Looking back were these Tim Leiweke comments what lead to Phil Kessel being traded?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This is not a needed thread.....the blind will not believe what has been written nor will the deaf not believe what was said.

Me I am happy that he is gone.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it will be a good, good day when we don't have to read about Kessel anymore. He's not a Leaf. He needed to go, and he's gone.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Tim Leiweke's comment pre-dates the events that led to the decision to send Kessel packing. A different 2014-15 performance and attitude would have completely negated anything the soon departing Leiweke thought about Phil Kessel.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Has Kessel ever claimed to be a leader? Why attack a player for something he never was nor tried to be?

Kessel is as he has always been. An offensive winger with an introverted personality. It was a dumb idea to build a team around such a player but that wasn't Kessel's fault.

And now we're claiming salute gate was a Kessel led conspiracy? I mean it's like we're going out of our way to attack the guy over nonsense reasons.

I agree with Daisy it's time for fans to just drop this and move on. It's not worth being bitter over ancient history at this point.

Last edited:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Has Kessel ever claimed to be a leader? Why attack a player for something he never was nor tried to be?

The media would rather attack Kessel than attack their friend Dave Nonis who did a terrible job surrounding Kessel with talent.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
And now we're claiming salute fate was a Kessel led conspiracy? I mean it's like we're going out of our way to attack the guy over nonsense reaaons.

the reason why people feel it was a Kessel/Phaneuf led thing is that, Kessel skates to Phaneuf, says something, they both nod, they go do their "yay Bernier!" thing, talk to him, and then, poof

however. my belief is as it always was - is that that was on Phaneuf. people can sit here and claim it was deserved (whatever) or that who says they have to do it (whatever), - whatever.

The thing is for the past few years the Leafs did it. up to and including to the last time they did it which was a few days ago. then they didn't do it. and maybe in this case it is a WWMSD (What Would Mats Sundin Do), and quite frankly, I think he would have squashed that crap down before it even got started. And Dion didn't. that's on him

no matter whose brainchild it was.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Glad he is gone and was pleased with the return we got for him. Was never a fan of him and think he will sooner or later run out his welcome in Pittsburgh as well but that wont be my headache so dont really care.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Don't think Kessel leaving had anything to do with Leiweke. It was Shanahan.

I still can't believe the lengths some people go to to defend Kessel . . . I really don't get it. And I actually think that his behaviour was covered up way more than exaggerated, as his defenders will have you believe . . . I mean for instance, I don't hear the guys who defended him about his playing shape/weight apologizing now, now that we know he did have 13 lbs to lose. His effort level wasn't debatable last season, it was horrible last half - and yet people still defend it. And quite frankly, I do put some stock in comments from guys like Wilson and Carlyle - these guys WANT to get hired again! They (Wilson much more so) were only being honest when answering questions . . . and remember, Kessel had great years under Wilson, and they by all accounts had a fantastic relationship AT THE TIME (now we know how Wilson felt though).

I agree with another poster here - the "no-salute" F-you to the fans was the tipping point for Shanahan, as it correctly should have been. And if that management team has kept Dion up until now . . . you now know who was probably behind it - the guy who's gone.

Never stated.
That was a nunber Dreger pulled out of the air.

Check deeper in the thread on the main board.
Better shape, attended Roberts...no number.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
While there isn't really any hard proof that Kessel was a poor teammate or a locker room distraction, there's plenty of circumstantial evidence or smoke if you will, even going back to his days in college with Jack Johnson, as well as his tenure with the Boston Bruins and of course, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I'm sure lots of guys at UMichigan, hated guys at UMinn.

Grapes03

Feb 27, 2012

Kessel is as he has always been. An offensive winger with an introverted personality. It was a dumb idea to build a team around such a player but that wasn't Kessel's fault.

And now we're claiming salute gate was a Kessel led conspiracy? I mean it's like we're going out of our way to attack the guy over nonsense reasons.

I agree with Daisy it's time for fans to just drop this and move on. It's not worth being bitter over ancient history at this point.

Couldn't agree more. For years, these nutbars expected a sniper who hated the press to completely change who he was to fit their needs - nevermind the fact that the team was (and still is) without a center to pass him the puck.

I'm glad (for his sake) that he is in Pitt now, with Crosby, Malkin and Gary Roberts. I read that he is eating a bit healthier... that alone should help lead to a great year for him.

I'm still rooting for him all the way!

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
Fair to say everyone here will miss Kessel.

This is a fair comment since people who complain about having to read about Kessel come in to the threads that are expressly about Kessel. it's almost as if they can't let go either. Probably not though. I'm sure they don't miss him and will be glad when they don't have to read about him anymore....

Me personally, I like reading about Kessel. Was fan, still a fan. I hope he as a great year, just like I hope the Leafs do as well.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I'm sure lot of guys calls their peers "dirtbags" as well.

I thought for sure it was Skille who said that.

That could come from many an incident when they crossed paths in Madison.
It also could be because he went to UWisc, while Phil spurned it to go to a rival.

Unless you have further details about what Jack meant?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I liked Phil Kessel. I may still wear my Kessel jersey when I go to Leaf games.

That being said, I won't miss him. Not really. Sure, he may cross my mind now and then when I watch a game, but I won't miss him. Just like I never really missed Sundin, Gilmour, Sittler, Salming, Keon, etc. when they were no longer Leafs. I just accept the change and move on.

And if I want to read about Phil Kessel, I'll go to the Pittsburgh board. No real reason to discuss him here anymore.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I liked Phil Kessel. I may still wear my Kessel jersey when I go to Leaf games.

That being said, I won't miss him. Not really. Sure, he may cross my mind now and then when I watch a game, but I won't miss him. Just like I never really missed Sundin, Gilmour, Sittler, Salming, Keon, etc. when they were no longer Leafs. I just accept the change and move on.

And if I want to read about Phil Kessel, I'll go to the Pittsburgh board. No real reason to discuss him here anymore.

Now that kind of reasoning I dont understand? He might not be part of the current Leafs or our future. But he is part of our most recent history and have been part of two of the clubs biggest ever trades so there is a lot of reasons to discuss him on our board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad