News Article: Looking Back on the Maple Leafs Playoff Woes

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Anyone do the average salary of game winning goal scorers in playoffs for last season(s) ?

It would be an interesting number

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
As an exclusive measure of the things you're claiming/discussing, yeah it's pretty arbitrary. And the fact that they didn't make 11m is entirely meaingless, because nobody made 11m for the majority of the NHL's history.
They were never the highest paid player on their respective team. It's possible Gartner was paid pretty high. No I'm not factoring in inflation, revenue sharing, COVID, the flat cap, etc. I'm still back to the notion that NHL teams have players who can do great things in the playoffs and not be the highest paid. It's meaningful to the TOR situation a lot.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They were never the highest paid player on their respective team.
That's not true. Many of the top OT playoff goal scorers were high paid players. You literally just named Sakic. And the best playoff performers in general were high paid.
No I'm not factoring in inflation, revenue sharing, COVID, the flat cap, etc.
Yeah, you're not factoring in what salaries were, which makes the 11m discussion entirely meaningless.
I'm still back to the notion that NHL teams have players who can do great things in the playoffs and not be the highest paid.
Yes, players who aren't the highest paid can do great things. Any of an 11m player, a 6m player, or a league minimum player can have a big moment. Nobody has disputed this, but that doesn't discount the importance, impact, and consistency of the high paid players.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
That's not true. Many of the top OT playoff goal scorers were high paid players. You literally just named Sakic. And the best playoff performers in general were high paid.

Yeah, you're not factoring in what salaries were, which makes the 11m discussion entirely meaningless.

Yes, players who aren't the highest paid can do great things. Any of an 11m player, a 6m player, or a league minimum player can have a big moment. Nobody has disputed this, but that doesn't discount the importance, impact, and consistency of the high paid players.
No. 11m is symbolic. 3 of TOR's forwards get paid in and around that salary. This is how we got here in the first place. Few players take up the majority of the salary. Dubas then has to fill out the rest of the roster with league min. hopefuls. This combination has been nothing short of abject failure. The playoffs and winning the cup is the goal of this league.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No. 11m is symbolic. 3 of TOR's forwards get paid in and around that salary. This is how we got here in the first place. Few players take up the majority of the salary. Dubas then has to fill out the rest of the roster with league min. hopefuls. This combination has been nothing short of abject failure. The playoffs and winning the cup is the goal of this league.
You weren't using 11m "symbolically" originally, until it was pointed out how flawed it was. We have 3 forwards in that range, and they bring a ton of value and impact. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's far from just league minimum hopefuls beyond that. In addition to those 3, we have 7+ other forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies making more than league minimum; some considerably more. Winning the cup is the goal, but we haven't lost and we're not prevented from winning because of our cap allocation, and you don't get closer to the cup by throwing your best players overboard and making yourself worse.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
To me it doesn't matter how you got there in terms of game by game. It's the start vs end. If in 2022 they went down 0-3 and lost in game 7 would that change how you feel? And my point is in 2022, Toronto vs TB was like playing the 3rd round in the first round.

Before Game 1 they were only big favorites in 1 series, the Montreal one. Where they lost their Captain and third best forward less than 1 period into the series.
You've never played sports if you think your mindset being up 3-2 going into game 6 is the same as being down 3-2 heading into game 6. It's completely different and the Leafs choked it. There's let-up on the gas so to speak. Their first round series against the Bolts was definitely not the typical first round matchup but that doesn't matter.

Some teams go down as the Pens, Hawks, Bolts, Kings, others go down as the Sharks or maybe the Ovi Caps if things break right one year. At the Leafs current rate being able to achieve the Sharks level of success would be a miracle, let alone the Caps.

You can keep justifying their failures and choking all you want, I guess it helps you support the team continuously, doesn't change that they did choke. Matthew, Tavares, Marner, Nylander and they lose against the Jackets? Matthews, Marner and Nylander isn't enough against the Habs? Nylander is better than every forward they have let alone Matthews and Marner.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Wow I never knew about any of this, and hey isn't Simmons or Feschuk supposed to write these "wallow in your stink, filth and pity, suffer Leafs fans, suffer" type of articles?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I’d really like to here some input from fans what the reasoning is? Bad luck? I’d say goaltending has been the most common theme throughout the drought. The leafs have a great team so what is your opinion?
Everybody knows it's either Kerfoot or Holl who is to blame, c'mon man catch up, the trains' leaving for LeaFland any minute!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
They were never the highest paid player on their respective team. It's possible Gartner was paid pretty high. No I'm not factoring in inflation, revenue sharing, COVID, the flat cap, etc. I'm still back to the notion that NHL teams have players who can do great things in the playoffs and not be the highest paid. It's meaningful to the TOR situation a lot.

there ya go

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You weren't using 11m "symbolically" originally, until it was pointed out how flawed it was. We have 3 forwards in that range, and they bring a ton of value and impact. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's far from just league minimum hopefuls beyond that. In addition to those 3, we have 7+ other forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies making more than league minimum; some considerably more. Winning the cup is the goal, but we haven't lost and we're not prevented from winning because of our cap allocation, and you don't get closer to the cup by throwing your best players overboard and making yourself worse.
Maybe we do.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It is very obvious that you don't get closer to a cup by making yourself worse.
Worse is what TOR is now though. They are so poor in the playoffs that their own goal as team is to win a playoff round. That wasn't Shanny's vision. That's not what any professional team's vision looks like.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Worse is what TOR is now though. They are so poor in the playoffs that their own goal as team is to win a playoff round.
It can get vastly worse than what Toronto is now. Toronto's goal is the cup, and we have as good a chance as pretty much anyone.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It can get vastly worse than what Toronto is now. Toronto's goal is the cup, and we have as good a chance as pretty much anyone.
I disagree. Toronto has a good chance of making the playoffs. The debate is dead as to whether they can go far or whether they are built for the playoffs. They are mostly the same team as they were last year. They are not built to win in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Worse is what TOR is now though. They are so poor in the playoffs that their own goal as team is to win a playoff round. That wasn't Shanny's vision. That's not what any professional team's vision looks like.
What team got rid of better players for worse players and won more?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I disagree. Toronto has a good chance of making the playoffs. The dabate is dead as to whether they can go far or whether they are built for the playoffs. They are mostly the same team as they were last year. They are not built to win in the playoffs.
They are built to win, and that applies to both the regular season and playoffs. That doesn't always mean things are going to fall into place in an ideal way, but pretty much everywhere has them among the favourites to win the cup for a reason. They are not the same team as last year, but that wouldn't really be an issue if they were anyway, because they were an exceptionally good team last year and nothing that happened indicated an inability to win.

But regardless of where you think the Leafs are at, you obviously don't improve your chances by making yourself worse.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
What team got rid of better players for worse players and won more?
This either/or question is silly.

There are examples of teams over the years who re-tooled with different players. These players tended to be tougher, but also clutch. Both Detroit and Ottawa in years past. You could say that Shanahan was one of those difference makers that I'm speaking of. Shanahan the player and not the hack hockey executive.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I disagree. Toronto has a good chance of making the playoffs. The dabate is dead as to whether they can go far or whether they are built for the playoffs. They are mostly the same team as they were last year. They are not built to win in the playoffs.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me 6 times, shame on me. The only way we got better is if Florida, Tampa and Boston got worse and nobody below us got better enough to catch us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad