Looking back on 1st rounders, do you take the consensus picks or what we have?

Which set of 1st round picks would you prefer?

• Total voters

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Curious what people would prefer.

By consensus picks - I mean averaging draft rankings pre-draft.
I've averaged the rankings based on averaging twelve different draft rankings from analysts such as Bob McKenzie and Craig Button taken from the website My NHL Draft.

For example, see the 2014 NHL draft:

2014 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Nylander - 9, 5, 6 9, 8, 7, 5, 9, 4, 3, 6, 8
79 / 12 = 6.58 average

Ehlers -10, 4, 8, 8, 4, 8, 11, 6, 8, 5, 7, 6,
85 / 12 = 7.08 average

Ritchie - 6, 9, 7, 7, 5, 5, 10, 16, 7, 18, 9, 9,
108 / 12 = 9.00 average

For the later 1st round picks (24th and 23rd overall) - I just took a consensus rankings list (from the same website, just from 7 analyst rankings instead of 12) and chose the highest listed player that hadn't been drafted by the time we picked. 2015 was close between Merkley and Konecny, but ultimately Merkley was closer to the consensus highest pick.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
I pick "reality" based on thinking (more like praying!) Pettersson is way better than all the others.

Reactions: elwin316

desiboyyessir

Nov 2, 2017
Those two failed draft picks of Olli over Mathew and Virtanen over Ehlers, Nylander are blunders. Canucks' need one more elite player with a draft pick in the future, and then they can focus on building there atrocious defense.

Consesus or no consesus I just want a management with a brain. Scary thought Canucks' had Makar higher then Petterson, but thank god Colorado got that pick in that draft. Imagine Canucks' did go higher in draft position they would of picked Makar, the hockey gods saved us.

In the Future all we need is one more elite player, this would give the Canucks 3 - Petterson, Boeser and -----. You know if this team had a brain they could just trade Tanev in a package to get a decent prospect but heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Does Hughes qualify as a consensus pick?

Pretty sure most people were clamoring for Dobson since it was assumed that Hughes would go much earlier.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Does Hughes qualify as a consensus pick?

Pretty sure most people were clamoring for Dobson since it was assumed that Hughes would go much earlier.

2018 NHL Draft Rankings

Hughes: 5, 3, 6, 9, 6, 8, 7, 5, 10, 6, 4, 4. (based on the first 12 sources I used for the other draft pick rankings).
Average = 6.08.
Drafted 7th overall.

Wahlstrom could make a case: 6, 5, 5, 7, 10, 7, 5, 6, 9, 5, 5, 5 = 6.25

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
To answer the question however, REALITY ainec.

Pettersson may very well be the #1 guy from the 2017 draft, with respect to Hischier and Patrick. I know I’m obviously going to have a bias, but I don’t think either of those guys compare to Pettersson. We just may have Datsyuk/Zetterberg v 2.0 on our hands.

I also believe that Hughes will be the real #3 from the 2018 draft behind Dahlin and Svechnikov.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I pick "reality" based on thinking (more like praying!) Pettersson is way better than all the others.
Completely agree...the Pettersson selection could be one of the biggest selections ever by the franchise (along with Burkes acquisition of the Sedins),..I can hardly wait to see the Quinn Hughes/EP combo on the PP next season.....The quality of the 'reality' picks will exceed that of the consensus picks (my .02cents).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The only WTF pick we made was OJ over Tkachuk. I wanted Ehlers but could understand taking Virtanen at the time. OJ over Tkachuk mustve had some Linden vs Keith behind the scenes shenanigans. This year I was happy with Hughes and it was who everyone thought we would take but Dobson was right there as well.

linden vs keith, as in “that guy blew two 3-1 series leads over me and was terrible in the playoffs. no way in hell we’re drafting a tkachuk on my watch”?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In before a poster says that Boeser was the consensus pick and not Merkley. (or posters start changing the order)

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I’m surprised the results are so lopsided - I would have expected Nylander and Tkachuk to have offset some of the Boeser/Pettersson hype.

Obviously a lot of this poll will depend on what Glass, Juolevi, and Merkley end up becoming.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
May as well throw in Pastrnak
Uh Ehlers/Nylander and Tkachuk were the clear consensus picks, Pasta wasn’t.

I don’t see why we shouldn’t hold management accountable for not taking these guys if they’re the “super scouts” some of you guy say they are.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
Currently I mean you have to take reality right? The real question is: Nylander+Tkachuk or Boeser+Pettersson.

Nylander and Tkachuk are probably good for about 130 points/82 games, maybe 140 in a couple years. Boeser+Pettersson are for 70 +EP40 production/82 games.

We need much more data on Pettersson but quite honestly it seems like the sky is the limit and he could be pushing 90+ seasons as early as this year (!)

Of course the absolutely infuriating part is that these picks were NOT mutually exclusive! We could have all 4 of these players!

Tkachuk - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin - Pettersson - Nylander

Okay I gotta stop.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Uh Ehlers/Nylander and Tkachuk were the clear consensus picks, Pasta wasn’t.

I don’t see why we shouldn’t hold management accountable for not taking these guys if they’re the “super scouts” some of you guy say they are.

I just think it's silly to list off each player that is currently the best and bemoan them. If we want to criticize our drafting, how about the fact that we don't currently have a single full time NHLer (in any org) drafted outside of the 1st round under Benning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad