Looking to buy a small/tiny car

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I know you said you wouldn't chime on this topic (sorry :laugh:) but given the choice of a small car, would you go with the Cooper then? The current model (since 2014 I believe?) is apparently much more reliable than the previous model.
I would buy the jeep 10 out of 10 times before I recommend any small car. I know nothing about them other then the mini cooper has at least been in production for years. The others are all new builds

Reactions: Realgud

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
In fact just get the Jeep. You'll be a lot happier in the end. You and the wife can argue over 6" later...

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
One thing about Jeep Wranglers is that there are TONS of aftermarket parts available. One of those aftermarket parts is a 360 degree camera system which allows you to see what's beside you, in front of you, and behind you. This really helps when manoevering in tight spaces.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
One thing about Jeep Wranglers is that there are TONS of aftermarket parts available. One of those aftermarket parts is a 360 degree camera system which allows you to see what's beside you, in front of you, and behind you. This really helps when manoevering in tight spaces.

OK even I will admit this is pretty fantastic

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
And another thing... other Jeep Wrangler owners actually waive to you when you pass them on the road.

Come on... you know you want it... driving down the street on a hot sunny summer day with the top down and the doors off and the breeze in your hair...

Here's a pic of my Rubicon.

rubicon.jpg

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
And another thing... other Jeep Wrangler owners actually waive to you when you pass them on the road.

Come on... you know you want it... driving down the street on a hot sunny summer day with the top down and the doors off and the breeze in your hair...

Here's a pic of my Rubicon.

View attachment 247001

A hot sunny summer day in Canada? Won't happen! (Ok that's not true).

It is a damn nice car though, must be so much fun to ride, even as a passenger.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
A hot sunny summer day in Canada? Won't happen! (Ok that's not true).

It is a damn nice car though, must be so much fun to ride, even as a passenger.
It is but I have to admit that my wife is scared to ride in the passenger seat when the doors are off. She says she will feel more comfortable if I install these...
Capture.JPG

Last summer I had the doors off and the top down for quite a number of days here in Calgary.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I owned a 2014 3-door Mini Cooper S on lease, my parents fell in love with it and bought it off-lease so I went out and leased another 2018 Cooper S 5-door.

It's one of the most enjoyable driving experiences I've had to date.

The trunk with the seats down (40/60 split seats) is big enough for a fair amount of cargo (e.g. 2 sets of golf clubs), and the acceleration, cornering and feel is tremendous.

I really can't say enough about it - it even handles fairly well in the snow and ice here in Canada with winter tires.

The advantage of the Mini is that it shares a lot with BMWs so the quality of the internal components and systems is impressive considering the cost IMO.

My other car is a 2011 Subaru Outback, which is the long-distance cruiser and utilitarian car for hauling stuff around, but my wife and I both prefer to drive the Mini.

As far as negative aspects of the car - I can't really think of any.

I guess the only one would be that the S has a fairly stiff suspension and it's close to the ground, so it it can be a bit jarring for long-distances on really bad roads.

If you have a child (we don't) in a baby seat, and you have the 3-door, it can be challenging to get your child in and out. But the new 5-door is very practical and it looks virtually identical because they reduced the size of the front doors anyway.

Old Mini:
maxresdefault.jpg

New Mini:
608685-vPW2bJlJPEOLepyIcFIlA.jpg

Last edited:

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
I owned a 2014 3-door Mini Cooper S on lease, my parents fell in love with it and bought it off-lease so I went out and leased another 2018 Cooper S 5-door.

It's one of the most enjoyable driving experiences I've had to date.

The trunk with the seats down (40/60 split seats) is big enough for a fair amount of cargo (e.g. 2 sets of golf clubs), and the acceleration, cornering and feel is tremendous.

I really can't say enough about it - it even handles fairly well in the snow and ice here in Canada with winter tires.

The advantage of the Mini is that it shares a lot with BMWs so the quality is impressive considering the cost IMO.

My other car is a 2011 Subaru Outback, which is the long-distance cruiser and utilitarian car for hauling stuff around, but my wife and I both prefer to drive the Mini.

As far as negative aspects of the car - I can't really think of any.

I guess the only one would be that the S has a fairly stiff suspension and it's close to the ground, so it it can be a bit jarring for long-distances on really bad roads.

If you have a child (we don't) in a baby seat, and you have the 3-door, it can be challenging to get your child in and out. But the new 5-door is very practical and it looks virtually identical because they reduced the size of the front doors anyway.

Old Mini:
maxresdefault.jpg

New Mini:
881976.jpg

Wow, I'm really thankful for your post. I'm basically narrowing down my choice to the mini right now. And I'm probably gonna finance it over 5 years. It will be expensive but I'll just get through it and then keep it for as a long as I can. I don't have a child either (and don't plan to have one as of now). Seeing your positive attitude toward it really is selling it to me. I was getting scared I would pay too much for something that is just too small and maybe not worth it. Thanks again!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wow, I'm really thankful for your post. I'm basically narrowing down my choice to the mini right now. And I'm probably gonna finance it over 5 years. It will be expensive but I'll just get through it and then keep it for as a long as I can. I don't have a child either (and don't plan to have one as of now). Seeing your positive attitude toward it really is selling it to me. I was getting scared I would pay too much for something that is just too small and maybe not worth it. Thanks again!

Mrs_NyQuil is a lawyer and was looking for a smaller car to fit in her assigned spot in her parking garage.

So it was a fairly similar situation.

At a legal conference, there was a BMW rep there, and after a long discussion, he actually told her to get a Mini instead.

We are fortunate to be in a dual-income no-kids situation so we were able to fully kit out our Mini S (all of the options except parking assist - lighting package, speaker package, leather interior, etc.) for around $40K CDN if I recall correctly. Meanwhile, the BMW starting price is higher than that.

Some friends of ours actually bought one after seeing ours, but they bought one off the lot with no colour or component requirements so they got a really good deal.

We wanted to design our car a little more carefully so we had to pay the full price.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Mrs_NyQuil is a lawyer and was looking for a smaller car to fit in her assigned spot in her parking garage.

So it was a fairly similar situation.

At a legal conference, there was a BMW rep there, and after a long discussion, he actually told her to get a Mini instead.

We are fortunate to be in a dual-income no-kids situation so we were able to fully kit out our Mini S (all of the options except parking assist - lighting package, speaker package, leather interior, etc.) for around $40K CDN if I recall correctly. Meanwhile, the BMW starting price is higher than that.

That's great to hear. My wife cannot currently work but I am very well paid for my age (not a lawyer though lol) so it will probably be a bit difficult at first (money-wise) but I am still confident in the budget I've planned.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That's great to hear. My wife cannot currently work but I am very well paid for my age (not a lawyer though lol) so it will probably be a bit difficult at first (money-wise) but I am still confident in the budget I've planned.

I edited my post to say that, if you are trying to save money, you can negotiate from a strong position if you aren't picky (colour, components, packages) and are willing to buy off the lot.

They usually have some models they want to move.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm a weirdo who loves tiny cars, so you'll take my opinion with its bias, but the Spark is kinda brilliant, especially if you get the Activ trim level. A coworker of mine got one not too long ago. It reminds me of the first-generation Versa I used to have. It blows my mind how such a tiny little car can be so roomy inside, the backseat is bigger than the backseat of my Corolla and not too far off from my Legacy wagon.

Think if I was to buy a small car right now I'd get that new Corolla hatchback. 168 HP in that little thing with a 6 speed manual. yes please

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad