd for Fraser Minten.
I would be fine with the 1,2, and 3rd being Ottawas and kerfoot

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I would be fine with the 1,2, and 3rd being Ottawas and kerfoot

Yeah, a '24 2nd instead of Minten is not a dealbreaker for me... I just thought if we're going to retool (small rebuild?) and are aiming to be competitive again in 3-ish years someone like Minten (who projects to be a decent 3rd liner) lines up better in that timetable than someone who we draft in the 2nd round in next years draft.. So it's a personal preference, nothing more than that. A 2nd is fine by me.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd be fine with giving the Ottawa 3rd but the 2nd has to be there instead of Minten. Holmberg and Minten are to important to let go on top of the rest of the package.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Very unlikely if the prices being discussed in this thread are anything like the actual cost.
Fair but take the Canadian teams off the list. It's between Vegas and Carolina. Carolina is having a hell of a run, flat low tax rate market. It's an easy sell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad